Is there a way to hit higher levels of protein without taking protein shakes ?

@childofgod56 My ass. I just read that you shouldn't eat anything less than 1500 calories in general so thats what i went with. Im not a big food person so it doesnt bother me to cut out calories.

@harmony77 Well, at least you're honest.

If you're looking to get lean, you need to preserve muscle mass and 1500 is going to make that difficult. Not sure male or female, at your height a healthy weight is 133-163 for men and 122-149 for women. Either way, I think you're being a little too aggressive on your cut.

A man of your height and weight (est around 30 years old) has a bmr of 1774 calories a day. That's calories burned just sitting on your couch all day long, not moving at all. For a woman that's cut to 1556. Add in your activity level and you're looking at 2750/2428 calories just to maintain weight.

All this to say, you probably shouldn't be eating so little. To lose 1 pound per week you should be aiming for a deficit of about 500 calories per day, and while they say you can lose up to 2 lbs safely remember that it'll be less sustainable long term AND you'll likely lose more muscle. Aim for 1 pound, adjust as needed, and you'll be better off in the long-run.

@harmony77 That's probably a better target than what you're at, and you'll be able to get more protein from it as well.

If you want some more accurate results without sharing info here, mayo clinic has a good calorie calculator here

@harmony77 2000 calories is average normal. 1500 is weight loss.
To gain muscle mass you have to have a surplus. Cant make muscle out of nothing.

If its a surplus and you dont work out you get fat.

Thats general rule.

@carterkrz Its a calorie deficit. You lose weight at that. If you want muscle it cant be created out of nothing. It needs calories. You have to have a surplus to create muscle.

If your not trying to get muscle and stay "thin" then should still hit about 1800-2200 calorie. 1500 you will lose weight. Like a lb a week or so. Also depends on metabolism.

@harmony77 Ignore that other person, 1500 is fine for your size!

It depends on your size, but I'd say the amount is more 1200 to not eat below, but a smaller woman could probably go lower. It ultimately comes down to hitting your protein/fat goals.

Speaking of which, you could get away with a smaller protein goal. The recommendation is .8-1g per pound of lean body weight. I'm also 5'7 and I aim for a floor of 100g a day. So that may make it mentally easier on you to aim for that. Also, don't avoid dietary fats, you need around 30-40g a day for healthy hormone production.

@dinafrancis yeah 1500 seems fine im not feeling any negative effects( affects? effects right? ). and dont worry i have sex with avocados daily. I just forgot to mention it because were already so intimate. I love avocados. But ty for your response

@harmony77 Bone broth! Supplement it for water in shakes or when cooking anything. It sneaks in so many extra grams of protein

This 24oz bottle is 39 grams of protein. Look for the “butcher’s bone brothe”

@harmony77 I know chicken gets old and ready-made protein drinks can be costly…

I have found good protein in some bars, waffle mixes, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, milk, nuts, beans, pork loin, pickled herring and shrimp.

@harmony77 I like the Kirkland protein bars but there are others that are good or better

I have started scanning the barcodes on the boxes using the Fooducate app before I buy anything now :)

@harmony77 Chicken breast and egg whites are both very low calorie and high in protein. You can but 96% lean turkey that is low in calories as well. 2% cottage cheese and sugar free yogurts are good for snacks.

@harmony77 1500 calories a day is far too low for you. Your basal metabolic rate is approximately 1750 cals per day. With exercise and other activity you need at very minimum 2300 calories a day and even at that you’d be in a 300-400 calorie deficit. Eating 1500 calories a day will stagnate your weight and make leaning out incredibly difficult.

@dawn16 I have ppl saying no ppl saying yes on this topic so ill let you guys kill each other in the comments over who's right. Thank you for your service.

Ill increase my calorie intake for now and see what works. I kinda just started so im still figuring everything out.

no worries tho if i die i die, fuck it.

@harmony77 You will likely gain a couple pounds of water weight right off the bad increasing your calories but don’t freak out. It will balance out over time and you will lose weight in that calorie range. Let me know if you have any more questions, I do this for a living.