Is this dumb? Why can’t I enjoy my free gym options? Just get the expensive membership?

jay1969

I moved in the fall and was very busy at work until recently, and looking back I’ve now had the longest hiatus from the gym since 2020 (haven’t gone consistently since mid July). It is now December and I am itching to go back and I’ve tried but many things have changed. Health-wise I need to focus on my heart health and blood pressure. I have some pretty numeric goals unlike the past, and more focus on BP, heart rate, etc. I would appear to be a very healthy person but seems I have bad luck / genes. (May also be covid related - I’m working with my doctor). I really fell off the bandwagon addressing my health and I’m accepting I will always need to be a much more consistent, well above-average fit person.

I tried utilizing my new apartment gym, thinking I got such a deal with my new spot. Yeah I tried to love it but it kind of sucks. Or I am just lazy and haven’t hacked it yet. One bench and a bunch of dumbbells,some of the machines don’t work and realistically I’d use the cable pull and treadmill/bike most outside of the free weights. Beautifully, it is always empty. I have tried going here since I moved and I am incredibly uninterested. As in, I can’t just “show up” and get into it, I procrastinate as I’m working out and sort of cut the workout short. And these are workouts I’ve done before and enjoyed. Sometimes I’ll come back and say “That was..acceptable, just a couple more times and I will get back into it” but then I don’t miss it when I’m gone. When I want to work out, I actually do yoga and body weight shit in my apartment instead of the gym! I used to hate working out on a mat (well I still do), and I would never choose it over a gym. Tbh this is all unusual for me and that’s why I am about to take the nuclear option (Equinox membership) if I can’t figure this out.

My other options are: (1) Cross fit gym (10min walk), kickboxing/wresting gym (10min walk), work gym (30 min walk/20 walk and bike/25min train /10-15min bus). Equinox is near work so similar. If I’m going that “far” (no car) I feel like it will have to be something nice. My work gym, although free which is amazing, has cold showers and coworkers there when I would work out. I feel like a $250 membeship can’t be my only option, but then I think of how long I’m gonna just putter in and out of the gym when money could theoretically solve my problems.

Note my old membership that was about $65/month and a 6min walk from my old place. Kinda mid but had everything I needed. Didn’t like the showers only used them 5ish times, but didn’t need to. The experiences made me extra skeeved about cleanliness, and if I’m going that “far” now I know I will shower. And I’m trying to increase my # sessions from my typical 3x to 5-6x (classes and cardio days are in there now).

Is there any way to salvage this situation? Feels like i have great free options on paper yet not in practice, are there realistic tweaks I can make to get my to the point where I’d go 5-6x times a week?? Or at least 4-5 since I’d have to figure out how to replace the class option — I have done Peloton on the app and liked it, I thinkmy work gym has free apps/guided exercises.

Or should I (shudder) join cross fit?

P.S.: I am likely taking a tour of Equinox on Friday and then am out of town for the holidays. So still have to confirm if it meets my expectations.

@jay1969 I'd been battling the same issue with motivating myself to be consistent with and complete workouts. I did a 2 week free trial of the Copilot app because kept seeing content from ADHD content creators who said it helped them build exercise consistency; I thought I'd give it a shot and just quit at the end of the trial.

Basically it pairs you with a personal trainer over the app, and they customize a workout plan based on your equipment, current level of fitness, goals, etc, and they also mix up the plan every few weeks. You decide on workout days with them, and when you start a workout in the app (which you can do anytime), your trainer's voice cues the exercise moves, and they're there rooting you on throughout the week and updating reps/weights based on how difficult/easy it is.

I can't tell you how much of a game changer it's been for me. Before, the most structured thing I'd do was throw on a workout video a few times a month when I'd remember to, and go on short walks most days.

Now I'm doing two 35-40 minute strength workouts a week, and I've been consistent for over a month — the longest I've been consistent with an exercise program anytime in at least a decade. Maybe worth giving it a shot if you're anything like me and need someone else to hold you accountable.

@inthemotions thank u for this suggestion!!! utilizing body doubling even remotely has made a huge difference in my productivity and the idea that it could be done for fitness is a game changer

@jay1969 I pay $210 for lifetime fitness and I’ve never regretted it. I’m there every day and use it on days I’m not working out too. It’s worth every penny for those amenities, the classes, cafe, saunas, pools, fancy equipment and variety.

@jay1969 working out and being motivated to do so is very valuable to me. so i pay for a membership through my health insurance that allows me to use several gyms around town. some are better than others, but it means i'm always near enough to a gym. i also have realized that if i had a home gym i'd use it sometimes, but i prefer to work out around people. it's more motivating to me for some reason.

@jay1969 To give credit where credit is die to my apartment complex, when the gyms had to close during COVID (I live in CA), they redid ours. Installed GREAT AC, redid the floors, completely upgraded the equipment. It's small, but they really maximized the space. It's not the same workout I get at the gym, but it's right next to one of the laundry rooms (two birds, one stone) and is great in a pinch.

I also have a ton of "light-ish" workout equipment at home.

@jay1969 Are you me? I moved into my complex because they had a "gym". Two treadmills, smith machine.... That's it 😂 I chose that one to motivate me to lose weight and it's been 4 years lmaooo I've done more with a 8lb weights and a chair at home! Dying to incorporate heavy lifting to my journey but can't splurge on a membership rn.

@jay1969 Are you mainly planning to use the treadmill, bike, and dumbbells? Does every gym you have mentioned have everything you need for the workout you want to do? If so, I think the apartment gym sounds like the best deal. I get not wanting to use the work gym, as I really appreciate getting away from work at the gym. If you go to the gym after work, as I do, you can just shower at home, so the cold showers might not be a problem. Also, I’m not sure if the distance to the gym near work makes much difference, since you will be at work anyway.

But if you want to do Equinox, and you can afford it, you certainly have my blessing. :)

@hangingout If I use the apartment gym, I would theoretically use the treadmill and bike. If I did equinox, mostly I’d bike during the cycling classes like Cyclebar and my bike/run/walk to/from the gym would suffice as my treadmill and bike. I am not super motivated to use them indoors tbh, and previously I rarely did.

I also would return to using the squat rack and beloved hip thrust machine, which I told myself I would do without in the apartment gym.
Essentially, I can tweak my exercises for the apartment gym and I have tried but since they are not my default preference I find the exercises are falling flat.

@jay1969 As long as you can afford the Equinox membership, I don’t think there’s an issue with choosing an option that will help motivate you.

I pretty much have a whole CrossFit gym in my garage (which I do use sometimes), but I also pay $225 per month to go to a CrossFit gym because going there motivates me to work out more often and to put in more effort. Some people may think I’m crazy for buying all the equipment for a gym and paying an expensive monthly gym membership, but I can afford it and I like having the options.

Health is priceless, and if choosing a more expensive option helps you stay motivated and consistent with your workouts, I think it’s a good investment.

@jay1969 My apartment gym also sucks, but I still use it since it’s not busy. I use a combination of my apartment gym, a large membership gym, and working out at home. On top of that, I also use ClassPass to sign up for workout classes. With ClassPass and my gym, I pay $60 a month. This system works great for me because I have adhd, so I am always trying something new in a different environment.

@jay1969 Reading this I feel like equinox is the answer. You should feel good and enjoy your time spent on fitness - as long as it’s in budget.

Will they let you do a trial period?

@eshaun92 I think they will let me do one week, but have to take the tour still. I heard you can technically get other trial days if you say you’re considering another/destination location, but not sure.

@jay1969 I've been using my building's gym to save money this year, and it's a pretty simple setup - one bench, dumbbells, cable machine, treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike. I started using this online tool to specifically find dumbbell strength training exercises and make a push/pull/legs split using the equipment at hand, and I've been seeing results! Best of luck to you :)

https://musclewiki.com/