Is this dumb? Why can’t I enjoy my free gym options? Just get the expensive membership?

@jay1969 If you have health insurance, look and see if they offer some sort of fitness program/deal. Ex: BlueCrossBlue Shield offers access to gyms in your area for like $30. The more you pay, the more access you have to instructors/classes/better gyms.

@jay1969 Join the one that you enjoy being in the most. It's worth the price. Much like you I have to do more work than the average person it seems to maintain. My body loves a high level of activity but has the personality of a lazy bum. I will never work out early in the morning except to do a walk, I'll never only be able to work out at home in a consistent way, I need to go to a physical gym where the is no choice but to work out.

Ultimately you have to do what works best for you and keeps you going. Don't put unneeded barriers in your way, it's hard enough to stay consistent over the long haul.

@jay1969 Just wanted to mention that you should consider if you would realistically go to Equinox on a day you’re not at work. I’m also a member of Equinox because it’s in my office building, so it works well most of the time, but I don’t go on weekends and days I take off work because no way I’m commuting 45min into NYC to work out, especially with weekend bus/train schedules. So it throws my schedule off sometimes.

@jay1969 I waffled for a couple years about joining a high-end gym that I can walk to. Finally I realized it was the only way I was going to work out consistently, and I was right. It’s worth every penny and more. I don’t know what your best choice is among those you listed, but if you can afford it, I absolutely encourage splurging on the right gym. A gym can be so much more than just equipment, you know?

@jay1969 I have a wide variety of workout options at home including a stationary bike and a very robust weight set. If I wanted to, I could get nearly endless effective workouts without leaving the house. I'd like to tell you that I love to work out at home and enjoy the most frugal options available.

Except I don't.

Group fitness classes are truly one of the one ways I enjoy working out. I'm just simply not motivated to do it on my own without someone encouraging me along the way. The bottom line is that your health and fitness is the most important thing you have. I'm very frugal in other ways, but I've always been into splurging for fitness classes or nice gyms as I know it's what actually gets me moving. Sometimes the least expensive option isn't the one that makes the most sense for you, and if it's within your budget, that's OK. It's also okay to mix-and-match with something like 2 apartment gym workouts a week and 2 drop-in yoga classes or something where you're in between.

@nmjeepr75 Yeah, I have a ton of equipment and barely use it, occasionally the exercise bike. Going to a nice place with decent showers makes such a difference to me. I work from home so it's nice to get out.

@jay1969 I do understand where you're coming from.....I'm the exact same way with the free gym at my condo.

I did use to have a membership with [insert chain gym here] before I moved in here, so it was your standard chain gym with barbells and machines and whatnot. Didn't go for the classes that were included in the membership, but did go outta my way to to pack my shit for showers there despite me living like a 15 min walk away......

If you're anything like me, maybe the money and having to make the trip there forms part of the motivation to turn up and smash out a workout? As opposed to just appearing at the free condo gym and half-assing a workout, y'know, with the knowledge that "hey, its just....here. and it's free??"

I have to say that I have not found a solution to this and have signed up for a membership somewhere else again, so I'm in the same boat as you! The price we pay for fitness....

@nic614 Haha oh no you understand too well. We definitely pay a price for it, it has me reconsidering “perks” in apartments, as well as these really hectic corporate jobs that pay well but make you pay in health.

@bdspires Not sure where I said I mostly wanted to do cardio, but no I want to lift weights primarily but higher-rep/quick-paced and then focus in on low-impact and HIIT cardio on days I’d normally consider “rest” days.

@shoeshavetongues But I’m not sure what you mean by focus on cardio, it sounds to me like running/biking with some light weights and a HIIT focus. That’s just not my taste. I would still lift most of my workout days. I would deprioritize increasing my weight and allow cardio to hinder my gains quite a bit in the name of heart health.

@shoeshavetongues The question was “If you’re mostly wanting to do cardio why not buy home equipment? Stationary bike, treadmill, etc. or take up running which is free?” I dont want to do that 5 days a week I want weights and flexibility on what my lifting days will look like.

Not sure where we aren’t understanding each other or where the downvotes are coming front. Do people not see why alternating lifting and cardio/mobility days would be most desirable for many people?