Just watched an interview with the OG Hannibal For King

@pete8455 Zef Zakaveli is also a promoter of high volume training.

That guy has crazy endurance and muscle mass as well.

The Harlem S.E.A.L.S. do the same workouts too. There's a pushup challenge the Technician has on the channel that's absolutely brutal and it's easy money for the guy.

@goldnagel they arent training for "perfect form" they are training for endurance, when you are doing reps so fast, sometimes your rom might suffer a bit, but make no mistake, this guys could do a shitton perfect form reps without any trouble whatsoever

@goldnagel Listen, when you're doing high volume like that you can't complain too much about form.

If the guy wants to he will still smoke most people in a competition and do it with proper form, but he's building endurance and you don't have to be so strict about form unless it's needed.

He's a legend of the calisthenics game and saying his form is appaling is sour grapes.

@christian5487 Poor form is poor form, I wouldn't let someone get away with it if they were a beginner. So why give a pass to someone who is very advanced? If it's not a full ROM and it's not a deliberate half movement then it's fair to say it's sloppy.

@petercoh It's crazy that a couple of randos on the internet are questioning the guy who set the groundwork for endurance training in calisthenics.

You're acting like every exercise he's doing is with bad form. He's deliberately doing shorties in his pullup exercises to tire the biceps even more.

When you guys are going to be able to do his workouts regularly then you can criticize him.

@christian5487 If you read my post I said " If it's not a full ROM and it's not a deliberate half movement then it's fair to say it's sloppy."

If they were deliberate half movements to work the bicep, thats fine. But if someone was watching and thinking they could get away with copying him because he is "the guy who set the groundwork for endurance training in calisthenics". Then you'd want them to know its not full ROM and not a great basic training exercise.

@petercoh You can copy him if you're training for endurance because it's a great way to keep the muscles under tension constantly while you're hanging on the bar as opposed to going all the way down and taking a breather for a second before going back up again, but obviously you'd first have to learn how to perform the exercise correctly if you're a total beginner until you reach a good amount of reps.

He can afford to do shorties for his workouts because he's a veteran and knows how to perform the exercises with proper form.

@christian5487 I think we are on the same page. I just teach kids and teenagers and the amount of them that will copy something they see a pro doing with no understanding of WHY has made me super uncomfortable with letting people get away with bad technique.

@pete8455 I'm going to be honest and very unpopular with this.

HFK is a legend and he was one of my earliest influences that pushed me towards not just calisthenics but fitness in general. His superhuman tricks and feats of strength mesmerized me, along with the ripped physique that seemed out of this world at the time.

That being said, the guy is not smart or knowledgeable at all. He just has crazy work ethics and went to the park consistently for a long ass time (probably has better, more athletic genetics than the average Joe too). If you do that for 10+ years, you will see great results. That doesn't mean it's the most efficient way to reach those results. I rather trust what proper exercise science has to say and treat these guys more like just examples.

Working out with high reps/high volume has its pros and cons. It's not a bad idea to implement it periodically into your programming. But it's not some magic way to do things that opens up gains you couldn't otherwise get (except for endurance obviously).

@lindajot Jeff Nippard has a vid on his channel about the new research saying that 5-35 reps can build muscle if you train hard and close to failure.

Sure there is probably better ways to train than spam super high reps all the time. Doing cycles of strength and volume has proven to be effective as well as light medium and heavy days.

@pete8455 Which means, you can progress in a very wide range as long as you're consistent and keep challenging yourself. I personally don't favor high reps though because it feels worse for my joints and also the workouts can get crazy long. I usually try to stay below 15-20 reps, but then again, it's good to shake things up a little from time to time.

@pete8455 Any examples then of high rep old school training workouts? Or would it just be RR where you'd go up to 20 reps on all exercises? Wouldn't this take ages to finish?

@emiliierase here is Hannibal For King basic stuff, typically done in a circuit

Pull-ups

5-10 Reps 1-3 Sets Beringer

10 Reps 5 Sets Intermediate

10 Reps 6-10 Sets Advanced

Dips

10 Reps 1-3 Sets Beringer

15 Reps 5 Sets Intermediate

20 Reps 6-10 Sets Advanced

Diamond Push-Ups

5-10 Reps 1-3 Sets Beringer

20 Reps 5 Sets Intermediate