Made absolutely no progress in the past year when I had pretty much everything dialed in, starting to lose motivation..

@kct29 6 foot male at 2200 calories? As a 5'7'' woman at 128~ lbs my maintenance is WELL over 2200 calories. Unless you're BMR has been absolutely destroyed there is absolutely no way 2200 is a surplus. No, these things aren't the most accurate but at least it gives you a ballpark: https://tdeecalculator.net/

@kct29 Idk why everyone is comparing calories relatively. It's a very subjective measure imo. I'm bulking at a rate of 0.41lbs/week on 2261cal per day which translates to 200 surplus daily, from what I know that's the surplus you should be aiming for in a lean bulk no?

@wmsgil Maybe it's time to create a custom workout plan tailored to what works for you? Do you think you're knowledgeable enough yet to do that? You've been training a while, you might be able to give it a stab.

You mentioned being a recovering volume junkie, given that you take everything to 0-1 RIR, you definitely can run into recovery issues on higher volume.

Because of that intensity, I also personally recommend against 6 day frequency if you're doing that.

If you don't, given the way you train, I recommend longer rests between sets (3 mins is a good point to hit) and lower-mid volume. Start on the lower end, say 4-8 sets per muscle per week, and increase in small increments if you're not progressively getting stronger.

Just some general basic tips in case you're missing these:

Focus on movements that have strength curves that are hardest at the bottom (DB Fly being an extreme example) and really milk the eccentric on these. Try sticking to 8-12 reps on most lifts, a bit lower and somewhat higher for certain lifts is 100% okay, but 8-12 is a great safe range that works for 90% of exercises (bent rows and lateral raises I'd def go higher, squats/dls I'd do 6-8 personally).

As a final note, this isn't something I can personally say works for me, but: some people who were more advanced have told me they really benefit from steeper bulks. I've always lean bulked and never had issues, but you could try a steeper bulk. That's a last resort to me though, lol.

@ainigma
Maybe it's time to create a custom workout plan tailored to what works for you? Do you think you're knowledgeable enough yet to do that?

I'm not sure tbh, I really don't know how to evaluate a physique so idk if I can address any weak points.

I recommend longer rests between sets (3 mins is a good point to hit) and lower-mid volume. Start on the lower end, say 4-8 sets per muscle per week, and increase in small increments if you're not progressively getting stronger.

Yep that's what I plan to do to address the volume part of the problem.

some people who were more advanced have told me they really benefit from steeper bulks.

As in a bigger calorie surplus? Interesting, you'd think a smaller surplus is better for advanced trainee due to how little muscle they can theoretically put on. Will keep this in mind, thanks!

@wmsgil You mention not seeing any progress, and give lots of details on what you're doing to try and achieve your goals, but you don't mention what your goals are. What are you trying to achieve? For lots of lifters the goal is to get a solid physique, which you've already achieved.

If you're lifting aimlessly without a clear target in mind, I'm not surprised you haven't accomplished it. The more you progress, the harder and more specific your training needs to be. Eating a balanced diet, getting good sleep, working hard in the gym are all great and what every beginning/intermediate lifter should strive for, but to push beyond the intermediate you need to really drill down and specialize to get to the next level.

@wmsgil Unless not getting stronger means that you made your exercises significantly hard then that is your problem.

If your program isnt making you stronger it isnt working. After noob gains only technique and muscle gain make you stronger.

The like problem at your place is likely 1) fatigue management and 2) personalisation. 3) you might be staying to lean.

@wmsgil I agree with most of the comments about varying your split too much. I would recommend only changing splits every quarter (4 months) not every month.

Also i would up your calorie intake so that you cpuls get more protien. 141g of Protien is way too lower to make significant gains at you Body Fat%. Just eyeballing it , you probably need like 220g.

@wmsgil You are visibly leaner in the pic from 2023. My only suggestion would be to train specifically for strength during your next bulk. You are probably plateauing here due to too much volume. Find a good powerlifting program and really build up your strength base for 6-12 months. It will transfer over to your bodybuilding training once you get back to that.

@wmsgil The reality is that natural bodybuilding is hard (especially after puberty when you no longer have the recovery benefits, gh and test levels of a teenager) Alot of lifters think their noob gains are just going to keep coming and ends up miserable (not saying that's you)

If I was you id do a dirty bulk and hit each muscle group 3 times a week, avoiding lifts that tax your cns too much. High rep high bar squats, hack squats, dips, incline curls, incline dumbbell bench. Focus on contraction and stretch, and perfect form.

Just what id do.

I'll also add that focusing on lifting a certain weight is probably the biggest mistake a natural can do, focus on getting stronger in the 5-10 rep range. Don't get into this "when I lift x for my 1 rep max I'll definitely look bigger" It very often leads to injury or disappointment.