Mod Post: The Ideal Gym

@acer621 A gym where men instantly go blind if they so much as give a woman the up-down. I’m not intimidated by the machines, but the inevitable sexual harassment makes my workouts go from great to hurried and clumsy.

@syriacjohn I just realized how ridiculous it is that I pay 20 bucks a month extra just to have the safety of an all women’s section. Why should I have to pay more for that?!?

@acer621 Lots of natural lighting!!! Something with a lot of windows and natural light coming in would make it more enjoyable to work out in in my opinion rather than the fluorescent lights.

Also having group fitness classes midday! I’ve noticed a lack of midday group fitness classes both at chain gyms and boutique fitness studios, which is annoying because there’s so many people out there who work alternative schedules/not 9-5 and would benefit from classes being available from like noon to five pm.

@bear238 Gym schedules are designed to be irritating as fuck. Like why would I want a before work spin class at a different time everyday. Just offer the same time so people can form a routine!!!

@acer621 My ideal gym is a straight smith machine, a variety of dumbbells and a donkey kick machine in my house.

I only feel comfortable adding weight on a smith machine (back problems and nerve damage make me super scared of hurtin my back)

@acer621 I want an underwater obstacle course in part of the pool because that sounds fun. I used to make underwater courses with rings to swim through for my swim lessons students, but it would be totally impractical to lifeguard that sort of thing since you just don't know how proficient all the swimmers are when they come in. And it would be a headache to vacuum the pool around all the stuff floating in it. But a girl can dream, right?

@peterjames0510 In case you ever get an opportunity:

To make the one we had, you would just take a hula hoop and attach a length of string and a weight to it. Repeat with more hoops and varying lengths of string. You can then dolphin kick through the hoops!

I'd recommend not wearing fins or mermaid tails while doing it. Those make it easy to swim but not so easy to tread water or come up for air unless you have a lot of practice with them.

Water that's around 1.5 - 2 meters deep is also good. You don't want the strings on the hoops to be terribly long because someone could get tangled. And if someone does get tangled, you'd much rather it happen in a shallow(ish) area where it's easy to pull them out as opposed to the deep end.

@ewcia6000 This sounds so fun, and I really hope I get the opportunity to make one! It would be fun for everyone! I need it to be safe to have a mermaid themed birthday party ASAP (maybe next summer lol).

I played underwater hockey for 6ish years and am pretty used to full sized fins. I think I’d want to do this without the fins to make it more fun, though.

And agreed on the water depth, especially if I knew the swimming ability of the participants varied.

@acer621 Same as my current gym, but the lunk alarm goes off anytime one of the bros with bad form even thinks about saying, "mind if I give you some advice?"

@acer621 My ideal gym would be a home gym for sure. It would have all the equipment I need, ideally using machines that are multi-purposed so I don’t need to have 20 in one location. There’s a mirror/ballet/yoga area for cool down stretching. There’s an indoor climbing wall as well.

Definitely a mini fridge and kitchen to make smoothies and protein shakes.

And a chandelier hangs from the ceiling because we’re fucking classy in this home gym lol.

Friends and family can use the gym, but if they do, they clean up after themselves and put all the weights back where they found them.

Indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi would be nice because fuck it, this is my fantasy

@acer621 I want a gym that has some ninja-warrior style equipment that’s more about having fun. Like monkey bars, a wall to run up, a pit filled with real lava idk

@mateovolta You should check out ninja gyms! We have a few around here, and a few gymnastics places have a’ I ja course’. I looked at one and it was pricey, ngl. But it came with trainers to show you the ropes and after a while the price dropped when you didn’t need anymore training and could do stuff on your own.

@mateovolta Have you seen the Netflix show "The Floor is Lava"? Your comment made me realise my ideal gym would have a whole set of obstacle rooms like on the show.

@tjh I love this show and watch it with my kids! One of my dreams is to be on a show like this. It motivates me when I’m not feeling my workouts lol.

@maribi I joke with my daughter that I’m actively training to be on it, I do random large jumps whenever I see two spots far enough away to seem impressive. She’s 10, so she just rolls her eyes.

Back