Morbidly obese where to start

ehuntington

Title says it all mostly. I’m 34 6ft and weigh in the 370s to be frank I’ve e been lazy, I’ve developed diabetes, and honestly just existing is hard. I have a gym membership but it’s overwhelming when I walk in. Where do I start? Ideally I want to lose weight, I’m working on my diet and going through the path for weight loss surgery. But what are some recommendations for getting started with moving again.

@dawn16 This answer here OP
Walking + Improving diet is really all you need right now. Maybe some beginner bodyweight exercises (chair squats, wall pushups, working up to dead hangs on bars)

@autumnleaves And if you don't live in a walkable area, just put on an audio book and walk for a chapter or two. I live in a very walkable city, but when I visit my family in the rural South just walking around listening to audio books and podcasts and not having to deal with my family is great

@dawn16 Came to say the same. I wasn't huge, but I'm 5'7 F and was pushing 200. To me that was obese enough. I got too comfortable being a SAHM all of a sudden. Lol and yeah I'm lazy. So I started walking. Small distance to start but slowly worked myself up to 3 miles, than 4, than 5. Of course taking weeks to build up to it. I now walk up to 10 miles when I go on my walks and normally just walk 3 times a week plus have worked on doing a workout on the days I don't walk.

But walking is what allowed me to drop 20 lbs and then felt more comfortable doing workouts.
Walking was my saving grace. If I never started walking I probably would still be lazy. I mean I am lazy with other things so I still have work to do, but seriously walking is what got me into my health journey and now I want to do a thru hike of the Appalachian trail, so I'm training for that now. Well, slowly training and my goal is to do it for my 50th bday in 7 years. Lol slowly work up to it.

Best of luck to you, and please give yourself some grace on this journey, it takes time to lose weight.

@dawn16 100%. Not only is a low impact way to get moving and burn some calories, it gets your brain starting to feel the benefits of exercise.

I'm 35 y/o, 6'2" and 230 lbs and after letting myself go pretty badly for a while and getting extremely depressed, walking was the first step (ba dum tsss) in getting my body and mind back in a good place. There's no shame in starting slow, and it's honestly really sensible based on my experience.

@dawn16 Can't emphasize this enough. Just start, just start walking.

I just started working out and I became overwhelmed with all the ideas for diet plans and exercises.

So I just said screw it, I'll just start on one machine and start working my way through.

Just start. Even if you're doing one machine, focus on the that one thing.

I don't know how you are but if I focus on trying to do things right, I lose myself in the minutiae.

I don't even weigh myself anymore, my clothing tells enough of the story.

@humblebeforethelord I’m early stages I have 3 months of weigh ins to go through and then I’ll get scheduled. I just have to show any weight loss during that 3 months, but I want to make sure I show enough, I’m worried if I just do the minimum I’ll fluctuate like I do now and not be under my original weigh in

@ehuntington What you are doing right now is for some the hardest part. Weight loss is only a part of what should be a significant lifestyle change if you want to succeed. It is in my view it is 75% eating 25% exercising. If you can, join a support group to help you through that life changing journey.

@ehuntington Diet is the most important thing. If you could lose the weight without the surgery, that'll be best for you long term. But this is something to discuss with your doctors. Surgury or not, you need to work on building the healthy habits needed to lose the weight AND keep it off. Surgery isn't a magic bullet.

If you have access to a pool... get in the pool as much as possible. That'd be the BEST option. Hell, even exchange your gym membership for an indoor pool membership.

Beyond that, I would focus on low impact stuff. A stationary bike or elliptical would be your next best start.

For weight lifting, honestly just starting with some basic body weight movements would be great. If your gym has a TRX, you can use that for additional support for squats (and I'd do box squats, where you squat down like you're going to sit on a chair, but just barely let your butt touch it and then stand up. Do not actually sit down. But it's there in case you fail and then you can sit down). You could do wall pushups. Dumbbell RDL. Bench support single arm rows. Seated overhead press. And maybe some cable stuff like lat pull downs.

Your concern now shouldnt' really be so much lifting weights, it should just be getting more activity in until you're at a much safer weight.

At home, you could also get more activity in by simply just standing more often. Try and stand for maybe 5 minutes every hour. If you can manage that, try 10 minutes. Every little bit helps!

@ehuntington WALK. I was obese and I walked ...now I am fit. Walk at least one and a half hour every day.

When you lose some weight get some weight straps for the arms and walk with them.

After losing more weight get some weight vests or load the backpack with weights equal to the weight that you lost, and walk like that. (Be careful don't harm yourself)

Walk one and half hour every day. Walk at different locations. Enjoy the view, enjoy the scenery and enjoy your music.

Buy thick bottom shoes/ sneakers.

You will lose weight and become healthier of yourself in a year I promise.

@ehuntington Find one spot on your body where you are (or at least feel) strong. To start, we just want to be careful to reduce injury. While elevating the heart rate.

Someone said walking. ABSOLUTELY WALK. When your feet or joints get tired, find a spot on the couch where maybe you can work your arms. Controlled, lightweight reps (fast as you can but again, DONT RISK INJURY) will again elevate the heart rate.

Once you find that you can get your heart rate elevated for an extended period the goal is to find some stairs. Or a hill.

This is not a sprint. Stay healthy so you can continue the journey. The goal is to climb stairs or a hill without being completely gassed. When you start to notice yourself handling this easier, your progress is right in front of your face.

Find a routine, and crush it. Once your routine is crushed, add a smidgen more difficulty.

I could go on, but I'll end with diet.

This is my struggle.

You will find all of this comes together fast(est) if you commit to both. I mean I've seen the weight literally fall off when committed to both. I've seen ok results when only committed to one or the other. Ditch the soda and snacks. Be hungry. Train your brain to use it as motivation. Hunger pangs? Drink a glass of ice cold water. Do not starve yourself though!!

Steady is the course. Best of luck.

@ehuntington Most importantly, make sure you have a strong support group. (We're here! 😉) I'm assuming they are working on your eating habits/relationship with food. Very important to establish a positive dynamic with that. Don't be hard on yourself (easier said than done) if you're not progressing as well as you'd like. If your goal is to walk 15 minutes a day and you're not up for it, try to walk 5 minutes (or even 1!). If you don't feel like exercising at the gym, try to just get there and walk up to the door. Even if you don't go in, it's a good step in the right direction of being in the habit of going there. As someone posted, walking is an excellent overall starting point (and good for the long term also) as you progress to more physically challenging exercises.

Best of luck to you on this journey. Be patient and kind to yourself along the way.