My arm just "turned off"

faithlife1

Last week I went climbing in a Fun Forest with my work, because it was the companies 15th anniversary. There were 9 climbing routes you could do, 1 being the easiest, 9 being the hardest. I was extremely stupid and wanted to do route 9, because I thought "it didn't look so tough". It was physically extremely hard. I was sore till 2 days after, and I couldn't even grab pots and pans and stuff.

Now it's almost 1 week later, and I still can hardly do stuff with my arm... I tried doing bicep curls with dumbbells, it just simply doesn't work. I have one of those grip trainer things and I just can't close my fist, I can't do pull-ups any more because the right side of my arm, shoulder and back is just "turned off". That is the right description of it: It feels like it just turns of when I want to do an exercise or do something as simple as grab a pan with food in it... It doesn't hurt at all, it just doesn't work.

I'm well aware that injuries, overtraining and soreness takes time. Sometimes a couple of days, sometimes a couple of weeks. Since it's just a week ago, maybe I'm worrying too much and I just need patience. But I've never experienced this before. I've been working out for a couple of years now and had a few injuries before. Once for 4 weeks. But never have I experienced that a muscle just "turns off".

Does anyone know what that could be? Do I need to wait, recover, and I'm good to go?

Thank you in advance.

(P.s. sorry if my grammar is kind of bad sometimes, I'm not that good at English :D)

@faithlife1 If a visit to your general practitioner or doctor doesn’t cost too much, I would have it checked out. It may be nothing but soreness and fatigue! But just in case, check it out

@faithlife1 The brachial plexus is a channel of nerves that move from your neck into your arm. They supply the signals for your arm to work. When muscles in the neck and shoulder get especially tight they can impinge the brachial plexus causing it to stop making the arm work. It can be pretty scary, but it's similar to sleeping on your arm and it falling asleep. I would talk to a doctor, a massage therapist, and a chiropractor and specifically mention the climbing you did.

@faithlife1 Immediately see a physical therapist NOT a chiropractor. I had this happen to me: stretched nerves and also inflamed neck muscles wrecked havoc on one side, like instant atrophy to the pec, triceps, lats, etc.

The fix for me was a ton of banded chin tucks plus whatever magic the physical therapist did.

@faithlife1 I have a history of climbing way too much and then not enough and then launching myself back into.

Take rest. Seek a massage therapist that understands climbing injuries.

Don’t work that shit for minimum 4 weeks.

@jay1971 I second the massage therapist, maybe a good facial cranial massage therapist. It’s crazy what a good one can do. I started seeing one every other week, and within 1 to two sessions she fixed my TMJ. I’m a big believer now.