New to creatine

bubbles328

Hi all! 18/F here. I’m planning to start taking creatine. I’ve done my research pretty well. Are there any other things I should know? I’m planning to take 5g daily. Also, please recommend some good, reliable brands.

@bubbles328 If you're watching your weight, keep in mind, creatine will increase your weight in the short term. It accumulates some water. Nothing to be worried about though, its part of the process.

DRINK WATER. This is extremely important for it to work.

FuelOne, Wellcore, ON all have sources of creaitne, any of them should be good.

@bubbles328 I’m not sure of the reason why you are taking creatine but however, assuming you have a good reason and on top of what others have already said:

if you are ever gonna have a blood test while on creatine, don’t freak out seeing high CREATININE levels and consequently low eGFR (indicating kidney failure) in kidney function test. It’s NORMAL and doesn’t mean your kidney is being damaged. If possible ask for eGFR number calculated by cystatin C method

I take GNC brand creatine rn btw but personally I don’t see a lot of differences in creatine between brands. It’s cheap and easy to make. Just go with any reasonably known brand and you should be good

@invernest Also can you confirm for how long it is required. Is creating required only during transformation phase for 2-3 months or also required during maintenance phase. As well like if I am leaving Gym for 2-3 weeks if I go on vacation, do I need to continue taking it?

@bubbles328 Just two more things to keep in mind, watch your hair fall closely for the first few weeks. Even though there's very limited/no research to prove that it causes hair fall, but many people(on this subreddit too) have complained that it did cause their hairline to recede. This happens with men so I'm not sure how or if it'll affect women.

Monitor your weight and strength regularly to make sure that you are not among the 20-30 percent non responders to creatine.

@bubbles328 Creatine can cause modest increases in DHT which is linked to male pattern baldness. In women, DHT is much lower anyways, so even if it does increase, it won’t be enough to trigger hair fall.
Anecdotally, I am female and have been taking creatine for 7 weeks now, no hair loss.
It’s so worth it. The mental boost is amazing. Muscle recovery is faster. You feel better and lift better. I don’t see myself stopping it anytime soon.

@bbgg I don't think there is any pathway creatine can cause hair fall in women. Even in men, there is too much evidence creatine doesn't trigger/enhances male pattern baldness.

@bubbles328 Everyone loads creatine in a different way, well I started taking 5 grams daily in 250 ml water after pre workout meal and I still continue like this. It has worked wonders for me so I am happy. I take GNC's you can try that too.

Back