One gram of protein per pound? How?

drobbyb

Hey all, I keep reading that one should get about one gram of protein per pound. I'm only about 140 pounds right now so that would mean eating 140 grams of proteins per day! But how is this possible?

My tofu packs are 56g proteins here, so that would mean I'd need to eat like a whole protein pack, three times a day to reach that objective! Yet, I feel I'm going to explode with only half a pack! And that's my biggest and protein-richest meal of the day.

My shakes, with one scoop protein (as per the instructions) are only 20g, so that means I'd need to drink 7 damn shakes a day! When I do shakes, I do try to put two scoops though to hack this a little bit (although apparently absorption reduces significantly after 30g within a single meal?). But I don't drink them every day because I feel like my eating schedule is pretty full already... Like I'm having trouble fitting the shakes in because I'm still full from the previous meal come next meal (also isn't it boring to drink more than one shake a day?).

Indeed, I feel full all day from my current diet, and try to incorporate high-protein meat alternatives when possible. At the same time, overeating too much makes me extremely tired, which I can't afford because of work. I don't eat fruits or vegetables because they take precious protein space. I could eliminate carbs and then my only food group would be proteins haha, but is this recommended for mass gains? Also can't eat too much before bed because of GERD. (Also not doing cardio because I'm afraid to lose weight, but that's unrelated).

So how do you guys actually manage to get all that shit in while being vegan and without throwing up or falling asleep all day?

Here's a typical diet just in case it is helpful:

Breakfast:
  • 2 toasts with chocolate spread and a bunch of pumpkin seeds = 13 g
  • Coffee with soy milk = 1.75 g
  • Total = 14.75
Lunch:
  • Sandwich with fake meats and ketchup chips = 26 g
Snack:
  • Protein bar (or sometimes shake) = 16 g
Diner:
  • Fried rice with tofu (half a tofu pack and 1/4 cup of cooked rice) = 29.1 g

Grand Total = 10.75 + 26 + 16 + 29.1 = 85.85

Target = 140 g (body weight in pounds)

So I'm at about 60% of my objective right now. Tell me your hacks, tips, and tricks to go next level! :D

Edit: Goal is mass gain and I'm physically active (training every day/week).

Edit 2: wow this blew up. Thanks so much for all your tips and suggestions and suggested resources everyone!!!! :D I'll have lots of homework to implement from now on! Getting to work NOW! 💪

@drobbyb I’d first worry about getting rid of stuff like Chocolate Spread and ketchup chips.

140g split into 4 meals is only 35g protein per meal

Meal 1
- Switch to oats, 100g is something close to 15g Protein or high protein bread for even more
- 2 Cups of Soy Milk is another 15

Lunch
- You can find high protein vegan breads like sprouted Power. 2 slices is over 20g protein
- You can also switch to A bean based pasta, some have 20+g protein per 100g
- Add nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp is an extra few g of protein

Meal 3
- Stick to your shake of 20g (bars usually have high sugar)
- Do another 2 cups soy milk for another 15

Meal 4
- Turn this into a stir fry with some peas, and some more nutritional yeast

Easy fixes

@dawn16 How many cups is that? I've switched to tofu scrambles for my meal prep to save on calories, but when I was doing overnight oats I'd do a full cup, a cup of whatever milk was on hand (most worked great, but Silk Ultra was a little too thick), fruit of choice, mashed banana, and two tablespoons of peanut/almond/mixed nut butter.

@jesusiseverything2me This!
Im adding a tablespoon of peanutbutter to my oats. It adds about 10g extra protein to your breakfast and is cheap as fuck.

Lentil pasta is a geeat one too. 24g pr 100

Im getting my shake daily with no exception and am reaching between 150 and 180g with ease. Im about 170 pounds

Back