One gram of protein per pound? How?

@drobbyb You’re hyper focused on protein, it seems.

Check out simnett nutrition. Check out how he looks, and what he eats. If you wanna gain mass, and stay healthy, eat a whole food plant based diet, and eat enough calories so that you’re gaining a bit of weight every week (weigh yourself and use cronometer). This way, you’ll get enough of every important nutrient there is (not only protein), even ones so small no one knows them, and ones we humans haven’t even found yet.

@drobbyb
I don't eat fruits or vegetables

This is a huge mistake IMO. You need all the nutrition and fiber that fruits and vegetables provide to facilitate high-protein intake.

But beyond that, two things pop out at me based on your 'typical diet': simple carbs in excess, and lots of processed foods.

Every meal in your outline features bread or rice. If you substitute this with beans, legumes, seitan, etc. you'll see a huge uptake in your protein overall. Also, simple carbs are mostly glucose - your body basically breaks down the bread & rice into sugars, which would definitely be affecting your appetite.

Onto the second thing: you've got a lot of processed foods in your diet. fake meats are great from time to time, but eating them daily is definitely not a good thing - they're very high in saturated fats, and lacking fiber. Same goes for tofu - while its extremely nutritious, it is highly processed, and all the nutrition and fiber you'd normally see from the soybeans is removed.

My recommendation? GBOMBS!!. Greens, Beans, Onions (and other root vegetables), Mushrooms, Berries and Seeds. If you keep your daily nutrition within the GBOMBS guidelines, I guarantee you'll be able to hit your protein goals. But beyond that, the implied uptake of fiber and complex carbs will more than likely give you more energy while feeling less full.

Obviously, you can still supplement with protein shakes, or add some vegan meats to a meal - but you'll see a huge difference if you focus on getting the majority of your nutrition from whole-food sources.

EDIT: Interesting video posted just today suggesting a direct correlation between lean body mass and dietary fiber intake - something to think about!

@drobbyb I’m (F, 5ft7) supposed to get around 200g but can usually only get to 130-150. Smoothies are an absolute staple and I usually get around 60-75g there. I also really like making scrambles and get a chunk of protein from those.

I think it entirely depends on how much you are working out and how your body feels. If you’re forcing yourself to eat to the point where you have acid reflux, that’s obviously just as bad as undereating. Like everyone else said, your numbers in general do seem low but if you’re not doing high intensity workouts often (I.e weightlifting 3+ days a week) the 1g per lean mass thing is totally unnecessary.

@drobbyb You do not necessarily need 1g/lb. The American College of Sport Medicine and other dietetics organizations recommend 1.3-1.8 g/kg which is like 0.6-0.8 g/lb.

@katie4469 this. .7 is a sweetspot for me. 180lb x 0.7 = 126 grams. it’s not your total weight, but total lean muscle weight…which makes more sense to me. 180-200 grams of protein can’t be good for longevity

@iconoclaust not a nutitionist, but i know for a fact that bodybuilders are always taxing their kidneys, heart and organs with too much protein. there’s a point of diminishing returns, which is why i try to cycle it from RDA to bodybuilding ranges and back again.

“Adults in the 50 to 65 group who reported a high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and were 4 times more likely to die from cancer during the following 18 years than those in the low protein group.Mar 17, 2014”
https://www.nih.gov › news-events

@_h_ Link the study next time.

Low Protein Intake is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population

and

1) High protein intake linked to increased cancer, diabetes, and overall mortality.

[...]

3) Higher protein diet may be protective for older adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/

The study itself doesnt but to much trust into its finding (the difference between causation and correlation) so basing your claims on that on study is cherrypicking at its best.

Professional Bodybuilders top their protein shakes of with a good dose of steroids. I am not a doctor but my guess is that the later is a tiiiiiny bit more taxing on the kidneys than excess protein intake...

@iconoclaust My mom had a condition in which her muscles tightened up a lot from an excess of protein, causing them to squeeze a nerve in her leg. They wanted to operate and grind her bone away to make more space, but she decided on a vegan diet and it got resolved before the operation.

Anecdotal, but maybe someone else here knows this condition?

Edit: also maybe it’s not good for the kidneys?

@drobbyb Because 1g/lb is a load of nonsense. The original studies were 1g/kg and then people just got it wrong. WHO recommendations is something like 60g for an average male, less for a woman. It's already inflated anyway to cover all bases.

If you are lifting weights then you should be concentrating on eating more food in general, then the extra protein comes automatically.

As a natural lifter you would be doing well to gain 1lb of lean mass a month. 1lb of muscle contains 100g protein. So to gain that much you would need to eat 100g extra protein a month = 3.3g extra per day, which is like. 1 piece of bread or half a potato or something.

Protein supplements are a massive marketing racket and are not necessary at all.

Back