Petite people: what do you consume to get enough protein for muscle building?

@vman8r 5'2" 135 lbs vegan here. I maintain on about 2000 calories per day but I don't track everything currently since I don't feel the need to. Favorite vegan protein sources are beans, lentils, tofu, whole grain bread, tempeh, edamame, nut butter/tahini and soy milk. Also while they don't have as much protein per gram, other foods like broccoli, sweet potatoes, even rolled oats have protein in them. My favorite breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with banana, blueberries, chia seeds, hemp hearts, soy milk and peanut butter and it has over 20 grams of protein in it. I don't consume protein powder because I would rather eat my calories/nutrients than drink them, but to each their own. Let me know if you have any questions about plant based protein!

@thebadcatholic You sound like you're doing just fine for protein, but if you ever decide to try using protein powder, just to say you can put it right in your oatmeal! That's what I do (I need to pay more attention to protein generally; I started sticking the protein powder in as a quick way to add more in). :) I eat oatmeal way more regularly than I make smoothies.

@sunset100 I love peanut sauce (peanut butter + soy sauce + spices) to anchor really any mix of vegetables/beans/etc. Super easy, delicious, cheap, and high protein.

@vman8r
What do others do who are small-framed and aiming for body recomposition or muscle building?

I'm 5'2", around ~110 lbs +/- 5 lbs. I aim for 20-30 g protein per meal. Breakfast includes protein powder (usually stirred into oatmeal). Lunch and dinner pretty much always include animal protein. I rely on eggs + egg whites a lot, and lean meat like chicken breast, ground turkey, or fish. If you do dairy, Fage greek yogurt is amazing for lots of protein w/o a lot of calories.

@vman8r I love it! I find it works best if you stir the protein powder with milk (or almond milk) in your bowl so you have sort of a gooey paste, then add the cooked oatmeal. It prevents the powder from clumping.

@vman8r I eat a lot of tuna. That may be good as an animal product for your workout days and you can leave it out on rest days. One pack of the kind I eat has 24 grams of protein.

Back