Rant

foulendeparis

This is me being a baby. A big baby.

My whole life, no matter my weight or pant size, I was considered thick. Even at a size 0. For me, big was above 130 pounds. I’m almost 5’4’’ fyi.

About 15 years ago I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and losing weight has since been more difficult… but nothing compared to now.

I got sober about 14 months ago and instead of losing weight, I ballooned to 174. When I realized that this past September, I changed my habits drastically. I started at 1500 cals and did Ashtanga every morning. No change. I went down to 1200 cals and did Ashtanga every morning. No change.

Finally, my doctor put me on phentermine and from Nov to January I got down to 155 pounds. But for the last month it’s been exactly the same. I’m going harder on Ashtanga now, I go climbing 2x a week now, and I’m going to the gym a few times a week for HIIT classes and walking 3.5 miles on an incline on the treadmill. 6 weeks. No change. Even my measurements are EXACTLY the same as they have been for 6 weeks.

I’ve worked very hard to change my mindset to one that trudges through consistency and focuses on progress in the activities I like.

But damn. If something doesn’t happen soon, I’m gonna freak out man!!

Type 1 diabetes sucks.
Rant over.

Thank you!

@foulendeparis What I see in your post is someone who's made some really amazing changes in the past year or so, who has chosen her health and happiness, and who has already racked up some really dramatic wins. 14 months of sobriety. Reaching out to a doctor and getting on an effective medication. Losing 20 lbs. Building an exercise routine and sticking with it. And all this while dealing with a chronic illness that makes all of this harder than it would be for someone without that illness.

6 weeks feels like SO long when you're in it. It's so hard to have patience-- but you are demonstrating patience. You're not quitting despite your frustration. You're still dedicated to your new mindset which prioritizes consistency and progress, even though you're being tested. And that's huge. Looking at it from the outside, at least, I'd call it a "something happening." :)

@foulendeparis I know the feeling of being stuck at a weight, especially when exercising and it sucks so much. I maintained for weeks when I started running again. That water weight from sore muscles tends to stick around.

Since your measurements aren’t changing, do you notice a difference in how you feel? Do you feel more fit at least? Maybe for now to keep your sanity you can also track how your workouts feel effort wise compared to previously? Just something so you don’t feel like your progress is stagnating because there’s no change on the scale.

@thatguync That’s a really great idea. Does it ever make you feel insane though? I feel stronger and even hot sometimes and then I look at these numbers - the weight and the inches - and I get so embarrassed… not in a mean way, but there is just no way people aren’t like, wow! That chubby girl can really move! Lol :/

Thank you! I really just need some people who understand.

@foulendeparis Yes I definitely do feel insane sometimes! My measurements and weight haven’t moved but my fitness has improved but I get so anxious if I don’t see those numbers go down. Hopefully things will start moving soon for both of us haha. Congrats on the sobriety by the way! That’s a huge accomplishment.

@foulendeparis First off, you’re doing great and have made some amazing changes!

I’m curious on what kinds of foods you’re eating and how you’re tracking them? Are you weighing to the gram to ensure you’re not going over in calories and eating more at maintenance?

For what it’s worth, I worked with a nutritionist last year who was preaching how seed oils impact weight and I was like whatever dude. It’s all CICO and that’s crazy. I don’t know if it was psychosomatic but I did actively avoid canola/soybean/safflower for several weeks and was floored that my weight loss picked up again. That was the only change I made. Now in maintenance I’ve gotten a little more relaxed but still cognizant on products that contain those oils. Just something to think about or try. It could also be the avoidance of processed foods in general that often contain these oils that did the trick.

@foulendeparis First of all, going alcohol free is such a huge accomplishment. I hope you are celebrating that success because despite the weight gain, you just removed a major toxin that impedes so many aspects to your health. Bravo!

How old are you? Bodies change and what worked at 20 won’t work at 30 and definitely not at 40. Perimenopause kicks in around 35-38 and then it’s a decade or more of hormonal issues that require a completely different approach.

I did an elimination diet a year ago after I quit drinking too in an attempt to heal my gut. And let me tell you, holy cow, I lost 15 lbs over six months without doing 1 single exercise because I was healing my gut. Not saying it would work for you but it can. Especially since alcohol completely kills all the good bacteria in your gut, you have to repair it and eliminate the foods that could be causing irritation. Just a thought.

@foulendeparis Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends. A lot of exercise and a large calorie deficit. I would encourage you to do an experiment for yourself just for a week. Go extremely gentle on exercise - 30 min slow nature walks, yoga only once that week, if at all. Rest a lot and eat mindfully 1800 calories of whatever you want. Have rest be your focus. See if you don't drop. This works every time for me. The extremes always caused my body to stay heavy.

Back