Regression in pushups

@puppies_and_rainbows You can lay on your back and move your feet like your riding a bicycle, works out legs and core. I'd recommend going on sprints as fast as you can a few times a week then jog at a moderate pace for longer 3 times a week. Cardio sucks when you start, it gets easy after a few weeks much easier. You'll start to get runners high which I miss the most, makes you feel great for days mentally and physically getting that blood pumping. Do you do pull ups at all? Those are equally as important as push ups, closed grip, wipe grip, reverse grip, also do different types of push ups like diamond push ups to focus the triceps. Russian twists are really good core workouts for at home also and easy to do. Working out every muscle group is going to be your best bet, you might have muscle imbalances which will make body weight exercises more difficult. If you really want a good workout that's fun try kickboxing. If you have a gym near you try it out, it's amazing cardio, tons of fun, and a great endurance builder. Swimming is also good for cardio on rest days. Make sure you're taking 2-3 rest days a week try to walk or swim those days but not heavy lifting. Use a body protein calculator online to make sure you're eating enough protein, carbs are very important too. Meat and dairy will be your best sources of protein, complex carbs are the best but any will work. If you don't eat 30 minutes after working out or drink a protein shake that should be your priority, ice cream is good too or peanut butter. Your muscles need glucose after a hard workout and sugar gives you an insulin surge. Keeping salt intake up is something to watch especially if you're sweating a lot every day. I use celtic sea salt as it's better than regular salt, try putting a little extra salt on your food and if you notice you feel better then your electrolytes are off. BCAAs are also very good for recovery, you can get them online or at gnc. It's worth investing in a good protein mix and they usually cost about $50-$80 for a large tub but it's well worth it. If you really wanna ramp things up get some serovital, increase your body's natural production if growth hormones. You'll be able to run longer, faster, work out more, recover faster, and have all around better energy. It costs about $90 for a one month supply but if you get any supplement get that one, you'll notice a massive difference in energy levels.

@mandm Woah, thank you so much! I’ll try your workout suggestions and those supplement intakes💗

Regarding the pull ups, I’m still training for it ‘cause I can’t do a single one as of the moment without a resistant band huhu

I’m practicing on doing other types of pushups but so far, it’s hard for me to do the diamond pushup, I can only do the regular one.

@puppies_and_rainbows Diamond push up uses mostly triceps, you can Google triceps workouts at home and work on those. Compound exercises use more muscles and are the best like push ups and pull ups. For pull ups, get a pull up bar and hang until you can't for 3 sets, you can also put a stool under your foot and use one leg to help push you up until you can do them without it.

@mandm Thanks! I’ve only been doing Australian pull ups (7reps, set of 3), do you think that’s also a good prep for me to be able to do the reg pull ups? I stopped using my resistant band ‘cause I read somewhere it’s not really that effective if you’re trying to do the reg pull ups

@puppies_and_rainbows I wouldn't bother with those, get a stool and do over hand grip pulls up and under hand grip pull-ups. Then down the road you should be able to wide grip pull ups when you work your way to them.

@puppies_and_rainbows Use one foot to push yourself up with the stool but put as much weight on your arms and upper body pulling up as you can. After a week you shouldn't need the stool and should be able to do regular pull ups.

@puppies_and_rainbows Meant to add shadow boxing if you don't want to box at a gym, there are tons of youtube videos but focus on form first for jab, cross, hook, and combos. I had a blast when I could kickbox, I've had too many back surgeries now for all that otherwise I'd still be doing all the things I mentioned.

@puppies_and_rainbows No equipment needed to start, you need to learn the basics of striking and footwork. Runs drills and shadow box, gloves are great because it adds extra weight when you shadow box. I'd use 14 or 16oz gloves that way when you take them off your punches will be faster. You can get a heavy bag for about $70-$80 which is great, a reflex bag is great also. You don't need any equipment for the fight tips course, if you hit a heavy bag always use wrist wraps under your gloves and wrap them properly, not needed for shadow boxing though. You will get boxers wrist where you bones spread apart in your hands and damage your knuckles/wrists if you don't use wrist wraps when striking something other than air.

@puppies_and_rainbows The general public has a tough time distinguishing what actual effective training is. You'll see a lot of folks make youtube videos called "I did 100 push ups everyday for a month and THIS is what happened!" Implying there will be some radical physique improvement.

But as others have suggested, doing the same movement everyday is not always the best way to improve because you're not giving your body time to recover. You need rest days to let your muscles repair themselves.

There are some folks to engage in every day training. Key to this is that they do not push close to failure. The goal is to really hone their technique and strengthen the neural connection. They don't induce has much fatigue as you would pushing to failure or close to it, but get lots of practice.

For general muscle/strenghth building, hard sets to failure with rest days is the most effective route.

@puppies_and_rainbows You should make sure you're eating enough protein, the recommendation is 1g per lb of body weight. If that doesn't improve feel free to go even higher. Oh and you're reps will go up if you increase the rest between sets (and obviously do more sets) including resting different days and increasing rest between individual sets i.e. 1 minute or 2 minutes or even 3.

Edit: 1g per lb not per kg.

@danih Isn’t it more like 0.7-1g per lb of body weight? If I was resistance or strength training I feel like 1g per kg would be undershooting it.

Back