Shiny Things

drschools

Hi all, longtime - first time.....

I LOVE SHINY THINGS.....(sorry Brett and Geoff)

I can't remember the last time I completed more than 3 or 4 weeks of a single plan without moving onto something else.

Most of the time each week is actually made up by mixing different programs together......(S&S, IC, Axe, Q&D, etc).

I'm trying to figure out if I have commitment issues OR if I have actually found a way of training that I enjoy and keeps me more consistent.

I realise that program hopping will never yield the best results......but I have trained every second day for January 2024 which is more consistent than ever before.

Am I smart or foolish?

Background - M45, dad of 4 young kids and full time LEO. Workout at home and have single bells 4-40kg and a pull up bar.

Achieved the simple standard a while back, but since then every goal I think about (sinister, beast tamer, TSC, or SFG1) just never sticks long enough.

Thanks for reading this far.......anyone else out there on the same wavelength? I often have moments where I wish i could stick to one plan to maximise results.

@drschools "I'm trying to figure out if I have commitment issues OR if I have actually found a way of training that I enjoy and keeps me more consistent. ....

"I realise that program hopping will never yield the best results......but I have trained every second day for January 2024 which is more consistent than ever before."

Is there really an exclusive OR between those statements? But it could also just be the fact that you are trying to follow programming that's very minimalistic in number of exercises and you're a person that simply enjoy more variety?

@drschools "I'm trying to figure out if I have commitment issues OR if I have actually found a way of training that I enjoy and keeps me more consistent."

Probably both but consistently clocking in and putting in the work is the most important aspect. I enjoy some variety as long as I'm covering my major movements and I can still track progressive overload in some way.

@drschools This is perfectly fine - just revisit workouts from the programs every now and then and slightly progress them. Instead of starting S&S from scratch when revisiting it, try out a heavier Bell, try a longer block of Q&D. if you're constantly running different workouts & programs just ensure some byline of progress. You don't need to do a program to progress

@drschools I have some of the same issue. What has worked for me is using variety days to introduce whatever shiny thing I want. So pick a standard and stick to it, make it something doable and then add in some variety days where you can chase shiny things.