Things I Know Now After Doing the Recommended Routine for 1 Year That I Wish I Knew From the Beginning

@sydneyelise For anyone reading this thinking "huh the RR doesn't give much progress for a year", this guy's progress was remarkably slow and it's clear why in his video. He doesn't use full ROM, he doesn't have great form, and he tries to progress to levels higher than he is ready for and subsequently gets hurt.

In a year you should be far past this guy. I'd take his advice with a grain of salt, and be honest with yourself. "You're not strong enough yet" is something some people refuse to hear

@dawn16 Yes I agree my progress was slow which I acknowledged in the transformation post I made a couple months ago.

So I can learn, fix, and improve, can you point out to me:

- which exercises specifically, am I not doing with full ROM?

- which exercises specifically, do I have not good form? (excluding the ones I already mentioned in the video like pull ups)

- The RR recommends progressing to the next level once I reach 3x8 of the progression. I progressed when I reached anywhere between 3x8 ~ 3x12. What other cue, should I use to see if I'm ready?

@sydneyelise Alright, just sneaking in but I would also like to answer these questions.

- Basically I would just state that you pull ups are not full ROM (not enough control of the negative phase IMHO and not totally extended arms when down from the pullup position, especially at 1:38 of the video), the rest seems fine to me in terms of ROM.

- Honestly I don't really like the form of your PPPU (I don't see any hollow position holding there, here for reference of what I mean as a good form).

- Always keep in mind that the RR is an approximation of what a training should look like, but you always have to change it accordingly to your strenght and weak points. I would recommend you to do isokinetics excercises (1" holds when your forehead gets to the bar, for instance when doing a pull up, or making the pulling phase of the pull up last for 2/3/4/5"). Always have more strength than you think you deserve before stepping up to new excercises, otherwise there are good odds you would get injured.

This is not to put you down, you did great job and I can see that having to deal with this whole all alone can be hard. I really recommend you to take on an online trainer, not because you suck but just because, with this help, you could become even better and spend your training time in the most efficient manner. Furthermore if you really want to approach static strength excercises, as you state in the video, you have to get a coach (especially when dealing with planche).

Cheers.

@forcedmeme Thanks for your response!
- 1:38 pull up. Won't it become chest to bar pull ups if I increase ROM more than this? And yes I can see my control is pretty bad in the negative phase. Will try to improve on that.
- For PPPU, if you look at page 462 of Overcoming Gravity edition 2, the pictures seem to have straight body rather than hollow body. Even in the description, it says to do with straight or 'slightly' hollow body. Not sure if I should follow OG or the link you provided..
- "(1" holds when your forehead gets to the bar, for instance when doing a pull up, or making the pulling phase of the pull up last for 2/3/4/5"). " I'm not quite following what you are saying here. Can you please elaborate more?
- " Always have more strength than you think you deserve before stepping up to new excercises, otherwise there are good odds you would get injured. " This is a great advice. Thanks!

Thank you again for taking the time to answer some of the questions and for these good words!

@sydneyelise
  • i am stating that your standard pullup ROM is not respected since the arms are not fully straightened.
  • for PPPU I don't think that straight body ones are going to work since the PPPU is an excercise that should prepare you for the tuck planche and in all of the planche excercises (from the PPPU to the full) it is required the hollow body position, additionally doing the PPPU in the way i suggest you is going to be more challenging and is going to build more strength and adaptation to the position. Obviously that's how I train and everyone will follow dofferent routes, I am just saying : try it out.
  • I recommend you to google "isokinetic excercises" on google sonce there are people which are way more qualified than me to explain it.