3 things I learnt | From 0 to 8 strict muscle ups in 12 months (continued)

@east81 Sorry for sounding like a dick, but I totally disagree with your first muscle up being a kipping one. Avoid kipping... it's the cocaine of muscles ups. It's bad form, and way harder to correct down the line.

Take the time to learn strict muscles ups from the get go. If this means learning from a bar that's too low for you to get that swing action, then all the better. It may take longer, but you'll end up stronger and doing it properly.

@cgdtaylor If you have enough power you can pull high with no swing. Look up for Ivan Markioli's MU so you can have an idea.

Swing itself isn't bad tough, if not overused (you can swing a bit, but not too much). As /@johnleemushroom said, kipping is the real MU killer when it comes to learning the movement.

@blessedbree7 Yeah, there's a difference between a swing and kipping. I guess because I learnt from a low bar as my gym was a bit shit, then I never learnt with even a swing, so I can go from dead to a muscle up. But yeah, a small swing is fine, just don't overdo it.

@east81 By all means I am no expert - that's why I'm asking this after all - but without training with higher reps, won't the muscles disappear or something? As long as there is some stimulus they will stay as they are, but I will build strenght, right?

@prodie53 Volume that is in the hypertrophy range build or maintain your muscles. So id suggest you do low reps high pull ups at the start of your training , then go on to train the regular pull ups for the sake of maintaining the volume and intensity necessary for muscle gain.

@east81 i know its unrelated, maybe we could talk over pm about this. i saw ur insta post regarding ur mom and i wanna help mine lose weight as well. the problem is she doesnt seem to eat much and her current bodyweight is really light at 57kg. im afraid of holding back more calories. what did the dietician tell your mother? was it just a caloric deficit or did he also adjust macros/food choices? thanks a lot!

also need to mention that due to her bad knees she cant run, though we do have access to an elliptical machine. but im aiming to help her lose weight mainly via dieting on a deficit than thru exercise