So systemic MRV isn’t real, same with local MRV?

cybernetic

So I just watched a video from Meno Hanseman where he explains how CNS fatigue/systemic fatigue doesn’t really exist in weight training, it’s more for endurance athletes.

So now I’m thinking is it the same for local muscle MRV? Is there a maximum amount of volume you can do for a muscle before your performance declines barring injury. Or is it just how much you can do before injury. Local MRV being when you get injuries in the muscles. Could someone hypothetically do 50 sets of biceps in a week granted there’s no soreness, injury or performance drop?

@confusedgirl98 Yeah. If CNS fatigue doesn't really exist for lifting weights, then that just means that some other phenomenon is causing your body to not be able to recover from going over a certain amount of total work. Same outcome with a different word.

@leena2016 I think it's so dumb people will say you are under-recovering and not over-training, to me all the terms are just the same way to describe 'training beyond your capacity to recover'. Whether it's one or the other is just arguing semantics.

@leena2016 What does actual hard training and then recovering have to do with "sense of masculinity"? Many people who make fun of people who don't train hard or go anywhere near failure recognize that many of the gym girls train harder than the gym guys

@leena2016 i mean, i get it, if youre into sports, athletics or fitness that doesnt just involve bodybuilding/hypertrophy training, overtraining does have a specific meaning, so you wouldnt want to mix them up. but if youre just into bodybuilding, the actual meaning of overtraining has little importance, so you can just use it as that.

@leena2016 How commonly does this happen to you?

I feel like my deloads are only needed for local recovery (often in multiple areas at the same time but to some extent I aim for that with my programming).

@confusedgirl98 So I actually just watched a video with Milo wolf and Mike Israteal discussing some of the new research regarding local mrv. Milo did mention he's putting together a study on systemic mrv as well.

@cybernetic Well as usual no one cares.

People use the term central fatigue or CNS fried for a certain feeling that appears when you do too much work. What it is exactly doesn't matter, it exists and is feelable.

In addition to that many people already saw the effects of how too much overall work led to worse gains, so that systemic MRV exists too.

@livingme7 This feels like the fitness version of people saying the hot hand doesn’t exist in basketball. The research said it didn’t exist (although recently that has been challenged) and everyone who has ever played basically said “That’s cool, but I’ve had it and it definitely does.”

Back