Sporty people: Where do you get all of your protein?

@reneaz First, dont listen to any advice here! If one thing I learned is that people knows almost nothing about everything.

For nutrition advice consult a nutrition expert. Nobody knows how much protein you need. Everyone you ask will tell you something different.

For me the best way to get protein is from plants (soy, beans, lentils, nuts etc.) There are protein in every food. For every protein you get 4 calories. So yes you can get fat from proteins.

If I were to listen to some advice under here i would get fat and sick. Some actually recommend you eat around 300 gram of protein per Day! That is like 8 big meals! And they also recommend taking protein powder which is Just a waste of money. You will Just gain fat.

I have tested this myself: I get around 70 to 90 gram of protein every day. But vitamins and nutrients and how much calories you get are far more important. The 70 to 90 gram protein pr. Day i got from a nutrition expert through reading the China study. I can bench 140 kg for 12 reps. Do 20 pull ups, 200 kg squat and 300 kg deadlift. I dont want to be bigger either. I look strong and athletic. Push ups feels like moving air for me. I could probably do 100 or more. I only take 20 gram of creatine pr. Day for 7 days if I feel I stagnate.

So that blows the protein myth out the door. Its made up by the protein multi billion dollar industry tricking you need all their crap.

So... dont worry about protein!

@reneaz
  1. What's your weight and level of activity? Or your goals? The WHO says people need 0.8g/kg protein, personally I think if you're working out and want to increase muscle mass you can easily go up to 1.0-1.2g/kg and if you want to be extra safe and maximise gains then 1.5-1.6g/kg. Anything above is imho unnecessary as - from the scientific literature - I'm not sure it will yield better results. Male body builders sometimes crank it up to 2g/kg, but at this point you risk also fat gains (especially women, because muscle hypertrophy doesn't come as easily to them - but that might not apply to you)
  2. How much protein do you currently get? Because obviously there's also protein in all kinds of plant food, just less than in soy and other legumes. But it would be interesting to know how much you still need to add.
  3. Personally I sometimes have trouble eating enough in general, so I like having a good vegan protein powder at home. If you want to avoid soy, there are also fairly good rice, almond, sunflower or hemp protein powders out there. Also pea protein, but the ones I tried tasted ghastly lol. But depending on how you like to take them, they're easy to hide in smoothies or breakfast porridge or whatever else.
  4. Have you tried different forms of tempeh? Not sure what's available for you, but sometimes you can get pre-seasoned tempeh (which I recommend a lot, I suck at marinating things). I also recently found pinto bean and chickpeah tempeh and especially the latter is very tasty to me.
  5. For legumes in general I can only recommend to start VERY slow and test your individual tolerance. I tried to go vegan about a decade ago and didn't last longer than a few months, because the stomach pains were killing me. Then a few years ago I started again, but very slowly and things were much better. If you find your individual tolerance you can very very slowly start to push it, but it's work. In the meantime I'd focus on protein powder, tofu and potentially other soy products that are easily digestible (e.g. soy yogurt, soy milk etc.)

@wendymiller In a study in more than 6,000 adults, those who reported eating sunflower seeds and other seeds at least five times a week had 32% lower levels of C-reactive protein compared to people who ate no seeds.

Back