Weekly Question Thread - Week of 3/9/2020

paparazi257

In the hopes of reducing the amount of low quality, simple, and beginner posts on the sub we are going to try a weekly question thread. It would help if users keep it sorted by new and check in every few days to help people out.
It is highly encouraged to use sort by new.

@paparazi257 Hey guys.
I have been lifting for a year. However I started taking interested in other (cardio-focused) activies and started having trouble to accomodate a hypertrophy routine due to less frequency.
For the next 6 months or so I'll only be able to workout 2~3 times plus 2~3 separate days of baseball, to a total of 5~6 days a week exercising.
I'm having trouble figuring out how to design the best workout plan with the following especifications/observations

1- I want do to a A/B split workout, full body is out of question.

2- My legs/glutes are naturally big and I already run, jump and lunge a lot in baseball, thus I don't mind reducing legs workout a bit. Also I don't give a fuck about squat/deadlift egolifting

3- My arms are lacking a bit because I fell for the "you only need compounds, dude"(r/Fitness) bullshit

4- I want 45-1 hour workouts, don't mind having short rests

Thus: I am thinking about moving arms to lower day, possibly lowering legs volume a little to accommodate. With this decision I think I solve problem 3 by taking benefit of 2

This workout outline is as follows:

Upper:
  • Incline dumbell press 3x10 (not the flat one because I am already working the deltoids with OHP)
  • Dumbell fly 4x10
  • Lat pull-down 4x10
  • Bent-over row 3x10
  • dumbell OHP 3x8
  • Calves 4x15
  • Some ab exercise 3~4x15
Lower+Arms:
  • Squat 3x10
  • Stiff leg deadlift 3x10
  • Leg extension 4x10
  • 1 triceps exercise (to be decided) 3x12
  • 1 biceps exercise 3 x 12
  • Lateral raise 4x10
  • Abs and or grip training ?
What you guys think about? Some suggestions?

@paparazi257 Hey guys

I’ve switched recently from a 5x5 based routine to a more hyper trophy based routing, it still has a 5x3 compound followed by 8x3 exercises for hypertrophy.

Issue I have is coming from a SS based 5x5 routine, I’m mentally conditioned to always strive for completing the heaviest weight possible with good form. I’m finding occasionally this means I drop reps when on the limit and so don’t think I get enough volume. (4 day upper/lower routine now)

Have any of you made this transition and how did you get over the powerlifting mentality of trying to move big numbers? I just feel if I’m not operating on the edge I’m not going to make progress!

@niecey85 Cheers I’m on Fierce 5 upper lower at the moment which is meant to be hypertrophy but I just don’t feel I’ve gained much on it. I was looking into PHUL as an alternative

@paparazi257 Anyone try Jeff Nippards 5 day full body routine and can voche for it? I'm ready to give full body splits a chance as I've never tried one before, but would like to be in the gym more than the traditional 3 day full body split.

@paparazi257 Stopped going to gym for 6 months... What should I do (22.5 bf %)
I gained some body fat and lost muscle... I want to gain my muscle back and lose body fat... What should I do to achieve this in the best way possible... Caloric deficit, slight surplus, Maintenance?

@inthemaze For not going to the gym for 6 months, you need a beginner routine, even if you look like Arnold. For 22% bf you need to cut. Being untrained and having trained before puts you in the best position to do both at the same time (build muscle, lose fat).

Chose one of these programs:
Then after 2-4 months move on to one of these:
Eat at a deficit, but aim for a very small rate of weight loss (0.25-0.5% of body weight per week) because you're going to be building muscle and that means an increase in body weight, which offsets the lost of body fat and makes it look like you're losing less than you really are.

@paparazi257 I don't lose weight

Hi, recently I started training again.

Altezza181cm (5.9)

weight 118kg (260lb)

Bodyfat 22 \ 23%

My TDEE is 3300 \ 3500.

I have difficulty losing weight now I am eating 2000kcal I train lightly and I run 20 minutes. In 4 weeks I have lost 4kg but for two weeks I have not lost weight. What do I keep at 2000kcal or do I go up?

@sirpyriel Keep it. And weigh yourself multiple times per week in the same conditions and calculate weekly averages, then compare those averages to measure progress. What you don't want to do is weigh yourself like once per week and compare those numbers, because of daily weight fluctuations it's not going to be accurate.

@paparazi257 Has anyone tried barehand gloves? Rawwgear.com

I have really small hands and constantly get squished palms as I struggle to grip the full girth... Anything over 120kg has to be mixed grip. Wondering if these might let me work a more comfortable groove while still developing grip strength?

Edit: I should add, nothing wrong with mixed grip except I can't maintain symmetry because a bicycle accident has left me with a swollen nerve in my left elbow which prevents me from locking out. So I can only do mixed with my right palm facing forward, not vice versa.

@niecey85 Strength and size are reasonably correlated. Promoting grip strength during deadlifts, rows, pull-ups and curls allows me to gain forearm mass without dedicating as much isolation time to it.

But thanks for the shit reply.

@paparazi257 I feel like my front delts are lagging behind. Im doing Upper/Lower/Rest and reapeat.

I also dont want to neglect my chest too much on my upper days. What do you suggest? Just doing mainly incline bench?

@paparazi257 I'm stuck between cutting with IF/ cutting carbs, then losing several pounds, 60% of which is muscle mass and then stopping and then go right back into a bulk to put that mass back on. I can't seem to drop below 15.5% bodyfat. I vary between 16 and 15% which for me is 1 to 2 lbs of fat. Protien is high, maybe 150g per day. I'm 195 to 200lbs. Thoughts?

Back