What’s the best way to lose a lot of weight

@dojoloach High protein, low carb, lifting weights, not cardio. Also, sleep is important, as is less stress. Eliminating sugar and processed foods is much more important than watching calories. You could go down to 1000 calories per day, but if it's just garbage food, you still might not lose weight. High protein and weight training will help you build lean muscle mass, which I turn iOS your metabolism and helps you lose weight faster.

@zindebaad Cardio is stamina. Resistance is strength. If you skip cardio you are not building stamina which is more important than strength. Do both. All the muscle in the world is meaningless if you run out of breath in a few seconds. Don’t listen to gym bro science.

@abrahamabe It's not "gym bro" science. It's real weight loss science. If you want to do cardio because you like it, go for it, but there's real science behind weight training for weight loss. Not only have I done all the research, I've done the work to get there, to prove it. Anyone with any real life knowledge knows this is true.

The reason this works is because cardio only burns calories while you're working out. Resistance training continues to burn while the body goes through the process of muscle reparation over the next couple days after you work out. It's not just "strength". It's lean muscle. So what happens is, you're actually increasing your metabolism. The reason hard core body builders need to eat so much is because of all the muscle they have. When you build lean muscle, you burn fat more efficiently. Cardio doesn't do this. I'm not saying cardio doesn't have its place. Certainly ride a bike or something if you like, but for fat loss, the first go-to should be resistance training, especially if you're significantly overweight. Hold out on the cardio until you've lost some weight as it will be easier on the body. Cardio is hard on the body. Also, once you start cardio, you need to work up to it slowly, just like with resistance training. Too many people think they should go out and start running a couple miles right away. That's not good for them at all.
Resistance training is for everyone. It makes lean muscle, turns the body into a proper food burning machine, and makes you healthier all around. It also makes for stronger bones. You might look into the reality of strength over cardio. It saved my life.

@zindebaad This is really not how it works. If you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight no matter what you eat. Eating nothing but McDonalds for 1000 calories per day when you use up 1500 calories per day will make you drop weight. It'll make you feel horrible real soon, but you will lose weight.

@anonymous18 Yeah...not true. Take it from someone who went through this. I went down to 800 cal per day, under medical guidance. Wasn't losing at all. What you eat is just as important as how much. Whether or not you've dieted before, your metabolism, your type of lifestyle and whether or not you workout and how. It all affects it. I have studied this in depth, and I live it. This is the biggest fallacy ever shoved into the faces of people ever. I'm assuming you've never had a weight problem, so you don't actually know. Most people who never have, just assume these lies are the truth. They're not.

@zindebaad There are plenty of things affecting your metabolism, that is true. But if you eat less calories than you burn, where does your body come up with the energy to keep your weight stable? If you stop eating completely will you still keep at the exact same weight?

I know my comment was oversimplifying the issue, but in most cases it’s about overestimating your expenditure or not calculating intake properly

@anonymous18 We're going to have to agree to disagree here. I know way too many people with whom this is 100% not true. The science just doesn't back up your statements. These are old school beliefs which are still put forth by the medical establishment, etc, but they don't have any background in nutrition whatsoever. Goodness, they still push bread on people.

Anyway, have a nice day.

@zindebaad That's just another way of saying I might be in the wrong here, time to get out.

Lowest recorded healthy BRMs are around 1000-1200 range. Some rare cases exist (thyroid issues, malnutrition) that can push you below that, but they are outliers. I don't know your medical history, you might very well have an ailment like these.

Did you actually go down to 800 kcal per day, or to a 800 kcal deficit? Was any indirect calorimetry work included?

Basic laws of physics support my claim you can't just create energy

@dojoloach Forget counting calories.
If that really worked, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc would have gone bankrupt years ago.

Cut the carbs.
When you eat carbs, your body burns that for energy and not the stored fat.
Severe!y or completely eliminate carbs, your metabolism will change and your stored body fat will be used.
Intermittent fasting.

It is not a diet but a lifestyle change. It works.

@sakirasame Your body starts using fat when there's not enough energy from other sources, meaning you're at a calorie deficit. You can eat nothing but chicken and still gain weight and fat if you go over your daily calorie expenditure. Please stop saying this kind of nonsense, someone might actually listen to you

@sakirasame This is nutritionally bad advice. Your body needs clean carbs. Rice, pasta, potatoes. Nothing processed. Yes, reduce them a bit and increase protein but do not eliminate carbs all together.
Telling people to forget about calories is pretty ridiculous because flying blind unaware of what you eat and guessing is just not the smart or healthy way to do it.
You are right, it is a lifestyle change but it involves educating yourself.

@abrahamabe No. You body does NOT need carbs.
Your kidneys makes the carbs your body needs.
Why is it kidney failure is common for diabetics?

There is no such thing as essential carbs.
Carbs from grains and starches are among the worst.

Carbs break down to glucose.
Glucose is sugar.
All you are doing is giving yourself a sugar rush.

For thousands of years humans ate and thrived with minimal carbs.

Then came Marketing and Advertising.

30g Total Carbs or less per day.
Intermittent fasting.
You will lose weight & heal your body.

I have lost 65lbs
No more high blood pressure.
T2 diabetes is in remission. NO MORE INSULIN!!
I am just one of thousands that have healed themselves by nothing more than changing what they eat.
Doctors are slowly coming around and seeing the health benefits of this. At least those doctors that want to heal people and not just sell drugs.
I have since switched to carnivore. Same results and my blood work is perfect.

@sakirasame Actually humans evolved eating mostly tubers nuts and berries. Occasionally meat. Tubers are and always have been carbs.
Yes, grains are an issue if eaten in abundance. But carbs are needed for full nutrition. I know these Atkins Keto fads have taken over many people but actual smart nutrition shows that carbs are a part of a good diet.
Yes, carbs are basically sugar… good sugar. We run on sugar. Glucose is your fuel no matter what you eat.
Balance your diet with full nutrition and forget the bro science.

@abrahamabe Nuts & berries? So what did they eat for the rest of the 48 weeks?

They definitely couldn't go to Whole Foods for shopping. Import from other countries for off season foods is also out of the question. They didn't know how to can or preserve foods other than fish & meat.

nuts & berries were eaten on occasion for a couple weeks out of the year. If that was a huge part of their diet, we wouldn't exist because they all would have died from starvation. That is science. That is fact.

Good grief, glucose as fuel? Based on what? The human body is designed to burn FAT as fuel, not carbs or glucose.

Nothing bro science about it.
Based on human anatomy like stomach pH, and lengths of large & small intestines to name a few.
Historical and Scientific Facts.
Facts supported by Medical Journals.

@sakirasame Your body converts everything to glucose as fuel or it flushes or stores it as fat. Glucose is what drives your muscles. It is what you burn with cardio. After 10 minutes of intense cardio you start converting fat to glucose. This is why running helps with dieting. The fact is you are a sugar machine. If you cram yourself with processed sugars constantly you upset your metabolism which causes onset diabetes.
Natural whole carbs are exactly what your body needs in addition to clean protein and the proper fats. This is just facts.
I know carnivore diets are so trendy and butch now but they are wrong. You are most likely taxing your system with too much protein and animal fat.
But, you do you. I listen to medical experts since my heart attack.

@abrahamabe I used to think that.

Then my triglycerides shot up. I developed hypertension, CHF (enlarged heart), T2 diabetes, and gained 100lbs regardless of active lifestyle & exercise regiment.

When I realized carbs = bad, and fat = fuel ALL of my issues have been fixed. YES, I am no longer Diabetic (as long as I continue what I'm doing) Well, except weight but I'm still trying to work through the brainwashing that you need 3 meals/day.

Trust the science.

Trust the biology, not the last 100 years of Marketing (what you call science & medical experts)

Funny how following your medical expert advise lead to a boom of health issues.

Obesity, Diabetes, hypertension, IBS, inflammation, non-alcoholic fatty liver, etc.

All of which were a rarity before people listened to your medical experts.

@sakirasame I suggest you do some real medical research and talk to a real nutritionist. That’s all I can say really. I can’t make you understand or believe in medical science social media proves that.
You keep saying that what you claim is the scientific medical consensus and it just is not.
Since I’m not going to repeat myself I wish you a good day and happy life.