What's an actual realistic goal? Pictures and current routine included

@patrick226 Ok for hunger cues: You've probably heard this in a thousand different variations, but I'll reiterate here just in case, but proteins and healthy fats are your friends when it comes to keeping you full/satisfied. And then slow acting carbs. So it's important to make sure that you incorporate a protein source and or healthy fat source in your meals to keep you from getting hungry which will trigger cravings. So if you have an apple for a snack try adding cottage cheese or greek yogurt to dip them in, etc.

For cravings: This one is more difficult(at least for me). I find that cravings are largely drivin by emotion instead of hunger. So generally I don't deny myself my cravings, but I only allow myself to eat my cravings if I'm actually hungry. A good way to figure that out is, am I hungry enough to eat a plate of broccolli? If the answer is yes, then I'm hungry and can have the craving. If the answer is no, then I'm not really hungry and I'm just emotionally eating at that point. If I have a stressful day or if I'm bored the cravings come on hard. And this is the hard part, you have to ride out the cravings or do something that will distract you from them. You will find that the cravings last at most 15minutes, unless you hyperfocus on your stress or boredom. Sometimes I'll go online to window shop or scroll through reddit to distract form the stress/boredom. Not that those are particularly healthy coping mechanisms, but you get the idea. Mediation or going for a walk are like the golden healthy alternatives, but it sometimes takes time to work up to the healthy alternatives.

When you do have your cravings, try adding something to them to make you full so the craving goes away quicker(because you get full). Like if I have cookies, I dip them in greek yogurt. If I have chips I make sure to have them with veggies too (like a vegetable tray). That way you get your nutrition in and you aren't denying yourself cravings which can lead to binging.

Also don't indulge in cravings while doing a mindless task like watching tv or social media. You will not notice how much you eat and you won't satisfy the craving because you aren't paying attention to it.

Lastly, to the heart of your post/question, it's hard to say if your goal of seeing abs is realistic, because everyone shows abs at different body fat percentages. You might be one of the unlucky ones that will only see them at an unhealthy/unrealistic body fat percentage. That being said I believe you can realistically get pretty dang close if you manage your nutrition. And possibly adjust your fitness routine, but from the sounds of it, the nutrition is where you can make the most impact.

I'd say maybe try on your workout days eat at maintenance to keep fueling your workouts. And on your rest days try eating at your goal deficit. Progress might be slower but I think it will help you keep your sanity that way.

@patrick226 Hello fellow short waist-er, I also store fat pretty much entirely in my mid section. When I'm at my leanest I have faint side ab lines, but nothing remotely close to resembling a six pack. I also don't have a center ab line, which is determined by genetics. I think the center line plays a non-trivial role in how defined one's abs appear.

I don't know if this is the case for you (I got an error trying to load the linked photos), but in addition to a short waist, I have a very wide ribcage and very narrow hips. Because of this, the way my muscle/fat/skin sits over my skeleton is such that I think it would be extremely difficult for me to see a lot of ab definition. As in, my ribs would be visible long before my abs would, if that makes sense.

Not to say it's unrealistic for you, but I have accepted that it's unrealistic for me and am trying to focus on other aesthetic goals (like building my lower body and arms) as well as performance goals.

If anyone with a similar build/fat distribution pattern wants to chime in with a contrary experience, please do!

@deadpool Thanks for letting me know about the error. I uploaded a new link through a different image hosting site so it should work now.

Thanks for your experience and thoughts on this. I'm not sure if I have a wide ribe cage but I do have one pokey rib that flairs out so it definitely shows up first to the party.

@patrick226 I know you said you don’t have a lot of time to workout due to school and idk what the program consists of. Are you able to incorporate full body workouts that require lifting and weights at least 3x a week?
What about doing 2 HIIT workouts a week?

Nutrition is also what I struggle with and hitting my protein goals. If you are able to simply get in 100grams of protein a day that’s a great start. I started seeing a difference in my physique when I consistently hit my protein intake of 115g.

For reference I am 33, 137lbs, and carry in my midsection too. I don’t think abs are not impossible for us it’s just being consistent with eating right.

Side note - I watched my husband go from 225 to 190 in months and now has abs (which frustrates me) but the number one thing he does outside of working out 5x a week is eat extremely healthy.

@dawn16 The program I run is 4xs a week and usually takes me about 45 min to an hour. It's split between two lower body days and two upper body days. From what someone else suggested I might need a trainer though because my lifts aren't that great for how long I have been at it.

@patrick226 Imo the best place for you to start is to get an idea of what your bodyfat percentage is right now. If you’re someone with a low bf% then you know abs are probably not going to happen without lots of suffering. If you’re higher bf percentage then you know that it’s still a possibility.

Maybe you need a different training program though. Something more bodybuilding/physique focused would be more tailored to your goals