[FLUFF] ‘Wonder Woman’ recruited actual athletes, fighters as powerful Amazonians

@dawn16 I noticed that too & rolled my eyes-- but I still loved the movie as a whole. One pair of shoes isn't enough to to make the whole movie suck.

@lt_ash I honestly love the beginning, the shots of the Amazons training and the cool jumps and flips they were doing was SO FUN. But the ending was.... meh. Kinda spoiler

@dawn16 Yeah that was really off putting. It's like ok, I guess we're aiming for literally the lowest common denominator that can't read subtitles....

@axlelol I loved the movie! I know Gal Gadot trained and I dont mean to sound rude, but I kind of wish she looked a little more muscular as WW. She supposedly gained 17 lbs "of muscle" for the part in 6 months which is kind of statistically impossible for women. She's definitely bulkier than the pictures I saw of her before, but her muscles were not visible at all.

Minor complaint for sure. I just wonder why she didnt cut at some point to show off some of the muscles. Her arms and quads were not defined at all.

Edit for everone saying she was pregnant therefore couldn't gain muscle with weight lifting, that's not true. She did reshoots 5 months pregnant which was way after filming so she definitely could've been gaining muscle the year before filming started. Production ended may 2016 and the reshoots were Nov 2016.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2017_film)

@lake356 She clearly did not put on 17lb of muscle alone, which is totally fine, but movie press is never going to say an actress put on a bit of fat for a role unless it's more of a "Bridget Jones" type transformation. Anyway, if she had cut fat she probably would have looked smaller than they wanted.

@lake356 I had this same exact thought after leaving the movie theater! I swear they used extra CGI on her deltoids when they had a zoom in shot. I mentioned this to my boyfriend and his cousin. Their response was they thought she look fine like that and she would look worst with more muscles! What the heck! She is beautiful and very lean. But I do wish she had more definition in her muscles. She is a warrior after all..

@mrssavage I have complicated feelings about this. Yes, Wonder Woman's strength is tied to her supernatural being so looking strong shouldn't matter but she came from a culture where she was trained in combat arts. Shouldn't she have an aesthetic to match? Why do Superman and Thor have to look the part of a supernaturally strong god-like being but female characters do not.

@mrssavage Yesss. Also, not super easy to gain muscle as a woman. If you look at her model photos vs her flexing WW poster, she definitely gained a decent amount of muscle for the role

@lake356 I'm Jewish and while I'm ecstatic that an Israeli actress was chosen, at the same time, I REALLY wish that someone absolutely ripped and beefy would have been chosen. It was our one chance for representation

@lake356 I was upset about it too, but I think it subtly highlights that physically fighting isn't her "power" per se; it is but she's got magic and stuff too that's more powerful.

@lake356 My boyfriend and I were actually really dissapointed with how skinny and frail the female characters were, which sucks because we shouldn't be judging women on their appearance in the first place but it would have been so much more believable if their arms/shoulders really looked like they trained in war archery, or if their legs were thicker and more powerful to show their training. The movie 300 didn't cast a bunch of 145lb guys as Spartans, idk why all the Amazons had to be so tiny...

@canadarose Unfortunately, if they bulked up too much they wouldn't be able to get future work. Here's hoping this movie marks a turning point on that current state of Hollywood.

Back