Why am I so bad at running, but do well in other cardio related activities?

@kmar123 Women have shorter legs, and running is actually really difficult on our hips and joints, if you have thicker legs, that is more to move and slows you down where in another cardio activity the strength may help you.

Running sucks, just do something else lol

@kmar123 Another underrated factor in running is the surface of the ground. Are you running on the pavement? Or asphalt, or grass? Depending on which, it’s better to get proper shoes especially on concrete ground. For me I prefer to run on the grass. Then again I prefer cycling above all for cardio

@kmar123 I’m a field-sport athlete. I’m fast. I’m fit. Take me off the field though…I cannot run distance. Rather, I cannot run with any sort of pace over a mile. Even when I’m at my most first fit for my sport, I have to build up to be able to even run three miles. So I bit the bullet last year and decided to train for a marathon. And, to echo what others here are saying, the key, for me at least, was to run slowwww.

@dawn16 Yes OP listen to this - sometimes when we start new sports endeavours we get hyped and have an awesome playlist and we blast out of the gate. But you have to go real slow at the beginning of the run like to be honest a bit faster than a walk and save the speed for the end if you still feel up to it. Honestly game changing advice that I was given as someone who sucked at running and became very into running.

@kmar123 I think you are pushing too hard too soon. My friend (female, former armed services) taught the couch to 5k class for new runners. There are a lot of variations, but the original is 9 weeks long by Josh Clark (app). Maybe just stick with the 1 minute run/2 minutes walk for a whole week before moving to 2 minute run/2 minute walk.

Edit: I think the program prescribes 3 sessions a week. Also, I used to walk a lot. When I started running, it was a whole new set of muscles.

@kmar123 I recommend going to a running store and have them size you for sneakers if you haven’t already. It makes such a difference. You also need to make sure that your running shoes are dedicated for running only. Don’t use them to do errands or strength train.

@kmar123 Echoing others who have said that the first few runs after a long break (or ever) are definitely the worst. If you stick with it and especially if you integrate the advice to start slow, warm up, and incorporate some strength work, it should start to feel better.

My own breakthrough with running happened when I realized I was breathing all wrong. No matter how much or how little I pushed myself, I felt like I as constantly gasping for breath and unable to fill my lungs. I read this book called “Breathe” and went down a Youtube rabbit hole to learn everything I could about diaphragmatic breathing and it was worked wonders for me! I now know how to actually breathe to fill my lungs, help my nervous system regulate itself, and avoid habits that before would trigger panic, which would make everything worse.

So definitely look into diaphragmatic breathing, and practice it daily, both at rest and when you run.

Fun fact: the pelvic floor muscles and diaphragm sync with each other, so if you have any known or suspected pelvic floor disfunction, that’s definitely something to look into on its own merits, too!

@kmar123 Okay so I used to suck at running and I’m not a beast now but I figured out the secret: RUN SLOW!

I was dying because I was running entirely too fast. Slow down to where you aren’t dying even if it means you are barely going faster than a walk. Try that and build. I think you will be surprised where you are after a month.

After about two weeks of running I could run consistently for 20 minutes. I thought this was amazing. Now I have gone for runs for longer than an hour. You naturally get faster without trying. I mean I’m no amazing runner but I can do it and actually enjoy it—I get a runner’s high. I thought that was impossible for me. Good luck!

@fillipos I’ve gotten into and fallen out of running several times over the past couple years and I swear when I get back in to it there are days I’m literally slower than I would be walking.

@fillipos SECONDED. God, so many attempts to become a person who likes running. So many crashes and burns. Finally I got one of those dumb apps and listened to the coach in my headphones haranguing me to "go slower. No, that's not slow. I mean EASY. However slow you think you're going, you're not, slow down." And....I went on an entire run/jog and enjoyed it, and wasn't in agony the next day, and could get out there and do it again.Go slow. Go so slow you feel ridiculous. Go so slow you're SURE people are looking and pointing and laughing (they're not, and if they are, they're awful people and their opinions don't matter.)

@dawn16 My favorite is once on my longest run ever in the last ten minutes, I think I had been running about 90 minutes an old man WALKED past me. I mean at this point I was a totally snail pace but still. Literally walked and he was probably 70, a fit 70, but 70. And I still felt proud because I used to barely be able to run for five minutes.

But yeah took me until 39 and the pandemic for me to figure out the running secret. I thought I could never be a runner and now runs in the sun keep me sane.

@fillipos Yes! I finally figured out I was trying to hard and while I was so proud of running for 3 minutes straight I was wrecked at the end of it, wheezing and nausea. Running slower is something you learn how to do. After a few weeks I can now run for 30-45 minutes but I’m slow, and I’m just building my endurance for a bit.

@kmar123 I dont know a lot about it honestly (beginner & still slow) but i noticed things got a lot easier when I started taking the time to warm up first and I eased into going faster for the first 10 or so minutes. I also feel like stretching after helps a little.

@kmar123 Do you have asthma? Just wanted to mention that there’s a huge difference between exercising indoors in a climate-controlled location and outdoors in the cold. I have cold-induced asthma so running outside during the winter is a no-no unless it’s a light jog pace. Have you tried running indoors on a treadmill to see if not being in the cold has any effect?

@kmar123 Others have said it, but run slower!!! Try to run at a conversational pace at first. It's likely that your anaerobic system has been optimized from all the HIIT, but that isn't helping your aerobic system. Look up uphill athlete and aerobic deficiency - it completely changed how I train for endurance. You need to train your aerobic system.

I used to do lots of HIIT, and in order for me to feel like I was not dying when I ran, I literally had to slow down to a 20 min/mile pace at first, which is slower than I walk haha. They're completely different systems. You don't want your HR to always be super high when running, especially for an event like a marathon. You'll gas out. By going slower, you can eventually build up speed at a lower HR.

As for the muscle and knee pain, you have to train your muscles and joints just like anything else. Go slow and take it easier, you'll build up the strength.

Back