Why am I so bad at running, but do well in other cardio related activities?

@kmar123 Starting running can be challenging, but don't worry, it's normal to feel out of breath and have sore knees at first. Here are some tips to help you get started and keep going:

Start slow and gradually increase intensity: Start with a slower pace and increase the duration and intensity of your runs gradually over time. This will help your body adapt to the new workout and prevent injury.

Proper warm-up and cool-down: Make sure to warm-up properly before each run with light cardio and stretching to prevent injury. After the run, cool down with stretching to reduce muscle soreness and help with recovery.

Invest in proper gear: Invest in a good pair of running shoes to provide proper support for your feet and prevent knee pain. Also, dress appropriately for the weather, avoiding overheating or getting too cold.

Mix it up: Mixing up your routine with other forms of cardio, like dance and HIIT, can help prevent boredom and give your body a break from the impact of running.

Be consistent: Stick to a consistent workout schedule and gradually increase the frequency and duration of your runs. This will help you build endurance and make running feel easier.

Focus on progress: Running is a challenging workout, but try to focus on your progress, no matter how small, rather than comparing yourself to others. Celebrate your accomplishments and remember why you started running in the first place.

Good luck with your running journey! Stay motivated and focused, and you'll get there.

@kmar123 I never was able to run until my late twenties, when I got cross country shoes and some of those Vibram 5 finger shoes. The generic cross-training athletic shoes I had always used in gym class made me strike my feet in a weird way that always hurt my knees. Light, thin-soled shoes allowed me to strike the ground in a more relaxed and natural way, and I never have had knee pain from running since. When I stated running, I also focused on running as slowly as possible, so I could build up endurance. I never did end up training myself to run faster (it just was not a priority for me) but I went from having trouble running for even a block to being able to run 6 miles at a steady pace without any issues.

@kmar123 Do you maybe have exercise induced asthma? This was me and running was the thing that triggered it (as well as dancing.) It wasn't heart rate, no matter how much biking, hiking, or climbing I did I didn't get it. I'm not sure what the difference is except the intensity of the impact as few exercises beat running and dancing (with like jumping, spinning, or stomping) on the impact scale. But I was able to function much better once I had a rescue inhaler. If that is the struggle you're having, it's an easy fix at least!

@emilswift Yeah, pretty sure I have it. It can be anything from too much humidity, not enough, to too many particulates in the air, especially when one is moving quickly and breathing through their mouth, as running tends to encourage.

@kmar123 Running is a very high impact activity! No only do you need to build sport-specific muscle strength, but you need to allow your other body systems (ligaments, tendons, circulation) to adapt to the impact. Running makes your bones denser over time (yay!) but can cause anemia in people who do it a lot and don’t compensate in their diet because you literally smash your red blood cells to pieces (yikes!).

So yeah, running isn’t just cardio. It’s a whole other beast of a physical activity.

@kmar123 You can’t run twice and expect it to be easy. You have to invest time in it. I’ve been running for years. If I take even one week off, it is noticeable. Stick with it, it does get easier.

@kmar123 lots of good comments here. just for perspective, i've come back to running several times after long breaks due to injuries. each time, no matter how far i was running before the break, it ALWAYS sucks at the beginning. i have learned that it takes 2 months of consistent running (at least 3x week) to go from feelings of dread/thinking "wow this fucking sucks" to looking forward to my run/"this isn't so bad". a few runs aren't going to make any difference in your body's adaptation.

@kmar123 Couch to 5k. Run as slow as you possibly can during the run parts. Don't be afraid to repeat a workout day if the next one seems too hard.

Let me say that second thing again: Run as slow as you possibly can during the run parts.

@comelordjesus This. It’s always tempting to push yourself to go faster, but ultimately does you a disservice if you’re gassing yourself quickly. Run slow. Like, painfully slow. Let your body adapt.

And get good shoes!!! That will help in all aspects of bodily pain. You may be sore from building and using new muscles, just don’t get injured because you used decade old sneakers.

@kmar123 I'm very new to running and built like a brick shithouse so it does not come naturally to me. My tips are to do a decent dynamic warmup plus walking for about 10 minutes first to avoid injury. I got tendinitis because I didn't warm up enough.

I also started on a treadmill so i could pace myself and landing on a treadmill is softer than landing on a road or pavement so your knees (along with the warmup) shouldn't hurt so much. I also like to do an interval workout and it's helped build my capability sustainably.

@kmar123 I was like that when I started too. Did plenty of HIIT and Zumba and the like, but running is just more cardiovascularly demanding.

There's a steep adjustment period when you first start running, but it does get better relatively quickly once you start doing it regularly, and it's super rewarding to see the improvement!

If I had to start over from the beginning, I would use a proper training plan instead of just going for runs. Maybe a couch to 10k type program - even though you're not really starting from the couch, it'll help you learn some basic programming principles, like how to include variety between sessions, how much to increase volume each week, etc. Especially if your goal is to build up to some high mileage within a year, the structure will help avoid setbacks.

@kmar123 For me, tracking my heart rate works. When it goes over ~147, I start walking. When it goes below ~140, I start running. I was doing that for weeks until I finally was able to run constantly (still very slowly though) with a heart rate around 145. It helps me thinking that my goal is not to run fast, but to run sustainably, for my health. I understand you have another goal. But I think in the beginning this health-centered approach could help you take it easier and not to quit.

@kmar123 I think running itself requires a different skill. I’m great at cardio too. I was able to ride a bike the furthest and fastest in my company’s youth team. I’ve consistently done 20k steps and above walking and have been told by friends that they’re amazed by how much I can walk while we travelled together. I can do decent HIIT. But I could never run, at all. Then I started Barry’s Bootcamp and would die each time. I would be at the lowest speed and would walk half the time. Trained it up and now I can run alright - better than last time but by no means good. But much better than last time.

I have a friend who lifts and gyms - like muscles popping up his arms kind of guy. And he still can’t run to save his life.

@kmar123 It takes a while for the body to get accustomed to running vs other cardio (and the cold doesn’t play to your benefit I would agree). I would suggest you look up the couch to 5k program, many Redditors have had success with this program. For myself I just made the promise to myself to put on running shoes and go as far as I wanted during Covid when gyms closed. I started from 2k slow jogging to a half marathon in less than 2hours in 9 months just by steadily improving speed and distance. In hindsight what actually created those results was the fact that I found out I enjoyed running. So take it easy and see if you like it as you get started. This is 2023 and forcing exercise that you actually hate upon your self is so out of fashion…

Suggest /running for inspiration. Or /slowjogging as you’re getting started. Best of luck!

@kmar123 I'm a lover of running, preferred workout by far.

The running will start to suck less the more you practice! When I started with 5ks, I would do half mile walking and a half mile jogging. Then I'd alternate miles- I'd do 1.5 running, .5 walking, and 1 running. Then I'd shave down to only walking when I absolutely needed it, and eventually walking just wasn't necessary anymore. It's a slow practice but once your legs/lungs/core get in sync- it's magic.

Other things that have helped me as I'm easing back into 25-35 miles per week:
  • Remember that if you walk for an extended point of the run, it'll be pretty hard to get back to running. It has something to do with lactic acid buildup but basically if you decide to walk for an extended period of time on a run, it'll make your legs feel heavier when you start running again. Try to limit walking to as short of bursts as possible.
  • cross training on an elliptical/rowing machine/lower BPM cardio options helps a ton. I don't go fast, but this builds lung capacity which makes running easier.
  • if you can make it through the first three miles, your body stops doing the "panic why are we running this sucks" thing.
  • Don't worry about time at first. Find your comfortable natural pace. That was between 10-14 minute for me at first.
  • If you can, run outside. For me, the scenery and exploring my neighborhoods is the best distraction from running. It helps me understand the short cuts better and I've found some really yummy cafes that way!
  • be the turtle! Be slow and steady as you start out! If you're running outside and burn out, you have to walk allll the way back to your starting point still. It's better to drop your pace by two minutes a mile and finish the run running than walk.
  • NUTRITION! Do not under fuel! The amount of times I've gone for a run and bonked earlier than anticipated, thought about my day as I was walking back, and landed on that I underfueled makes up at least 90% of the runs I didn't finish.

@kmar123 So, I hate running and am terrible at it so I'm not super well-equipped to give advice. BUT I started jogging recently and I went at a ridiculously slow pace. So slow that my phone said "I noticed you took a walk!" 😑 Just barely faster than a walk, but with jogging "form" so to speak. I was able to go around the block without stopping, and the next couple times I did it it got a little easier. Every other time I've tried jogging I've just tried to go at an actual jogging pace and I would burn out so easy it wasn't funny, but taking it ridiculously slow to start seems to be working a bit better.

@kmar123 Specificity - running requires some unqiue adaptations. You’ll benefit from the muscle and heart rate recovery you’ve built doing other forms of cardio, but it’s going to take more than two runs to adapt to running. You need to build a base not only for you to find your idea breathing, cadence and speed but also simply to let your tendons and joints adapt to the repetitive nature of a long run. Run slower than you think you should and keep at it. You will see progress. The path from 0 to 3 miles feels huge but the jump from 3 miles to 6 miles is more manageable because all those initial adaptations are done.

Also doesn’t matter if I’m going out for a short run or double digits, I will want to quit at mile 1.5-2 every single time. When you find your wall, make a mental note. My third mile always feels significantly better than my second. I hit another mental wall at mile 10. If you’re going for a full marathon, it will benefit you to know where your sticking points will be so you can mentally tough them out the day of the race.

Back