Why am I so bad at running, but do well in other cardio related activities?

@miumiu520
Run slower than you think you should

I want to expand on this, most people seriously underestimate how slowly they need to be running when they first start out. Also words like “slow” and “easy” are relative and can be hard to define from one runner to the next.

Think of it as “conversational pace,” meaning that you are running so slowly that you can control your breathing well enough to speak in complete sentences while you’re moving.

Whether you are a beginning runner or someone who has been doing it for years, your easy pace should always be conversational. As you gain more fitness, your conversational pace will get faster. As a beginner, all of your runs should be at conversational pace.

@kmar123 From what I’ve heard from my friends who run it is a skill in itself. The pace, breathing, the way you run e.g how you strike the ground all adds up to a successful run. They practice most days and focus on endurance.

I just don’t enjoy running myself because I have sinus issues so I roller-skate instead. Lots of alternatives out there.

@kmar123 I’m the same as you. I can do hiit and dance videos happily and have a great time. Start running though? Game over.

I did have success with couch to 5k program and I even enjoyed it a little bit. So yeah, recommend that!

@kmar123 Start with a 5k program. You can't expect to go out and just be able to run. I started running at 37 and I always hated because no one ever told me how to start at the bottom and get better. The programs exist because they work. HIIT is a lot different than continuous running.

@kmar123 Run slower.

Most people start out at a fast pace that feels right but that is not sustainable. Run slower than that. Run EVEN slower! It might feel ridiculously slow. (what does it feel like to jog in place?) The goal is to run the same pace for the whole run.

Other tips: small, quick steps

@megalicious The lifehack from my uni coach is that for a relaxing jog you should maintain the speed that would allow you to talk. That's why we would run in pairs or groups of three. Still works for me

@kmar123 Cold-induced asthma is a thing. Wear warmer clothes and a wool buff (circle scarf/snood) over your face but also of course talk to your doc.

To really science it out, do a dance workout in the same conditions

@kmar123 If you really do find yourself choking up while running, you might want to consider going to your doctor just to ask about asthma.

I always considered myself fairly fit growing up since I played soccer and did cheerleading and hiked regularly, but occasionally, running or hiking an extremely steep hill made my throat feel like it was closing up. Turns out I have exercise induced asthma! I know how to not push myself to that level now but it is still very annoying! Good luck on your training!!

@kmar123 Sounds like you’re having an experience similar to me lol!

I thought I was very fit from doing lots of hiking, hot yoga, and HIIT. But girrrllll when I started doing “real” cardio goddamn.

I personally found it much easier and enjoyable to build a base on the bike then switched to running. But if you want to do a marathon idk how feasible that timeline is. I’d say just to go run. Don’t do intervals you don’t need speed work. Just run slow and comfortable and then that slow/comfortable pace isn’t comfortable then take a walk break, when you feel ready then run again! Listen to your body.

Back