Will I always be absolutely destroyed after a workout until I’m out of the obese category?

@thornbearer It's totally normal to hurt when you're getting back into working out. Your whole body can hurt and you can get that depressed feeling. Don't worry, it should pass after 1-2 weeks.

If recommended to add some fat and protein to your diet for more balance.

@thornbearer Just chiming in to agree and add my two cents. First off, congratulations on taking steps to care for yourself! This is a huge gift you are giving to your future self and everyone who cares about you.

Nutrition:

100% agree that you need to fuel yourself properly to have energy and recover. You need protein. Literally every cell in your body is made of proteins! Over time those cells wear out, get damaged, etc. If you don't eat enough protein, you have nothing to build new cells with. That's bad news for your health!

Exercise can increase the amount of protein you need even if you're not trying to build lots of muscle, because exercise causes more wear and tear on your bones and muscles. That's a good thing - it signals your body to repair and strengthen those tissues - but if you don't have the raw materials to make repairs then you're basically just grinding yourself down more and more each workout.

Exercising while obese? Been there, done that, bought the XL t-shirt. It's normal to have a lot of muscle soreness when starting a new workout plan, no matter what you weigh. That'll go away over a few weeks if you keep working out.

Watch out for any of the following:
  • Sharp, stabbing, or shooting pain anywhere in your body
  • Pain that feels like it's in your bones or joints (as opposed to your muscles)
  • Pain that is accompanied by swelling, redness, or heat
These are signs of possible injury, so take a recovery break to heal if you notice them. If it doesn't go away on its own after a week or so of rest, talk to a doctor.

Extra weight increases the stress on your body from high-impact exercise like jogging, many sports, dancing, etc. Walking is okay for a lot of people even at higher weights - it's pretty gentle on your joints. Just make sure you have good supportive walking shoes. But if you do notice joint pain from walking more, try switching to low-impact cardio like a stationary bike or an elliptical until you get some more weight off.

@teatimebabe28 I’m not the OP, but thank you for your really nice comment. I’ve gained some weight lately and have finally gotten back to a fitness routine and have been beating myself up for struggling at exercises that I used to do comfortably at my lighter weight.

@thornbearer Throw in a chopped chicken breast with the veggies you cook and don’t be afraid to eat eggs- I noticed a difference when I got so much lean protein I didn’t realize I lacked

@thornbearer You need a lot more protein. Protein and amino acids are how your body repairs muscle. And healthy fats are how your body makes sure you brain and hormones are working.

Please consult a nutritionist!

@unashamed4life Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't know that for the longest time, but once I became more knowledgeable about nutrition, I realized most of the Instagram nutritionists were doling out some horrific advice, and people unfortunately treat their word as God.

@unashamed4life This.

I did a huge weight loss a couple of years ago while also becoming a runner and lifting weights. I was tracking calories to make sure my macros were good (not obsessing at all) and I had enough protein for recovery, growth etc.

I sighed up with a nutritionist and it was awful. I got preached the food pyramid, they refused to let me track any food macros and overall it was a disaster. I wanted someone who could deal with sports nutrition. I handed them a fucking layup, and they fucked it up.

Back