Will I always be absolutely destroyed after a workout until I’m out of the obese category?

@thornbearer it will pass and soon you won't feel like a train wreck. it always helps to keep on moving when sore, even if it's a little bit. also drinking a lotnof water helps me too. keep on keeping on!

@jandi Trainwreck gave me a chuckle. Exactly how I’d describe my body feeling right now! Definitely going to go today and at least use the treadmill. Thanks for the advice :) also, will keep on myself for water. I definitely woke up dehydrated which probably didn’t help 🤦🏽‍♀️

@thornbearer I feel like a train wreck myself from sleeping dumb, lol! getting ready for the gym though. trying to move around to loosen everything. best of luck!

@thornbearer Sounds like you are super motivated which is great!

You will probably want to find a workout plan, especially if you are new to working out. There are tons out there. I find if I don’t have one it’s really difficult to measure progress & I get overwhelmed with all the options out there.

For sure add in protein, fat, carbs & track what you eat. It is really easy to underestimate what you’re eating.

Also, I have been working out for years and I still get sore all the time. There are different levels of soreness though - it usually won’t be as intense as you work out more. Now I welcome the soreness - makes me feel like I got a good workout in!

@ameldabby Thank you for the advice. I’ve gotten a proper sense of reality from all these comments about diet, I appreciate it. I am definitely motivated! I suppose also, I’m pretty goddamn scared of backsliding in any way.

I am overwhelmed with all the workout plan opinions out there but I’m determined to wade through and find a good one. It’s worth it in the end. Also, genuinely motivated to imagine one day I’ll welcome the soreness :)

@thornbearer FWIW, I use the SWEAT app. I love it. There are many different programs (HIIT, lifting only, barre, etc). It tells you exactly what to do, how long to do it, how many etc. I think you can try it for 7 days for free.

@thornbearer It definitely won't always be so painful! Remember that comparison is the thief of joy - the programmes you see people doing after training consistently for 10 years, isn't going to be where you're at! You'll want to start small and build from there and that's great.

Also, adding in more protein will definitely help your recovery! I feel like warm garbage when I exercise and don't get enough protein, even cardio tbh.

@rdj2008 That’s pretty interesting to hear about protein! I’m not sure why, I just didn’t think that had anything to do with it if one is extra large. I’m going to sort it.

You’re absolutely correct- I am comparing myself and it’s not good. I’m scared of not building a consistent routine and slipping off entirely but I do need to take it a day at a time. Thank you for advice and reassurance

@thornbearer I've definitely found mass protein helps when exercising a lot to stop the DOMs get as bad. And the upside is that protein is more satiating per calorie than fats and carbs, so helps you keep within a deficit.

@thornbearer Protein is what makes your muscles do their jobs. It helps them recover after a workout, get stronger, and hurt less. Even if you have weight to lose, your body needs protein to keep functioning while you lose the weight. It needs carbs and fat too, but that is a different topic.

What's cool is that at your current build, your muscles (especially your legs) are actually pretty strong. They kinda have to be. As you lose weight, your body does less work to help you get around. If you want to keep those badass strong legs as you lose weight, give them protein.

@thornbearer I think if you're worried about slipping, it's so much easier to be consistent when what you're trying to achieve is actually achievable and has time built in for recovery.

I'd also say I love tracking when I've worked out - so when inevitably I don't hit my target e.g. I got a cold and couldn't work out - I can say "well I just hit my targets for 3 weeks in a row, this missed workout isn't going to make me feel guilt or failure". It makes it so much easier to pick back up!

@thornbearer I find that protien intake is the number one factor that affects post workout soreness! Try to get at least 75 grams per day for a couple of weeks, and see if it feels better. I'm sure it will!

@thornbearer
That’s pretty interesting to hear about protein! I’m not sure why, I just didn’t think that had anything to do with it if one is extra large. I’m going to sort it.

(this is knowledge based on my intro-level life science class in university and I'm no biologist but I'm fairly certain it's correct so bear with me) The thing with our bodies & energy storage is that any excess will be stored at fat; regardless of whether it's carbs, protein, or actual dietary fats - your body will store it as fatty tissue. This means that you don't start making new proteins out of adipose tissue, and if your body *is* getting protein from somewhere, it'll likely be out of the protein it already had stored, which is in the muscles. This is helpful if you're a caveman and short on food so you need the protein from somewhere, but a little counterintuitive in other cases.
Long story short, you need protein in your diet on a daily basis!

As for routine - find what works for you. My friend usually works out around 6 or 7pm. I get dizzy at the thought of working out so late in the day so I'm more of a morning person and this works so much better for me, while he seems to thrive with late workouts. Similarly, my mom loves group stuff with pilates, zumba etc. but I hate group lessons. What matters is that we're doing something that works for us and something that we like.

@thornbearer I am here to tell you: it will only get better. Seriously, seriously.

Post workout soreness, or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is common after doing movements that are new to your body. Being a beginner is impacting you there, for sure. Being obese probably is not, I don’t think. You can get your body used to movements and build muscle at any weight or body fat level.

I will say that for myself and I think many people, soreness is also exacerbated by not having enough nutrients in your system. Protein absolutely is important. So are fats. So are carbs. Please do consider rounding out your food.

Sleep can also be impactful. Right now as I type this, I did some heavyish lifts the day before yesterday, and I slept poorly last night. I’m a little sore. It does happen.

Either gentle movements (walking is great) or just getting right back at it in terms of workouts will lessen soreness. I might go for a walk today or I might do a normal-for-me heavy lift this evening, I’m just going to see how I feel. You can get through this!!

@sk83n Thanks for the advice about food. It’s something I’m definitely realising now. I had no idea about the sleep! I slept really well that first night but last night was terrible, definitely makes sense now.

It’s seriously like a breath of fresh air hearing that it’ll get easier. I knew it was because I was actually moving those muscles for the first time, I just assumed it’ll feel like new all the time because those muscles carry so much fat on them. Thanks for clarifying and reassuring. I’m going to also go do some walking on the treadmill, even if I do feel like a twat going in for only 10 mins.

@thornbearer I like to have a TV show reserved for workouts only, so that I have some distraction/motivation to keep going while exercising. Shorter comedies are great for this, as they're manageable chunks that you can work on building up. Maybe you start out doing half the show on the treadmill and the second half while cooling down and stretching on the mats, but eventually you'll be able to do a whole episode or two.

My personal favorite for this is Nailed It. Nicole Byers is a gem!

Back