Will I always be absolutely destroyed after a workout until I’m out of the obese category?

@thornbearer I would definitely track you calories if you're aiming to lose weight. You should be aiming for around 1500 a day. I would fill out a TDEE for weightloss. Also doing an epileptic might be a bit easier on your body at the beginning.

@thornbearer If you keep at exercising, you'll stop getting miserably sore pretty quickly once you get the tiniest strength baseline. Just like others are saying, just dial it back a little for a few weeks but don't stop entirely then ramp up as your body acclimates.

Those of us who are lifelong exercisers who you hear sometimes saying "wow that new workout I tried last week got me so sore haha" are NOT experiencing what you are right now. Once your body is seasoned, it takes something really dramatic to ever get "person brand new to exercising" sore again. Arguably that never happens again if you keep up some moderate exercise.

I remember being in my mid 20s and starting gym stuff for the first time in years and getting wrecked like you are. That was about 25 years ago. I've fallen off a little here and there but never has it been miserable like those first months again. And it was so worth it. I thank my younger self constantly for struggling through that.

@thornbearer When I first started working out my DOMS were lasting like six days and I was in bits (especially leg work, lunges left me barely able to walk) and even though my planned workout routine had been for every second day I couldn’t do my next workout for like four days. I was starting from zero fitness and my muscles killed me. But. After doing my workout routine only a few times, so within about three weeks, my doms were minimal. Never sore for more than two days, and to a much lesser extent than I had been at the beginning, like I wasn’t so sore it was impacting my ability to do things. So, yeah, bad doms are not uncommon at the beginning of a new workout program but stick with it and they’ll get better pretty quickly.

Also, don’t be afraid to eat protein. It’s required for muscle growth and repair and just general human function. There’s plenty of lean protein sources for the calorie conscious.

@thornbearer Protein is always important when you work out, and frankly for body recomp in general. My friend lost 100 lbs just eating low carb without working out. Losing weight isn’t just about your workout, you have to eat what your body needs to see the results you want.

@thornbearer As someone who has made this journey: if you're going so hard that you're starting to dread going to the gym, the best thing you can do is slow down and lighten up.

It is vastly more valuable to work out less hard, but stay consistent, than it is to go hard every time. Going too hard too soon courts serious risk of either a) injury, or b) burn-out, both of which are ultimately counterproductive. The person who exercises more gently but maintains the habit will make far more progress over a year than the person who busts their ass for three weeks and then quits.

My best advice:

Give yourself easy wins in the beginning. Work out only to the point where you still have some gas in the tank, and then stop. You may still get some DOMS in the beginning, but you'll also feel a lot more positive about doing it again the next day (or in a couple of days), and that positive reinforcement will lay the groundwork for much bigger gains further down the road. The habit should be your primary concern in the beginning, and the how/what/intensity should all be secondary. Your body will let you know when it's really ready to do a little more, and you can build from there.

And if you ever get to a point where you start to feel dread or resentment about exercise, it's time to take a step back and consider your intensity, frequency, or whether it's time to try something different.

And know that the vast majority of people who are regular exercisers do not feel demolished after every workout. Even the long-distance runners and heavy lifters generally only feel pleasantly fatigued; they've just advanced far enough that work that looks impossible to you (and to me) isn't as taxing to them. You can get there, too, but it will take time and consistency. Work out for their intensity level (gentle to moderate for most workouts, heavy intensity only occasionally), not for their fitness level.

Walk, as far as is comfortable and at a speed that is active but sustainable; don't worry about the incline. Maybe do a little bit of simple strength work including exercises like bodyweight squats, wall pushups, modified knee planks, etc. And just focus on fostering the habit of doing something every day, even if that just means showing up for an easy walk 5-6 days per week. The rest will come in time. Good luck!

@thornbearer Protein is the MOST important macro, regardless of you being obese or not. Protein is what is going to help you build and maintain muscle, the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is. Carbs and Fat are pretty interchangeable depending on your preferences, unless you are a distance athlete. You should be aiming for 1g of protein per 1lb of LEAN BODYMASS daily. Protein also helps you recover faster!

As for recovery, it doesn't have much to do with your current state. As you get stronger, your workouts do as well, but you adapt, and some days you are going to feel wrecked and some days you aren't. That is ok. The most important thing is to keep showing up. Even if all you can do is walk at a slow pace while watching TV.

Also, make sure you are drinking a LOT of water.

@thornbearer I scrolled through to make sure someone told you the term you are looking for is DOMS. I am super prone to it as well. .

A resource that you may find helpful, one that I like, is No Meat Athlete. I know there are hundreds of websites and Instagram accounts that have these kinds of tips but this is one I've been checking in on for honestly about 10 years. It didn't used to look so slick, It's really evolved.

I'm not linking this to push vegetarianism on you at all, but what I really about this resource is that it's specifically * isn't * about weight loss. It's just about making healthy plant based choices to fuel a workout.

Obviously a healthy diet specifically looking at things like balancing out fruits and vegetables with proteins and fats plus a working out is need to do is a really strong combination. It doesn't come off as fad diet at all. They cater a lot to the running community and again they've been around for a long time.

@thornbearer You’ve gotten a lot of good advice here so I’d just like to add that unless you’re planning on spending 6 figures on plastic surgery you’re not going to get a Kim K body because that is how she got hers.

Don’t compare yourself to people who spend their life getting plastic surgery. Compare yourself to earlier you. 💖

@lmridgle1 Comparison is always the enemy (and the thief of joy). And there's a difference between "inspiration" (appreciating someone's journey and letting it give you a feeling of joy that motivates you to find your own unique progress journey), and "comparison". And yes, choosing someone with loads of plastic surgery as a reference is not the greatest "inspiration".

@thornbearer
  1. Eating a healthy diet would actually help your recovery. Your body needs protein and fat too, not just carbs from vegetables. Make sure to include a source of protein with your vegetables and eat healthy fats everyday.
  2. I really doubt you can hit enough muscle groups with just 3 machines. I recommend looking into a routine suitable for beginners. You may want to start with small weights if you get too sore. This will also help you get used to the movements. Generally free weights are better because you use more muscles.
    Probably 2 full body resistance training sessions per week is enough for you at this point. You actually need to train all muscle groups to prevent muscle loss and injury during cardio and your daily activities.
Also, cardio may help with the soreness, so even though you may feel like it would have the opposite effect it is worth trying.

Walking on the treadmill with an incline is good. You can take a break if you get tired after 15 minutes and try doing 10-15min more.
  1. To answer your question, things do get better in time. It just looks to me that your current experience is the result of both being new to working out and the fact you made up your own diet and routine without haveing the proper knowledge to do that.

@thornbearer So many great answers! I just wanted to add that the more you work out, the less sore you’ll feel after a good workout. And if you’re like me, you might even start having positive emotions about the soreness you do still feel. I associate it with my body getting something it needed, so there’s a feeling of satisfaction along with the slight discomfort. But yeah, going back to the gym after lockdown, the soreness was a lot more intense, so I can imagine what you’re feeling now! As others have said, don’t worry, it’s not going to be like that every time.

@thornbearer OP, have you ever thought of joining weight watchers? It taught me so very much about nutrition. I put on a ton of weight when I had my last baby and then the pandemic started. I’m a nurse and in the beginning we were having food sent to us every day. Every day I had this huge spread of food at work.

I had been working out steadily for 2 years prior but wasn’t losing weight. I had tried the Keto diet which I had zero energy to work out. I tired starving myself, nothing worked.

In July of 2020 I signed up for weight watchers abs started an exercise routine I could stick to. I’ve lost 65lbs. I’ve got 20 to go but I’m also happy with where I’m at and if the weight comes off it comes off, if it doesn’t Im ok.

I learned so much about nutrition and what worked for my body. Protein is very important. I drink a protein shake in the morning. I also eat chicken and lean pork chop. They are two of my staples. Fruits like berries are actually high fiber/low sugar abs are great to eat.

You need carbs for quick fuel to exercise. You need protein for muscle. You also need some fat in your diet. It’s all about balance.

I change up my exercise routine as well. I kickbox 3 times a week, I do yoga to stretch me out, I have found a dance routine that I can do at home. When it’s warm outside I run. I never thought I’d ever be able to run a mile, much less 3-4 miles. By last fall that’s how far I could run.

Good Luck OP.

@klara6 Just want to say that this is so detailed and comprehensive!

OP, the point about needing fat for hormone regulation is really important and not one to miss. Lots of folks have covered the importance of protein already, so I just want to highlight this in particular in the above comment. Your body needs a minimum amount of fat to keep your hormones balanced. A good registered dietician should be able to help make sure you’re getting enough (if you have access to one), and just in general I’d be really suspicious of anyone or anything trying to scare you into not eating fats!

@mam2011 Thank you! I hope they get to read it. Sometimes the long-windedness turns people off but I really wanted to stress why certain macros are necessary rather than just say they are.

@thornbearer I am at a complete different point in my journey but all i can say is that when I am too sore after working out, I just tone it down and use less weight. Rather consistency, show up regularly.

@thornbearer Consistency is more important than drastic changes. You'll be more likely to stick to a routine if it's sustainable, and that includes food that is healthy, nourishing and aids your recovery. Eating veg only can slower your metabolism and in the end put a plateau on your weight loss.

@thornbearer I am in a sort of similar position to you. I used to be quite fit and active but the last 4-5 years a mixture of stress from finishing my studies and starting a busy job, lack of time, and probably a sprinkling of depression have meant that i have been extremely inactive and put on quite a bit of weight tipping me into the obesity range of BMI.

A few standout things i noticed in your post. You seem motivated which is great but remember that the most effective workout is the one that you will stick to and do regularly. The one time you go and spend 3 hours destroying yourself in the gym won’t make you fit. Its the consistency of going and moving every single day and committing to it, incorporating it into your lifestyle and your identity. That will have the biggest impact. When i started out i did the same thing, started running as much as i could and then spending another hour in the weights section. But then i would be so sore and tired it took me forever to recover. And i developed shin splints.

What i would advise you to do is find some exercises that you think you could do repeatedly and work it into your day, for 30-60 minutes a day. Even if you do your incline walking three times a week, find other ways to be active the other days. I really like a gentle yoga sessions to stretch and keep mobile. And lifting weights helps to feel strong and to support your joints. If i were you i would avoid jumping onto the machines that isolate single movements. Focus on compound movements which will have the biggest functional impact. Things like squats, deadlifts, and some for of push and pull. Focus on your form and on connecting to your body. Even if you can only do 10 bodyweight squats, and deadlifting 2kg dumbbells. Even if you do push-ups standing pushing away from a wall. Focussing on engaging those muscles and building a mind-body connection. The soreness will be more generalised but shouldn’t be as intense. And your body will become used to moving in certain ways that you can start adding weight and building your strength.

Next is food. I know it is tempting to try to starve yourself, but over exercising and under-eating is a recipe for disaster. You said that as an obese person you don’t need to worry about things like protein but actually it is the opposite. Most obese people are malnourished, because in order to put weight on like that you have to be eating highly palatable but low nutritious food. Veggies are great but alone are not enough. Make sure you are eating beans, legumes, whole grains, fruit and a variety of vegetables. If your primary goal is to get more physically fit then focus on fuelling your body to achieve your workouts rather than starving yourself and exercising to burn off your food. Longevity studies show that exercise has a larger impact on your life expectancy than how much you weigh, and most people who diet to lose weight will eventually put it back on again.

It is so hard i know but you are doing great. Remember to be kind to yourself !

Back