1 year of natural bodybuilding progress

professorphrink

Hey guys,

1 year of progress here. No creatine or protein shakes here or other supplements. Just diet and hard work. Here is my progress after 1 year and 2 months. I started at the beginning of september 2022. It was a hell of a journey.

I will be honest with you, the first 4 months I didn't take gym very seriously, and was training only 1 time per week. After that, I decided that enough is enough and it is about time to stop wasting time. If I am to do something, I will do it properly.

In January 2023, I increased from 1 time per week to 3 times a week. 2 sessions of strength training (monday= chest and tri. thursday= back and biceps) and 1 session of cardio (wednesday). No legs due to an injury.

In may 2023, I started training legs as well, and in total, this was raised to 4 sessions per week.

In july 2023 I decided I need to shred the amount of fat I gained. I was not comfortable having a big belly and a high bf. So I started doing 3 sessions of cardio per week, running outside uphill for at least 1 hour.

My stats are the following:

1) Before (when I started)

28 male, skinny fat, 1.70 cm height (5'7), 55 kg (121 lbs), depressed.

2) Currently

29 male, 5'7, 62 kg (136 lbs), slightly less depressed.

I will be honest, I have no idea what the fuck I am doing most of the time. Well, ok, I am not that clueless. I do understand most of the basics (I think). I focus on . I do not count calories, the amount of protein I consume, etc. I just eat as healthy as possible with a diet full of protein. I focus on form, and if an exercise that is supposed to target a muscle group does not give me that burning sensation in that area, I ditch it.

My current routine is training 5 or 6 days a week. Rest on sundays or saturdays. 2 or 3 sessions of cardio per week, and 3 sessions of strength training per week. I usually try to hit 3 sessions of cardio a week, but sometimes I don't have time or sometimes I do need to rest.

My diet consists of lots of eggs, meat, yogurt, cheese, rice, potatoes, sometimes fruits, milk, sometimes salads, chicken breast, beef. I don't think I am missing something. That's it. I am not even kidding. For the past 6-7 months, my only dinner has been rice and chicken breast, constantly. I am a simple man, and I enjoy this meal even if I've eaten it every day for the past 6-7 months.

I know that everybody's different, but I learnt an important lesson for myself during this past year. The more I train a muscle part, the bigger and stronger it gets. Some people prefer to train a muscle group once a week. I do it twice a week. I hit chest, back, biceps, and triceps twice a week. Once I started doing that, my progress went up significantly, in strength, size, and performance. I used to train each muscle part once a week, but that did not give me good results. For me, the most optimal and efficient way is to train a muscle part as frequent as possible per week, without neglecting rest. From may to november, I've doubled my strength.

This was proven to me that I was right in my case, because the strength in legs increased the most, since I train them the most. I do 1 session of strength training in the gym for legs, and 3 sessions of cardio outside climbing uphill, which still stimulates the muscle better in my opinion than running on flat terrain. From may to today, I have quadrupled the strength in my legs. I know these are not impressive numbers, but in May I was barely able to squat with 5 kg plates (11 lbs) on each side, and now I and doing deep squats with 20 kg plates (44 lbs) on each side. Again, numbers are not impressive, but I am looking at the part that I have 4 times the strength now compared to 5-6 months ago, and I am proud of myself.

I will be honest, I am proud of myself. I got so caught in my own life that I forgot to take a break, and take a look back, to where I started. I knew I had good progress, but forgot how I looked when I started. When I saw the before picture, I was in shock. I almost teared up. I came a long way, and this gave me back the inspiration and motivation to keep grinding, since I was kinda down lately.

I haven't trained shoulders at all, due to an old and serious injury, but I plan to start training them slowly and lightly. Any thoughts on progress, and how I can improve even more? I know I have been training for 1 year, but I still consider myself a beginner who does not know shit about fitness and bodybuilding.

@professorphrink Tremendous progress. You should be very proud. Nothing wrong with creatine or protein shakes though. They’re both just ways to get nutrients you can otherwise get from food.

@dawn16 Thank you, sir!

Yea, I have some fears that I can't get past about creatine even though it has been proven to be safe. As for protein, unfortunately whey causes me health issues, but I have got some rice and bean protein shake a month ago that gives me almost the same amount of protein per serving as a whey protein shake.

@professorphrink Before I started using whey protein I made myself white/cottage cheese shakes. 200g of such, 300ml of milk and possibly a banana makes a nice, smooth and protein rich shake.

@professorphrink If you can’t articulate why creatine scares you with evidence that contradicts the science then there is no reason to be afraid. It is tremendous aid in bulking context and can help you gain like 5-15% more gains over the same period of time without it.

@tinamichael ive been a while since i looked into this, but creatine increases your DHT levels which is known to cause hairloss, so if you're already susceptible to hairloss it'll potentially make it worse

@jimall Old post but anyway - if your hair is important to you (and it is to me) a DHT blocker pretty much takes care of that. Hasn’t fixed my fucked up hairline but I don’t have to worry about it getting worse, either. Even with the creative.

@beaub eh ive already accepted that my hair is thinning and its inevitable, it doesn't seem like creatine is making it worse though so far so it might be different for everyone

@professorphrink Are you lactose intolerant? I am and there are certain whey proteins that at high dilutions (more water) are lactose free. I've found it to work well.

Also creatine is naturally in most meat and whatnot so you're consuming it anyway, the supplement is just topping up the amount in your system needed to do all the weight training.

Still, awesome progress man, you should be hella proud

@professorphrink SOLID progress for a year. Great work mate.

I decided that enough is enough and it is about time to stop wasting time. If I am to do something, I will do it properly.

This is it. This is the turning point where proper progress happens.

Regarding shoulder training: Lots of DB and cable side lateral raises, and lots of DB/BB/Machine overhead presses, making sure you can feel your delt working in each of the movements. I like the 10-15 rep range but ymmv. If you're not feeling it in the delt, try another type of raise/press and circle back to the original exercise in a few months.

@aule He stated a previous injury, so likely rotator cuff therefore stability work with bands would likely be helpful first before diving in to face pulls and lat raises and stuff