100lbs obese, where to start?

gorgeousguy1976

Pics:
I know weight loss happens in the kitchen but I want to become less sedentary and build strength while I lose weight.

Looking for any recommendations on where to start.

Before I gained weight I worked out quite a bit, usually a 6 day PPL split for 1-2 hours a day.

But now that I’m overweight and sedentary I don’t want to hurt myself trying to jump back into that, and I’m just wondering if there’s a specific workout that’s supposed to be good for overweight people, or if I can just slowly build my way back up to what I used to do.

Also my cardio will probably be walking every day. I do plan on working out 3-4 days a week instead of the 6 I used to do, and probably only 1-1.5 hours max.

@gorgeousguy1976 Once you’ve been to the doctor to make sure your heart is ok and get the go ahead, walking will definitely be your friend. As much as you have time for. Build up, so you don’t give yourself plantar fasciitis (voice of experience), and make sure you have really good running shoes (I find Hokas good and cushiony). And definitely, conceptualize it as a change of lifestyle for the rest of your life, not “losing weight.” If you develop a healthy lifestyle, you will lost weight, obviously, but that’s just the side bonus of being a person who lives a healthy life.

@gorgeousguy1976 What worked for me is going on the Keto Diet. Our bodies change from burning sugars to burning fats as a fuel and reduce insulin spikes. Immediately, we start losing weight (admittedly water weight) but it feels great as clothes get looser and compliments come in. Then after the body adapts to burning fat we loose the cravings for carbs (sugars) and intermittent fasting becomes easy and accelerates weight loss. Keep it up with an aerobic workout program (walking, hiking, swimming, etc.) and you'll be amazed at the results. Also our brains prefer burning fats instead of sugars so expect to be able to think clearer and feel positive.

@gorgeousguy1976 Kind of in the same boat, so can't give long-term advice. Though I'm down 20lbs and aiming to drop another 40-50. Following advice from a friend who is a literal body builder.

As you mentioned, diet is a key component and I've found that to really help with my energy levels as well. I count my macros and aim for ~170g of protein daily (I hear mixed 'experts' say at least 150g/daily or your goal weight in g/daily so I just aim for the middle). When I've been hitting high protein regularly and lots of water my energy feels better and I can give better workouts.

As for working out, I'm mostly sticking to cardio. ~30min on the stair master 4 days/weekly before my night shifts. I will not run, so the stair master or eliptical are good go tos for me. Pop a protein shake before the workout, then stick to my meal preps for the night.

With my schedule I currently get 4 days off one week, 2 the next, so I've been toying with the idea of adding weights on those days. Based off what my friend said, on the 2 days I'll plan an upper body/lower body day each. For the 4 days I'll plan a day each that focuses on muscle groups like Chest/Triceps, Shoulder/Biceps, back/glutes, etc. And everything I've learned is simplicity is key. Those multi-muscle group workouts are either ineffective due to being so difficult to perform or unable to appropriately work the muscles.

Good luck!

@gorgeousguy1976 Congratulations on posting this and having a fitness goal

Please note that I am not a medical doctor.
Only sharing what has worked out for me.

These are the simple steps -
1. Eat Healthy (I eat a lot of vegetables)
2. Exercise - walk or brisk walk for about 30 minutes a day
3. Sleep for 8+ hours
4. Also, join a fitness group, even if virtual. This helped me a lot.

Weight loss will need patience, so key is to not lose hope.

If i can do it, I know you surely can !!

Feel free to ask any questions or reach out if needed.

Wishing you the very best for your weight loss journey!!!!

@gorgeousguy1976 Go for a walk every day. When you're very overweight, it actually does burn a fair amount of calories. It is a safe way to start building up strength and stability coming from being totally sedentary. And most importantly in my opinion, it does wonders for your mental health. I also love it because it is a habit that is relatively easy to sustain well into old age and through many injuries and set backs.

@gorgeousguy1976 Literally anywhere. You’ll see immediate results. Obviously fix your diet first.
Exercise-wise I’d start with walking to running, 1 mile of slow running being your first goal (it’ll take a bit). Don’t rush it. Walk until a mile is a easy walk then job between light posts until one day you can run a mile.
Swimming is a much better alternative given your weight if you know how and have somewhere to go.

@gorgeousguy1976 I reupped my gym membership and I go. I started Walking then got involved in a couple classes. I cleaned up my diet - making whole food choices and I also fast. I fast post medical crisis. I go to the gym for fitness. I am a firm believer in lose weight in the kitchen get fit in the gym. I just happen to be getting multiple birds with my stone: losing weight, toning up, healing after medical stuff.