[27M] I tried GMB's Parallettes One Program. Here is my experience, results, and review

@lorpro Here's my GMB P1 Journey [41M].

I'd had a really rough couple years previously, and was totally out of shape when I started. Level A actually seemed perfect for me to start at. When I started, there was a site called "Give it 100" so I videoed my progress at different points for that.

This was my Day 100 video:

This was day 168, the first time I did the Level A flow:

This was day 220, the first day I did a full bent arm stand:

This is a much more recent, stronger bent arm stand:

I loved the program. It was the most fun program I'd done in my life, up to that point. Everything seemed impossible at the beginning of each month, and would slowly become possible.

And, they interviewed me for their site!

https://gmb.io/josh-p1/

Anyway, I'm a huge fan. I just finished Level A of Rings One, and I'm having just as much fun doing that program.

@lorpro Good review, it is a great program. I finished my first go through (level b) earlier this year. Some of those straddle moves were challenging to say the least. Started up again recently on level a (I’d fallen out of my routine due to illness and some other circumstances and stacked on the weight ~20kg).

I actually stopped my second run through, 4 weeks in, to shift my focus to really mastering the push-up (balanced with some inverted rows) and allowing for a Saturday play day on the Parallettes. My reason for this shift is that Im actually making great progress with the pushups and want to be able to get to 6x8 perfect form before I progress.

That was all going well until my first Saturday play day when I attempted a shoulder stand type move/progression, underestimated my strength, accidentally got into a full but ugly as shit shoulder stand, panicked (making lots of ridiculous noises) and uncoordinatedly somersaulting out of it (while dodging my daughter). End result mildly sprained ankle.

While frustrating I was impressed with my strength - I wasn’t even getting close to that when I did level b the first time, let alone out of shape and carrying 20 extra kg. It also highly amused my five year old daughter, who took great delight in in laughing at how ridiculous I looked.

@lorpro Nice! I am thinking of getting the program too.

That's also some nice parallettes you have there, where did you get them and what did they cost? There are plenty on Amazon but but they seem expensive..

@lorpro Great review!

I did the elements program and recently finished P1 level A. Both were pretty easy but I'm not looking to get sore either. Probably could have struggled thru B but there were exercises I could not do plus I have no experience with parrallettes/gymnastics and little experience with body weight training in general.

I thought the progression was very good. I ended up further along than I expected. I'm going to be starting Level B shortly and I feel well prepared, I'm looking forward to it.

@lorpro I did phase A a while ago but haven't done B yet. I realize this is completely subjective but IMO I just found the program to be terribly boring and repetitive, and the instructor was very grating to listen to, like a bad PE teacher. I know this sounds unfair and has nothing to do with the merits of how the program is structured, but just wanted to share as I was very excited to get the program but haven't touched it in years now because of how little fun I had with it. Usually bodyweight exercise is more fun than weights but I'd prefer the dumbbells over this program. Just my 2 cents.

@albion_from_iowa I feel like most fitness instructors tend to be a bit dry on camera so I don't blame you lol. I think the only fitness program I've done that had an entertaining instructor was P90x. Tony Horton was great!

@lorpro This is a brilliant review. I was only just looking at their programs last night and thinking about making the investment (I want to be able to handstand and planche too). The side effects of improved aesthetics is definitely a bonus too.

@lorpro Great write up, thank you for this!

I bought P1 a few weeks ago after doing Elements and Integral Strength. Went to start it and then got really crook with the flu. Only starting to look at doing it again now so this review is very timely.

@lorpro Holy shit, this is amazing. Thanks. Firstly for giving the program a shot and putting in the work. Secondly for sharing your experience (especially in such a slick video - well done!). But mostly the first one: thanks for doing the work. It means a lot to us.

@ashwani I'll gladly pay for ads so more people can hear about us, but I'm not gonna pay people to say nice things about us. I just found out about this.

(In case it's not clear, I run GMB.)