3 Things I learned walking 100,000 steps (48 miles!) in a single day, plus tips on long-distance walking:

@kuriosiesouschristos For another beautiful Scottish walk, I can highly recommend the Great Glen Way. I did the Fort Augustus to Inverness section (i.e. along Loch Ness) over 3 days with friends. I think it was about 50 miles total, with a lot of elevation changes (some gradual and some not so gradual, but all totally doable for reasonably fit novice walkers). Really stunning.

@kuriosiesouschristos I'd also like to pimp a friend of mine: https://her-odyssey.org
Fidgit (the one I'm friends with) and her hiking partner Neon are walking from the southernmost tip of South America to Alaska. They take breaks once a year or so (just left tonight after a two-month rest) and have made it to Central America so far. It's less gear oriented and more focused on the human aspect of the journey, both with them and those they encounter. Pretty much every company that sponsors them is quality though, since it'd be hard to walk that far with shitty gear, in case you're in it for the gear recs too.

@kuriosiesouschristos I'm going to pimp a friend that I went to college with's blog: Walking With Wired. She did a shit ton of long distance through hiking starting with the PCT, then the CDT, and finished the triple crown with the AT. Then she went on and hiked in Arizona, Canada, Switzerland, France, Australia, New Zealand. She's kind of retired from distance hiking for a bit now, but she documented every day of all her trips and has loads of helpful tips about it including gear lists for all her different hikes. Check it out.

@kuriosiesouschristos I hiked the West Highland Way by myself when I was in college. It was an absolutely amazing trip. I honestly didn’t do any special training at all besides my usual gym workouts and runs. I just planned for less mileage for the first few days and expected to be sore.

@kuriosiesouschristos I stayed at hostels along the route, but I know that many people camp. I was in Scotland for the month of May (the only time I could go, since it was in between finishing classes for the year and starting my summer internship) so it was often rainy and chilly at night. Hostels were super cheap and most included breakfast. I also like meeting fellow travelers so I enjoyed the social aspect.

@katty143 I love the audiobook idea! I run long distance and always listen to music. I’ve seen people listen to podcasts, and I keep meaning to look some up! I’m getting tired of my playlist :)