3 Things I learned walking 100,000 steps (48 miles!) in a single day, plus tips on long-distance walking:

@takkula Wow! I had no idea there were charity walks of this sort. I will definitely be looking into them.

You are amazing for getting to 77km. with blisters! I lucked out and my feet didn't fare too poorly.

@katty143 One of my best friends does the Jimmy Fund Walk every year - walking the route of the Boston Marathon. I mean yeah it's only 26.2 miles, but it is entirely for charity. :) (I was training to join him when life sent me down another path and I left Boston)

@katty143 I did the Belgium one too - I actually made it to 100km on that one with blisters 😭 and I did it a second time without blisters, but my feet hurt so bad anyway!! I called my boyfriend when I was doing it and told him to never let me do it again, but I am considering it this year. I think I manage to forget quite how bad it is (especially the sleep deprivation)!

I've seen 50km walks advertised for people who don't want to be quite so masochistic.

@takkula I couldn't imagine going through with blisters. That's amazing. Do you know why you got blisters one time but not the other? Was there anything you did differently?

Last night I was saying I would never, ever do this type of thing again, but now I'm seeing that I was just shy of 50 miles, so now I probably have to do it again or it will drive me crazy.

And then two marathons' distance is just over 52 miles, so I'll probably have to hit that too.

Lol!

I do need to look into those charity ones though. It would give me such a sense of purpose.

@katty143 I used this foot cream in the weeks leading up to the walk, before the walk and 2 or 3 times during the walk. I think I also wore some thin bamboo socks I got from TK Maxx as a liner before putting on my hiking socks (bamboo socks are sooo soft)! And I was much more vigilant about hotspots and added plasters any time I felt a little rubbing.

Good luck on your new adventures :D

@takkula Thank you for this! Next time I try something like this, I'm going to do more foot prep just in case. I lucked out this time, but I am not going to chance it again.

@wifenotslave New Balance Nergize. I run seven miles every morning and will never use another shoe. These bad boys are amazing. I just keep replacing them with a new color every 500 miles or so.

@katty143 Amazing! I really want to do a 100k day too, but I'd probably opt for a hiking trail! There's not much to walk to. I think the most I was able to do where I live was about 30k. I wish SoCal cities were more walking friendly, but it seems like every day someone gets struck by an insane driver. :/

It'd probably take longer on a hiking trail, unless you found one that was very flat and super easygoing terrain. And then you'd have the issue of running out of daylight. Maybe try it on summer solstice?

@satow66 Long Beach. I can walk from my house to Downtown, but beyond that it's construction, and speeding drivers. There's also a lot of sketch people, and my entire street down to where downtown 'starts', there's SO. MUCH. DOG. POOP. I really dislike it. Oh well. At least my gym is in walking distance!

@dawn16 I live in a super small town so I feel you with the not much to walk to thing. I went to different gas stations a lot. We're lucky to have wide and vast sidewalks. We also have a ton of walking trails that are easy to get to.

I'm in North Western Washington.

@katty143 Ahh, I’m in northwest WA too! I love all the walking trails and feel like I could hit this just on trails (if I had the time and energy of course 😅) nice job!

@flajerz Endless places to explore! I live near the old Northern State Mental Hospital and the trails around there are gorgeous. I like that you can go into some of the old buildings still.

@dawn16 Try Fullerton! Craig Regional Park has a 3 mile loop. .75 miles down the road (straight shot from the back of the park) is Tri City Park with a 2 mile loop. I do this multiple times a week. I average around 20k steps walking with my dog.