3 Things I learned walking 100,000 steps (48 miles!) in a single day, plus tips on long-distance walking:

@katty143 Impressive! So you just walked all day long? Where do you live that it’s nice enough to walk outside at this time of the year? Are your feet sore? Did you do any other type of exercise (running, elliptical?)

@fromnorway I lucked out on the weather front! Sunny but not warm. I'm over in North Western Washington.

I am a runner and typically run seven miles every morning. I also do a lot of weight training.

I walked all day but did take breaks lots.

My feet feel surprisingly well! My big toes feel like they're dislocated or something like that. I have a feeling tomorrow will suck. Haha!

@katty143 Also you can install the game called Ingress and walk like A LOT but with purpose. Like every playground,sculpture,wall plate,almost everything can be an in game portal.

How much data does that use? I like the sound of it but I pay 1p for every MB so worry it could get expensive.

@souledout4him Yay! You're awesome!

It's super mentally tough. There were many times I almost gave up. So, so many times. Mostly out of boredom.

I used Instagram to keep me going! I don't have many followers (just people from school) but it was fun to update my story once in a while. People sent me motivational messages and seemed intrigued. It was pretty fun to have people check in on me. Plus, the podcast and music recommendations were great.

@katty143 This is really cool! I recently read Wild, about hiking the Pacific Coast Trail, and right now I’m reading A Walk In The Woods, about hiking the Appalachian Trail. I’ve been considering walking the West Scotland Way, but didn’t know how to start training for that kind of walk. How incredible is it that you can do this in and around your home!

@kuriosiesouschristos Seconding that the West Highland Way is amazing! I did it a couple of years ago, almost exactly a year after breaking my foot, so my fitness wasn’t awesome. I ‘trained’ by going on a few day hikes in the weeks before (it’s especially to go on hilly hikes, if possible) and walking as much as I could, but mostly we just took it slow and steady! You’ll be sore at the beginning, but you’ll adapt. It took us 8 days, and we had skipped the first leg due to time constraints. We definitely didn’t win any speed awards, but I’m so glad we did it!!

@kuriosiesouschristos Put a pack on your back and walk around town, parks, local trails. Check the amount of miles you’d be doing in the early stages of the WSW and make sure you can do that fairly easily. Have a backup plan to reduce mileage in the beginning if the DOMS gets you, or your feet play up.

Invest in good trustworthy footwear that you break in and have experience in distance walking in, well before your trip.