6 years on on and off ... it s*cks ... App for workout ?

@amenatlast Consciousness is the key.

Feeling connected to the ground, the sweat and sun and dirt. And for the rest of the day, how much better my mood is.

Wow this speak to me ... I am so attached to clean space that trying to enjoy the dirt could be a thing.

@cruzhjo69 Motivation runs out after a couple weeks. Discipline is what’s gonna do it.

First question: No. the body you want is gonna be made in the kitchen.

I’m not aware of any app, but I’ve found the rings on my Apple Watch are an excellent motivator and I don’t track weight progression anymore. I’ve lifted long enough to have a good ballpark of my percentages and I don’t stress myself out about tracking them.

@cruzhjo69 Fitbod is a pretty well rounded app that might fit what you are looking for. You can customize it to what equipment you or your gym has. There is a bodyweight fitness feature you can use if you don't have access to your equipment. It has clips of most exercises so you can see the proper form. You can set your experience level, how often, how long, etc. I'm pretty sure there is a free trial with a few work outs for free on it.

@cruzhjo69 Not sure if this helps but.

I use FitBod as an app. It's like 90$ a year. Still better than a gym membership. Has a lot of variability and it offers AI based workouts that get smarter the more you use it. It's helped me plan out things and build a balanced body.

On my off days I do a few reps of bodyweight exercises. A deck of cards usually gives me my daily workout. Hearts for Pushups, clubs for Squats, spades for pull ups, diamonds for crunches. The number on the card is the number of reps I perform.

Keep it simple.

@cruzhjo69 Oh Yay!

Also it keeps track of your progress on your exercise! You can even see like how intense your bench has progressed.

I've used it for a while now. I look MUCH better than I did after my divorce haha, if that explains how well it's worked out for me.

@cruzhjo69 Not yet haha.

I look better physically. I get legitimate compliments now a days. It's been 8 months.

But I'm not all fixed on inside. Life's not the same anymore. But I am hopeful thingsll get better. Maybe I'll find someone. Maybe I won't. No worries! I am not in any rush.

That being said, I'd recommend the card of idea to 'grease the groove' and keep your nerves sharp.

@cruzhjo69 I'm in a similar boat as you where I've had trouble in the past with consistency. I'm not at my goal shape yet, but am much better off than I was a year ago.

What's tough about an all-in-one app is that:
  • Diet and exercise are both important, and I'm not sure you'll get the best of both in a single app
  • Your exercise routine needs and goals may change over time, and so you may want to develop a habit framework that isn't tied to a single workout program
  • Broader goal setting and tracking is very important, and may not be captured in a specific workout app
My approach has been to set broader goals (run 3 days a week, strength train 3 days a week, 8k steps a day, daily protein target, daily fiber target, daily calorie target) and then track those on a spreadsheet I print out each week. I put the goals as the rows, and days of the week as columns, and I put a check mark in each cell when I complete a particular task on a given day.

This set up is flexible, where I can add or remove goals (rows) as needed. It is also satisfying to check off goals, and so it is motivating because I see the sheet many times a day.

If you're not into pen/paper, there is an app called Habitica (formerly Habit RPG) that attempts to gamify this sort of goal-setting. There are subs for it: /r/habitica and /r/habitrpg. I'm not sure which sub (if any) are active these days, as I haven't used the app in years.

There's also a sub called /r/90daysgoal which is all about goal setting and habit tracking in an active community. I participated there years ago and found it helpful, though I wasn't finding that I fit in with the users there (not intended as a criticism--I just found my challenges/goals were not the same as many other users)