Am I too heavy?

@kutloello I think the only way to know is to try. Maybe try and cut down on some bodyfat with a reputable nutritionist or even an app like the RP app or Layne Norton's Carbon app (whatever its called).

You may find yourself either further fatigued or maybe you are fast as hell. Only way to find out is to try a prolonged cut.

@kutloello Brent Fikowski is 6’2” 220lbs and is one of the top crossfitters. I’m 6’2” as well and about 210 or so. When I complain about my height I look to the top guys like him who say height and weight isn’t a problem.

@kutloello Being lighter/leaner does not inherently equal being faster or more gymnast-y. I would say you prob need to do more 25+ min workouts to work on your engine and spend 30-60min a week doing gymnastics drills. There are lots of programs out there online if you want someone to write it out for you. I liked WODprep's engine builder program.

@kutloello Sounds more like heart than weight. Or maybe movement efficiency. I competed at 5'8" 220 14% body fat and crushed fools on things I shouldn't have. 50 UB pull-ups, 40 UB TTB, 25 UB BMU, fast Box Jumps. I run super slow, but did Fran in 2:27. Had a 30 round Cindy. 18:15 5k row.

Anyway just saying, sop looking at your body and look at you movement and your willingness to go to dark places in your workouts. Effort is the difference maker, and consistency and nutrition. Eat Paleo. No bread cheese milk pasta all that bullshit. Ask the best dude at your gym what they eat. You can look great and still suck.

@bowleddie I know dark places, the pain cave, etc. I’m a desert storm army vet. I can embrace the suck. But I’m redlining workouts. For example, 12 days of Christmas my average heart rate was 175 for almost 40 minutes. On shorter time domains (3-12 minutes) I regularly push 182. My Max heart rate is supposed to be 177.

@kutloello oh word, I'm an OEF vet. How old are you, my heart rate never gets that high. Also, how's your nutrition? CrossFit nutrition protocol is "lean meats, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar."

If i stray from that, and I mean AT ALL I drop off probably 30% in power output.

@bowleddie 43 and my nutrition is probably less shit than most. Lots of room for improvement. Gotta own that I suppose. I strive to hit my protein goals daily, but don’t count calories and eat mostly what I want to fill in the rest of the macros. 50- 60% focus on Whole Foods.

@kutloello I’m 42. So I know where you’re at. 35 was way different. But I would bet if you took 2 weeks and ate paleo, you would at least see how dramatic the difference is.

I eat athletic grains and 6 eggs and bacon every morning. Usually some ground beef for lunch and or dinner. Some nuts and a banana or two for snacks. If I eat grain, sugar, too much cheese or milk, or anything processed I’m trash.

I’d say an immediate 30-40% loss of power out put.

I don’t really count anything. Use progenex exclusively if I’m going to use anything.

If I stay eating right for a month I’m right up there top 5-10% of scores at a pretty famous cf gym.

If I fuck around that quickly changes to top 40%.

It’s like I immediately lose 4th and 5th gear.

If you really want to know, try it. Also I owned two gyms and was an L3 coach, so I’ve helped a lot of people with similar situations….

@kutloello I'm just gonna keep whistling to my workout at 6'1 and 260. Trying to get the number to 230ish but I like food. You're shredded by moat definitions so I'd work on your engine. Is gains lab still a thing?

@kutloello I mean this is always the question, what are your goals? Are you looking to compete? Do you want to get skinnier? Are you looking to get more physique build?

On paper it sounds you have it well thrown at you. But again it depends on what you want?!

Just getting better at Crossfit without the ambition for competing i wouldn’t care so much.

But i would prioritize maybe just get a little bit leaner and just do more cardio. Pickup running like 3x a week and do intervals and 1 long session during the week. Helps allot.

@kutloello Another Clydesdale class athlete here: M 210-225 lbs, 6’2”, 58 YO. 10 year+ casual CrossFitter. 3-4 x a week almost never Rx (unless there’s a masters Rx).

The advice about running here also helped me a ton. There’s so much evidence that some regular zone 2 cardio, like long slow runs, (I run one once a week), really helps your VO2 max. My results reinforce the science. Zone 2 for me is about a 12 min mile pace, where you can still have a conversation with another runner.

In our gym, this would never get programmed because we’re in a city and a 45-60 min slow run or ruck just isn’t practical in an hour class. Also no one would show up, because, running.

Try it and let us know how it goes!

@kutloello the bad news: the more muscles you got on your frame, the more oxygen you need for the same stupid bodyweight rep ...

just having much muscle tissue means nothing. you probably responded well in terms of hypertrophy (what's kind of useless in your case). you have to ask yourself what's your relative strength (e.g. what's your 1rm back squat vs the IPF WR in your weight class? what's your weighted BMU vs the Streetlifting WR?). Only your maximum strength will help you in fast & heavy power workouts (e.g. 1 to 4 min yolo unbroken) but not just the total weight of your muscle tissue.

1) you should do more maximum strength training. I.e. 2-4 rep ranges with clear strength progression. E.g. weighted pull-ups, weighted BMUs, heavy & slow back squats, heavy clean pulls, heavy sandbag over shoulder, etc.

2) do more metcon reset workouts simply because you will be good at it. I.e. one round takes about 4-5 minutes, followed by 3-4 minutes of rest. For example, 3 sets of Fran with 3 minutes rest in between. Or pick any 20 minute benchmark workout, stop after 4 minutes to rest 3 minutes and continue where you were. Over time pick workout setups so that a round last 4:30 minutes instead of 4:00 minutes; that's your progression

3) do more 15-25 minute bodyweight pacing workouts because you suck at it for a reason. prefer fullbody movements, e.g. burpees with two-feet take-off and jumps (no slow stand up), airsquats, etc.

@kutloello My stance is if you finish too soon, your weight choice is too light.

If your not finishing, maybe too heavy.
Both scenarios are preference based on what you want to get out of the workout.

I recently just started increasing weight for my workouts. Subsequently not finishing. But I want to get stronger. When I start finishing on a regular basis, I'll increase again.
You could lower to go faster, maybe?

I also do cal machines and jump rope outside of the WOD to increase my cardio.

@kutloello The question is: what do you want for yourself?

Do you want the shortsightedness (but also the rush) of the leaderboard

Or do you want longevity and a better life?

Zoom and figure out why you’re doing this. If you’re at the class and you’re consistent with your numbers, you’re ALREADY winning. And you’re winning at life, not just CrossFit!

@kutloello CrossFit suits short people and light people generally. Bigger boys tend to suit very specific heavy wods. Depends what you want to be, large and muscular or medium build, ripped and win a few wods.

@kutloello The only way to get better at conditioning workouts is to do more conditioning workouts. If you really wanted, take out of one of your CF days and add in an easy 60 minute run to your regimen Also, might take a look at your breathing during WODs to make sure you’re being efficient.