back exercises that exclude traps?

arlette30

I never intentionally target my traps because it’s just not my goal physique. I’m talking specifically about the upper traps, that you can see from the front. These are the only muscles I don’t want to get too big (along w/ obliques) as it looks very masculine (not a problem but not what I want)

I have noticed growth regardless. My typical back day consists of pull ups, lat pull downs and rows (usually db rows or seated rows). Obviously some of these are going to activate the upper traps but I didn’t expect them to get noticeably bigger this soon (have only trained consistently for the past 6-7 months). What do I need to consider switching out in my routine?

@buckeye_momof4 Dude, what is wrong with you ? Op literally tell you she don't want her trap to get bigger because they already have and more than she expected and you're like "no you're wrong, your trap that I never saw are not big enough". Op is not looking to compete, it's not that unlikely that her trap are a strong point and got bigger than she want

@raybo Nothings wrong with me.

OP needs to realize that she is definitely suffering from body dysmorphia, and it would be best to realize that and not sacrifice lifts like rowing over nothing

@buckeye_momof4 Oh wow one specific study shows results completely out of proportion of others study you can find, that must be the truth and half the people working out totally have a very serious medical conditions

@buckeye_momof4 I literally just want to know back exercises that use similar muscle groups to rows but don’t activate upper traps. Regardless of whether it’s in my head (which it isn’t) it’s not difficult to offer suggestions

You seem pretty adamant that it’s hard to grow traps, so maybe worry about your own

@arlette30 I find it so frustrating that you’re being downvoted. Women grow muscle too, at a slower rate than men sure but traps are also muscle so they can also grow if you’re using them in weightlifting. That person you’re talking to is so odd. I have no good advice but wanted to chime in that I think the downvotes are unfair!

@arlette30 focus more on the vertical pulls. see if you can use goodmornings for some of your hip hinging volume. see if you can do more cable laterals starting around hip height or at least not jerking your lateral raises as much.

@arlette30 DB pullovers are a nice lat exercise with minimal trap involvement.

It is possible that you are getting a lot of trap stimulus from shoulder exercises or hinges btw.

@arlette30 You can try to do more isolated movements instead of compounds. TBH for overall back growth the compounds are without a doubt the best option. However, you also want to create a routine that works for you, so here are some suggested alternatives:

For your horizontal rowing movement, you can try single-arm machine row, cause you can really just isolate the back and actively depress your scapula to disengage the trap. Or you can continue to do dumbell rows, but go lighter and try and isolate the back while actively disengaging the traps.

With your vertical pulling movements, I find it hard to see how you can do that movement without engaging your upper traps as a supporting muscle. However, you can try single-arm lat pulldowns. You usually don't have to go to heavy and you really just focus on a lat contraction with these. I like to add these at the end of my workout and its great to focus on one muscle and just burn it out.

On a side note, considering you've been going to the gym for 7 months, you're starting to leave the beginner phase, and also your window for newbie gains. That being said, all the trap growth you've seen was probably just newbie gains, and honestly I wouldn't expect them to change much moving forward unless you do heavy compounds that target them (deadlift, shrugs, heavy barbell rows).

Back