Fit/active women of Reddit, what’s your weekly exercise routine like?

@acco340 I follow my gym’s programming and go 6 days a week, 50 minute session per day. Over the six days, there’s usually two pure strength days, two pure cardio days (hiit and endurance) and two mixed days. Gives me a good variety and not a massive time commitment. Warm ups and cool downs are part of the programming, so I never miss a stretch. As our trainer says “the most important part of the workout”.

@acco340 I restarted couch to 5k in January after taking a few months off of everything due to injuries. So now 3x per week I walk/jog about 30 minutes, and try to do either weight lifting or climbing for my other 2 workouts per week. I also have a dog that I walk throughout the day (although she hates being cold and wet, so more short walks in the winter) and I try to go for at least one or two 3 mile walks per week. I also do about 20 minutes of yoga every day because if I don’t a lot of my injuries will flare up (tendonitis, nerve impingements) and it helps me unwind before bed.

At various points I have focused on resistance training or running and let the other slide, but I’m content doing both in moderation right now. 5x a week for dedicated workouts is good for me, and if something happens where I don’t feel up to 5 then I just try to get in a 2-3 mile walk.

@acco340 What we do doesn't matter(*) as much as what your concerns are with your current routine. Are your knees bothering you, and if so, what does your lifting routine actually look like? What program are you following?

Warmups and stretching aren't necessary for everyone; add them in if they would benefit you, but don't sweat them if they don't serve a specific purpose for you.

I'd add in some upper body work. I know it's not your focus so feel free to do less, but I wouldn't recommend doing zero.

(*) but if you must know, I lift heavy 4-5 days a week (full body no split), lots of LISS cardio, and miscellaneous accessories. Took a while to work up to doing this much.

@acco340 Hi! I just started working out (again)! Get it! I know it’s not easy!

I just want to throw a quick comment saying do some research on shoes. If you’re gonna lift, it pays to have lifting shoes. Not everyone is a fan, but I wear barefoot shoes everyday, but as soon as I do lifting I change into specific lifting shoes. Helps elevate your heal, taking stress off of your ankles and in turn your knees.

Anyway, food for thought!

Monday to Thursday I do classes of body pump, Zumba, Pilates, core, and Strong from 2-3 hours. Fridays I focus on yoga. Saturday and Sundays it depends, but I try to go on a long hike of 4 miles or more. But if that’s not an option I do my back and deep stretching Saturday’s.

@acco340 Rest days are important!! Everyone I know is screaming it from the rooftops right now, because the new years resolution people may not think about rest days as much as they should.

That said, I'm trying the slow and steady approach. I lift weights 2 days a week for 1 hr each, and do not intentionally exercise beyond that. I may or may not do 15 minutes of rowing once a week. I probably could exercise more, but this is what fits into my life.

@ashleyb12104 PREACH! It has only taken me ~10 years, several injuries and a bit of yo-yo-ing weight and fitness to truly realise this 🙈😂 our PT was asking us how much we could workout through the week, so he could program effectively. My answer right now is 30 minutes (absolute max 40 min) each day, plus yoga. Is it the ideal? No. Is it more effective than him programming 4x 60-90 minute workouts a week (his original plan) and me saying “well I don’t have time for that today” 3x a week? HELLLLL yes! And I am loving this new routine now 😊 note: it includes 1-2 rest days, where I just do gentle yoga!

@livesforever exercising everyday, even for 30 min, sounds wonderful to me! I currently do 1 hr lifting 2x week, and bonus rollerblading if I want, and I'm still seeing great results (I eat pretty well). I used to go so hard, and I was always so tired, and would feel SO guilty if I skipped a day or class. Quarantine really helped me slow down a bit and refocus!

@acco340 Right now, over the winter, I plan my weeks like this:

Climbing 2-3days/week.
Gym 3-4days/week. (Stronger by the Day programming) I bike or walk to work every day (only 2k away), so that’s sort of like my bare minimum movement. I bike on an indoor trainer occasionally (via zwift).

I try not to climb back-to-back days very often, but ill climb and gym on the same day on occasion (not ideal, gym in the am, climb in the pm). The rest of the time I’m sitting around at home or sitting at my desk job.

This feels like a lot sometimes but I’ve worked up to this over time, and I pay close attention to my energy levels and am happy to take a day off if I’m not feeling great or feeling a little overworked. Or I’ll take a day off from the gym to feel fresh for an upcoming climb, for example.

I don’t worry about my lower body much but I do pay close attention to my upper body. I don’t go all out all the time, but try to be consistent and work “pretty hard” most the time. I sleep a lot and I try to eat a lot.

@acco340 Stretch every time, before every thing! Dynamic before, static after. I say this as someone who tore a muscle sitting down because I didn’t stretch before/after a run.

My routine: weights 3-5x/week with 10-15 minutes of cardio after. Usually 50-70 minutes of a workout each time.

During the warmer months, I run 2-4x/week, usually three miles.

I never work out on weekends, and my workouts are usually in the early morning or early afternoon!

@acco340 I’ve been using Soflete programming which is generally quite high intensity. Currently I’m doing their program Swede which is generally hypertrophy focused but has a stamina/cardio component to each training day. I spend 60-90 minutes in the gym doing this program 5 days a week, and have 2 active recovery days where I spend 60 mins doing an outdoor activity.. generally swimming or trail running for me.

I work in an office and it’s very sedentary work, so I find that doing a high intensity workout each day with no specific “rest day” is a nice compliment to that. I like feeling like I’ve been physically active each day and don’t really enjoy days off where I don’t do anything. Everyone is different though!

@acco340 I lift heavy 4 times per week, about 60-70 minutes per session. I do 8 sets of a compound lift and then one Push, one Pull, and one Single Leg or Core exercise at a minimum, though I do additional exercises at home if I'm feeling froggy. I stretch every session and usually do the Limber 11 with some additional stretches to target areas I know can be problematic for me (quads and hamstrings/glutes). I've found that I start to get minor knee irritation from having overly tight quads, so I'm careful to stretch them every day even if I'm not doing a lower body workout. I'm also careful not to divebomb my squats.

@acco340 October to April:
  • 40km (25 miles) running per week. Usually spread across four or five runs.
  • The other 2/3 days per week, I'll do an hour of walking or like indoor cycling
  • 2 or 3 times/week I do a 10 minute core and upper body strength routine
  • I try to stretch my hips and groin here and there throughout the day
In the summer months, I cycle outdoors a couple times per week: a 1-2 hour ride and a 2-3 hour ride. I usually drop my running down to 30km/week during these months. Everything else stays the same.

@acco340 I follow Stronger by the Day programming. I do 4 days of lifting, usually MTTF. My current goal is 2 cardio sessions and a daily walk. Walks usually happen unless the weather is nasty. Cardio is either a spin bike ride (I use the peloton app at home) or a 2-3 mile jog. I feel like I sleep and eat pretty well and this amount still knocks me down sometimes, like this week which is the highest volume before a deload. Tomorrow is usually day 4 of the program but I feel like trash today so I’ll probably rest tomorrow and do it on Saturday.

Back