[FLUFF] ‘Wonder Woman’ recruited actual athletes, fighters as powerful Amazonians

@axlelol Really enjoyed this flick. Ideal protagonist, solid supporting characters, and some decent stakes. Ares wasn't an amazing villain by my standards but hell he gets a pass because I'm a Greek mythology geek. They did a nice swerve with a clue or two towards his real identity. DC got it right with Wonder Woman.

@axlelol God-damn some of you on this thread are petty bitches.

The movie slayed. The cast slayed. The Amazons were creatures of beauty and strength. Diana is half God. The casting was damn near perfect. It showed women as warriors, kicking ass, taking names and looking fabulous while doing so. It showed women as rulers, basking in their power. I loved it and Gal Gadot almost turned me gay. Fact.

I didn't like it, but not because Gal Gadot, I thought she was powerful, beautiful, and bad-ass af. I just thought it was a bland flick. Plus, I'm a wonder woman fan and I just can't see her mother protecting her like that. Diana would've been trained from birth. I liked the way they tackled the feminism aspect, but the rest of the film was just predictable and boring.

I haven't seen it yet, but thank you. I don't understand how half of the posts in this sub are about body acceptance, and then everyone is ragging on Gal Gadot for not being a specific way. Especially when WW is not just a normal person! Honestly the important part should be that strong women are being shown, period, regardless of "aesthetic" - this sets a huge precedent for these types of movies in the future! We should be celebrating, not complaining.

I agree with you, we shouldn't be judging. However when Thor, Captain America and other superheroes have to look big and strong (look at the way Christian Bale drops and gains weight for his roles), I think people get frustrated that women constantly have to be slim. Yes, there are stronger looking women being represented, but she was the lead and I think the girls with muscle hype on Instagram has given people different expectations from what Hollywood are still pushing.

I do think there's a different standard for men. But there are also elements of the stories at play. With Captain America, he was a scrawny guy who was given a serum that would change his body. It wouldn't make sense for him to be tiny. It also is a way of clearly showing the transformation of the character. Batman is just an ordinary billionaire. He has to build up his body in order to do what he does. Yes he has tech and all that, but he doesn't have the benefit of "super powers." Again, wouldn't make sense for him to be smaller or average sized (someone else also mentioned the Batman comparison). Thor, I mean, he's a god. Which, I know, is part of the argument for why WW isn't huge, but at the same time, it's a comic book character. The interesting thing I think though with Thor, is that yeah he's completely built, but ultimately without the supernatural qualities of his character, he's fairly weak in spite of his physicality (at least in the first movie). I think it's an interesting comparison, because Diana is strong regardless, because she's a strong character/is strong of character.

I'm not saying that there should be a double standard, but I do think there's a level of context due to the source material that should be considered.

@dawn16 You don't get it, body acceptance only applies if you are over a certain weight. Slimmer ladies don't need that, even when they gained 17 lbs for the movie. Why couldn't she just take steroids and look like Hugh Jackman in the latest instalments of Wolverine to satisfy the critical crowd over here. (/s in case not obvious)

@axlelol That movie was such an inspiration to me!! I really need a wonder woman tank to rock at the gym!! Coincidentally, I do have some blue workout shorts with white stars on the way. I NEED a WW tank for those shorts!

@axlelol Not to mess with the mojo but a funny thing I noticed on one of the horseback battle scenes, it only happens for a quick second but it's clearly a guy in a wig, his 5 o clock shadow gives him away.

@axlelol Really great to see athletes, but I was wondering why the cast isn't racially diverse? I'm not really familiar with the Amazonian aesthetic.

Edit #2. I am going to assume there are a bunch of movie promotors/bots that are not liking us talking about race in relation to this particular movie. I don't think the community on this sub would be that petty.

@cj Yeah, that's what I saw when I looked up the wiki article about it since I know nothing about the plot. I googled the cast and only white actors/actresses showed up so I guess I mistakenly assumed there were only white people in the movie.

Back