[FLUFF] ‘Wonder Woman’ recruited actual athletes, fighters as powerful Amazonians

@josephjnapoleon The OP chose not to feature a diverse group of women. WOC (like Ann Wolfe) and older women (like Robin Wright) were not featured in her post.

You aren't wrong in your observation of this post and I don't know why people are jumping on your case about it.

@josephjnapoleon Ehhh, it definitely not as rampant on here as some of the other subs but I don't think it's uncommon either. Looks like the OP has updated the original post to include some other photos.

@pastorjdh And one of the fighters young Diana sees is Ann Wolfe; who totally kicks some butt in training and then you get the reaction shot of little Diana in awe and then mirroring her moves.

@josephjnapoleon It's really just a quick moment in the very beginning, but do what you think is best! I got what I wanted out of the movie (night out with family and some ~fitspiration) Your $15 for a movie ticket can be spent elsewhere.

@bellavoce7 Thanks for the info. I did want to see it after hearing rave reviews and wanting to support a female director. I'm trying to allocate my funds toward more diverse movies rather than the typical nonsense that has a token minority actor (have seen too many mediocre movies). But fitspiration seems like an enticing reason to go.

Edit: maybe I was unclear but I wasn't referring to this movie as the "typical movie". I meant this in a general sense.

@josephjnapoleon Disclaimer: am white.

The black woman in question was Diana's tutor/teacher, not nanny. Diana was ditching school to try to attend combat lessons. The second/third best fighter among the Amazons (after adult Diana and her aunt who is the general) is played by Anne Wolfe, a black female boxer. The main group who Diana works with includes a Native American and a Sikh man. The Sikh man actually has a line of "I didn't want to be a soldier, I wanted to be an actor but I was born the wrong color." There generally seemed to be a decent amount of diversity considering it's a movie about a woman whose origins lie in Greek mythology teaming up with an American working for the British against the Germans in Belgium. It's a good movie where women and minorities are people.

@nathalie_hyacint I have not. I looked at the pictures here and did a brief IMDB cast search.

Edit: I'm trying to say that I have only based my observation on the pictures here and a quick internet search. Not that I'm trying to make an accusation based off no evidence.

@josephjnapoleon Gal Gadot is Israeli, the German main characters are obviously played by people who look like Germans, the British by British, the other main group contains a Native American, Scottish, Turkish (or something in the Mediterranian Middle East, I don't think they said).

Also in pretty much every group shot they make it a point to have diversity in the group. In shots of British soldiers there almost always a group of Sikh or Black British soldiers.

The only times where it's purely white people are when they're in Germany.

@earthfae I would also like to add that the man who plays the chief had a problem with his character and being called chief. He talked to the director and she allowed him/ wrote in him explaining why in the movie while talking to Wonder Woman. The director also allowed him to bring in his native language and ideologies which he said was very important to him. I believe his name is Eugene Brave Rock. I know it doesn't really pertain to the discussion happening in here, but I believe that the director genuinely tried her best.

@josephjnapoleon The main cast (WW and her entourage for lack of a better term) had diversity.

And the group shots with extras, the extras had diversity. There was diversity everywhere in the movie.

@earthfae That's fine, I just was looking to see if there was more than one minority with actual speaking parts and significant roles. I've seen too many movies with a token black character or having bunch of brown people as extras and calling it diversity.

Back