High protein day on a deficit - how can I determine it’s healthy?

ericameeran

Ok so here it goes:

200 lbs 35 year old male 5’11 and I think 18% bodyfat.

2057 calories, 195g P, 100g F, 135g C

Meal one: whole bottle of just eggs along with home made seitan that I made into biscuits.

Snack 1: 12 whole strawberries

Snack 2: 56 almonds

Snack 3: 12 whole strawberries

Meal two: 1 block steamed tofu, 25 Brussels sprouts, 10 grape tomatoes

My plan is to rotate out snacks depending upon my mood. Also rotating out brussel sprouts with broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc.

Thoughts?

For a workout, I do PPL twice a week and HIIT (jump rope) 4 times a week for 15 minutes a pop.

@xeoneex OP's protein works out to:
  • Bodyweight 200 lb * 1kg/2.2lb = 90.1 kg
  • 195g / 90.1kg = 2 g/kg
with a range of 1.6g/kg - 1.8g/kg they could get away with
  • 90.1kg*1.6g/kg = 144g
  • or
  • 90.1kg*1.8g/kg = 162g
195g is not an unreasonable amount of protein, but 145g is the point at which additional protein is not beneficial according to most studies, with 162g being the point of a double confidence interval.

@sybok Doesn't the 1.6g/kg rule apply to lean body mass, rather than total body mass? Idk how one could work that out without some kind of test/scan, but am I right in saying that?

@sweetone Yes it does I believe (I might have to look back at the studies and see what metrics they used). If someone is massively overweight, then they could go to 0.6. However, since there is no real harm in going over, then if someone is "lean-ish" then it's fine.

To calculate lean mass, calculate body fat percentage (calipers are easy and cheap), subtract that from 100 and multiply by bodyweight to get fat free mass.

Back