How do you keep energised at work without surgery snacks when dieting?

@calvinabume I wouldn’t go that far to call it an addiction, but it has definitely become a crutch when I am stressed/busy because it gives me more energy to work quicker/better.

@divinity3 Sugar is one of the most addictive substances on the planet it hits the same way hard drugs do and your craving it. Believe whatever you want to believe but if you slowly cut it out. Your body will adapt you will be more alert have more energy without it. It's not gonna be fun and you will most likely fail a.few times trying to do it. But keep trying you don't need that shit. Eat healthy and your body and brain will reward you. It ain't the answer you were looking for but it's the answer.

@calvinabume Why do people like you insist on talking about addiction when you know shit all about the topic? No, sugar is not a chemically addictive substance. There is no tolerance developed to it, no withdrawal syndrome, and no dependence.

Again, please stop with this stupidity.

@calvinabume Sugar is just not one of the most addictive substances on the planet. That’s total bullshit. I’ve had plenty of sugar in my life and am also getting over a nicotine addiction. Only one of those things do I crave every minute of every day.

@derekthegreatii The thing is sugar cravings go away. Smoking doesn't.

To say that simple carbohydrates are as addictive as nicotine is misunderstanding of the chemical processes that go into addiction. It's absurd

@olirain Its a true to life anecdote and nothing more. I smoked for 18 years. I can quit smoking because it makes me feel like shit and smell like shit.

Sugar tastes good and is in almost everything we consume without actively looking at ingredients so it can be hard to avoid. Thats all I'm saying.

I can stop sugar too, in fact I started replacing sugar in my coffee with monkfruit over a year ago and havent looked back. I'll notice a two day craving of sugar if I have something like a candy bar or soda at lunch. For me nicotine was mostly a head thing. I Just put it out of my mind completely and have been able to quit for that reason.

lol downvoted for sharing my personal experience. I stated no facts nor refuted the statement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@calvinabume Trust me it isn't an issue. I have been eating healthier for 2+ months. I have been eating around 1,500 calories a day and alternating days of 5k runs and strength training at the gym.

I can exist fine with no suger. The issue is... when work ramps up and I need to do lots of complicated work. The energy boost from surgery snacks helps me get through it. I am more alert, concentrate better, retain and interpret complex information better, write better quality work, more efficient, etc.

That is fine if it is the odd day, but because of my work I can have relatively quiet periods and weeks/month of more intense complicated work.

I have got through this week by falling on bad habits, which is why I wanted to check about alternatives.

@divinity3 Your brain runs on carbohydrates. Google what fuels your brain. It makes sense if you give yourself simple sugars it helps. If you eat complex carbs and healthier options it should fuel your brain longer and without the crash.

@divinity3 How big are you? A stressful job, running, and strength training on 1,500 calories is your problem. You’re not giving yourself enough energy to function well. Sugar isn’t your problem.

@divinity3 I do a few things, I have a walking pad under my desk and move a lot. Prior to a standing desk, I had these little bike peddle things to move while sitting. I am more productive while moving but that might be the ADHD.

I have access to some healthy snacks if needed but generally when I'm super snacky, I either haven't had enough water or enough protein. (Or enough sleep. Man sleep can mess up a day.)

I hope you find something that works for you. For me, I first have to believe something else will work. Let go of the "I have to have surgery snacks" and just know you haven't found your alternative yet.

Good luck!

@divinity3 You are 'sugar adapted', meaning your body is sending you cues that it needs sugar for energy. Reducing sugar overall (less than 60g a day) in your diet is the best way to readjust. It will take time. But if you can get healthy fats and proteins in early in the day, you will have more sustained energy.

I eat very little at work. I have a low/no sugar protein bar in the morning. Lunch is usually chicken and veggies. I'm never famished when I get home, just ready for a meal.

@anthonyg72 I think the problem is that I can do that and I did it for 2+ months... but I am just no where near as productive. When I have to do something more complicated (i.e. write a report, develop a new strategy, play a workshop, etc.) usually during a busy period - I just struggle (mind foggier, a bit sluggish, not as productive).

@divinity3 Take a look at the World Health Organization’s recommendations for sugar intake. You are likely over. My guess is that you are insulin resistant if those are your symptoms.

@divinity3 When we were in the office I always took my own snacks in, mostly celery sticks or a piece of fruit. I'd also keep a box of protein bars in a desk drawer, couple in the car as well in case I needed a quick snack that would fill me up. After breakfast I'd make a protein shake with a mix of fruit and veggies(normally spinach and broccoli with some strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)and drink it in the car on the way to work and that always kept me mostly full and energized until around lunch time.

Sounds like you might need more sleep or a caffeine boost in the afternoon. I work from home now, but if I start feeling sluggish I'll get up and walk around a bit, or bang out some pushups, and if all else fails just drink a cup of black coffee or green tea.

@divinity3 You don't need the sugar.

You do need to be sustained. Protein, fats etc...nuts are a good snack but can be fattening if you eat too much.

Caffeine also helps.

The other thing that helps tremendously is activity. Try not to sit all day long. Keep your blood flowing. Go for a walk, or stand at your desk.