how do you manage stress in ways that aren’t exercise??

@porcelainrose Yin yoga. Relaxing, body-oriented, but not a workout. If you're using to rolling out a mat anyway it might be a good alternative for you. But if it's too much like a workout in that it causes you stress, then that's not a good solution. Most of the time I watch TV to help with stress, especially a favorite show where the characters almost feel like your friends and have some element of humor. For me that's shows like the Gilmore Girls and Parks and Rec, maybe 30 Rock.

@porcelainrose Complicated baking projects, cross stitch, learning something new (languages, free online classes, etc.) ! :) I had surgery over quarantine and had to take a bunch of time off and realized if I kept my hands busy with cross stitch and my brain occupied with tv/podcasts, time would pass quickly enough lol. Used a lot of that time for self reflection too and got myself on a new career path! It might feel like you're stuck, but sometimes forced rest is truly the best gift

@porcelainrose I like stretching slowly or going for long walks (exercise adjacent so it might help you transition out of the full exercise routine), listening to podcasts while cooking, crocheting, collaging, tarot, and journaling. If you're a morning workout person I really recommend journaling in the morning. It's such a nice way to start the day.

I also don't think you need to cold turkey stop exercising, but maybe change/cut back on your routine (with doctor approval ofc)

@porcelainrose One the best ways to remove stress and find peace is to nature bathe or forrest bathe. This literally means go to nature and be in the fresh air, among the trees. Let awe of the beauty seep into you. My kids who have ADHD and sensory issues instantly chill out about 5 minutes into a walk in the woods. You dont even need to walk or run or move, you can find a quiet spot near some running water if possible and just bathe in the good vibes. It works!

@porcelainrose I’ll add on - Podcasts, books and video games. I find the latter of the two keep my hands occupied so I don’t reach out for an alcoholic beverage.

Also walks outside even in the rain - and just take the time to enjoy an audiobook while walking outside.

@porcelainrose Stuff you can pretty easily try for free (I've made a few app purchases after trying free level stuff, but see also: youtube!) - Guided meditation, EFT/tapping, yoga nidra, cold therapy (cold shower following your regular shower, start with 30 seconds and work your way up to a few minutes). Leisurely walks as moving mediation might serve you well if you don't do well cooped up in the house. Also, morning pages - it's more of a thinking exercise than a writing exercise.

Harder stuff: downshifting to a less stressful job, making some life changes to reduce other major stressors (shorter commute?), therapy

@moelarrycurly thank your for your reply!! i recently switched from a regular CBT therapist to someone specializing in gestalt and it’s been completely eye-opening so far, she recently suggested EFT but i just haven’t made the time to take that suggestion seriously yet. i’ll look more into it :) thanks again for all of this!!

@porcelainrose A naturopath dr recommended it to me years ago and just briefly explained it to me, which wasn't much to work with and I just never bothered. My current dr suggested the tapping solution app, which I found very easy to use to the point that I paid for a year of it (they have a good amount of free content though).

@supermom76 Absolutely and I’m so glad to share! I have recommended it to nearly everyone in my life lol they really do a great job of breaking down stress in a way that didn’t click before!

@marcpgangmei thank you so much!! i tend to really really benefit from books/podcasts like this—always easier for me to really “believe” and internalize these messages when they come from such wonderful, expert minds :)

@porcelainrose Breath work, yoga, and a dedicated warm bath with netflix + epsom salts help keep me calm. Magnesium supplements helped a lot with my general feelings of stress/anxiety but YMMV and you may want to ask your Dr on that one.

@messengerofgod39 Yes, it's cheesy, but I love a good bath! Bath salts or bubble bath, maybe a face mask or a special different shampoo. The options are endless. I like to light candles and get a drink- not always alcoholic, sometimes hot tea, or a lacroix with fresh fruit. Sometimes I'll listen to music or a podcast, sometimes I'll put my laptop on the counter and watch something relaxing on netflix. After 30-45 minutes I feel so nice and relaxed.

@porcelainrose Might get downvoted but I smoke weed, masturbate, watch/handle my gecko, paint my nails and clean my house . I love cleaning when I’m high. Very therapeutic. Painting my nails is relaxing too because I have to be hyper focused when I’m painting my nails and then forced to not move for an hour (I watch TV while I wait for polish to dry). I
am a very antsy, always on the go kind of person so smoking weed helps me stay put or just slows down my brain for a bit. Been smoking weed since I was 15 and I owe my success in life to it tbh..

@skar_for_christ Did a search on this thread just to see if anyone suggested weed lol. My doctors aren't mad about it, and it's fun to pair with my other hobbies like reading books, watching tv, or petting my dog. Once I figured out that I'm more into indica or hybrids over sativas, it was a real game changer.

@skar_for_christ lmao i completely agree, though—i have a medical card and i get very addictive very fast with all kinds of substances, so i have to be very mindful about my intake, but it is a complete!!! life saver when i’m having an especially panicky day. thanks for your reply :)

@porcelainrose I like knitting or other kinds of crafting, sometimes I'll bake if I'm in the mood. Journaling is also really helpful for me when I'm particularly stressed and need to get my feelings out.

This podcast episode (and a lot of Emily Nagoski's other work) really helped me understand and manage my stress better, it might be helpful to you too. It goes into the science behind stress and they also talk about lots of different methods for stress management.

https://brenebrown.com/podcast/bren...burnout-and-how-to-complete-the-stress-cycle/

@sosoxxomar I knit as well, it’s a combo pack of something for me (I usually knit for myself and rarely on deadlines) as well as something to keep my hands busy while I’m “still”. It’s very zen, repetitive, and tactile, but having something with tangible results is also encouraging and fulfilling (and warm 😉) There’s actually research out there about knitting/crafting as a stress-relief method. I think it probably plays into the “grounding” method Someone mentioned above - but it’s obviously not quite the same.