How do you pump yourself up to go hard?

@allthingsarebecomenew Unpopular opinion, from a fitness instructor: don't pump yourself up to go hard. Pump yourself up to go at all. Walk through the door. Promise yourself 10 minutes. That's it, that's all.

Going hard will come during the workout. As it becomes more a part of your routine, as you develop more movement integrity and your fitness level increases, you'll naturally go harder.

Half my workouts I go telling myself I can quit after 10 minutes.

99% of those I end up having a great workout.

@mmbee0112 I used to do the same thing. Granted I wasn’t lifting but I would walk on the treadmill before doing some core exercises and I would keep telling myself “10 more minutes I got this.” Then I’d go “I can do another 10” until I had gone an hour longer

@mmbee0112 Agreeing with all of this

Not to mention that when I hear "go hard", my brain translates that to "spoken like a 20yo who's never had an overuse injury." Don't go hard, go consistent and once you've got that down go smart. Hard will come.

@randomuser1 I agree. I used to go to the gym first thing and work out fasted. I’d have no energy! Now I make sure to eat some carbs/greens/protein and I have much more power to my lifts.

@ellenego So this is my problem. I only have a little time before the gym in the am so I don’t have time for like a full, complete breakfast with time to digest before workout. So at most I get like half a bagel and call it good, but I know it’s probably not enough. Working out in the morning poses unique challenges

@allthingsarebecomenew Somewhat opposite, but I find I can't go as hard if I've eaten. I need to roll out pretty quickly after water otherwise I get sluggish. (4:30 am wake and 5:00am gym).

But, to manage this I try to have a large early evening supper. Not evidance based, but you might see how a light workout fasted is. (Don't start hard, you might need to get used to faster first)

@allthingsarebecomenew Good music, set goals, and a good gym partner/coach. I set a goal that I WILL be able to squat xyz amount of weight by a certain date and I stick to it hard, I sign up for different races/competitions knowing I’ll have to train to succeed. I got a partner in the gym that encourages me to move up in weights. And honestly I just try whatever weight I can. I remove any shame of not being able to complete or even do a rep of a certain weight but I can at least say I tried.

Back