How do you pump yourself up to go hard?

@allthingsarebecomenew Having a program with clear targets to meet/beat kinda negates the need for me to really feel THAT motivated. If I know I am supposed to lift a particular weight for a particular number of sets and reps, I trust the professionals who wrote the program and just do the work.

imo this is part of why folks so often fail to make progress when just winging it.

@nathan2018 See I find the amount of weight to be the hardest thing. Like yes my program says to do squats but it obviously doesn’t tell me how much weight because it varies for everyone. So I’ll just squat like 80 lbs and be done, even though I CAN go heavier. I never know which lifts to do heavy and which to do lighter (probably a program fault).

The other issue is the whole “percentage of one rep max” used to calculate how much weight should be on the bar, used in some programs. I don’t know my ORM because 1. I don’t have a spotter to help me find it and 2. I’m worried I’ll injure myself trying to find it.

How do you know how much to lift each day?

@allthingsarebecomenew You need a better program. The GZCLP suggestion is a good one. If you need something suuuper straightforward, what I did during my horrible one year of morning workouts is strong lifts 5x5. The app is super easy to use and even calculates deload for you.

Seconding calculating 1RM. And you don’t have to get it exactly right. Even a guess is probably better than continuing to squat far less than you think you can. And you can always recalculate if you feel like it was way off.

@allthingsarebecomenew Yeah a program that doesn’t give you a clear guide on weight is probably not good.

For me, I am currently running vanilla GZCL. Weights are based off of percentages of a training max, here defined as approximately a 2-3 RM. I haven’t done proper max testing in awhile but have a rough idea of where my maxes are from my last program, which used an adaptive training max (defined differently than GZCL defines it l, and probably a decent estimate of my 1RM). On week 4 of this GZCL cycle I will have AMRAP sets with my training max, and based off of my performance there I will adjust the training max for my next four week cycle. If I feel like I may take a few days off and do some true max testing, but that’s not strictly necessary - if I perform well on my AMRAP sets on week 4 I’ll increase my training max and all of the weights will go up for the next cycle, so I know I am progressing.

If you are a beginner lifter, a linear progression program where you add a fixed amount of weight every week is probably the way to go. You do this until it stops working, then move on to a late novice/early intermediate program. The linear progression version of GZCL (GZCLP) is a great program that works like this. For this you’ll start with a weight you know you can do for the prescribed reps, and then add 5-10 lbs every week until you can’t compete the reps.

Testing 1RMs is not inherently dangerous if you have a rack with safeties. Just make sure you know how to set them and use them properly. That said, you can get a reasonably accurate estimate based on your 2-5RM. It is fine to use technical failure or 9 RPE instead of true muscular failure here.

@allthingsarebecomenew It’s NOT about motivation what you need is an inspiration, there is a difference. Anyone can plan but fail to do but someone with motivation no one can stop. There are days I don’t have the desire to go but after I went in NEVER regret it. I suggest you plan for a week and say if I do as I say I buy me blank (whatever) or I get to go out ok Friday night just something to reward yourself BUT if you don’t allow yourself not to get what you wanted or not relaxing like you said. Make that your motivation since that’s you fave thing. I’ll have a nice night on Friday if I go to the gym mon to Thur. Hope that helps :)

@allthingsarebecomenew Exercise is a life-long habit. Half-assing it is a lot better than nothing! There are times when we won't have the time or energy to go hard and that is okay!

If you can't make your schedule work, maybe some external structure will help like doing fun classes.

But really if you need to half-ass it for six months til your schedule changes etc ... that is fine!

Back