How I went from 0 to 40 seconds Handstand Hold in 12 Months

@scottz66 One cue I find very useful is don't allow your scapula to collapse when your shifting weight to your shoulders :) I skipped the press to handstand negative cos i find it too hard...

@east81 As someone who just started practicing handstands regularly about a week ago, this was awesome and inspiring!

Just gotta keep at it, thanks!

@east81 Very good work bro! Your consistency beat your "not so smart" programming at the end of the day.

Also 100% agree with your divide and conquer approach, but I would divide it further into:

- bodyline: bodyline floor drills, chest to wall, etc

- balance: frogstand, toe pulls, etc

- entries: kick up drills

This division is more from a skill point of view. From a physical point of view, would be:

- strength

- mobility

- control

@east81 I found it very helpful to re-orient myself and do handstands with my back to the wall. I only switched to this after I was able to consistently hold 3x60seconds of full handstand. This simple rotation meant I was much more able to practice kicking into handstand, and I just found it easier to move my feet away from the wall this way than when facing it. You mention needing to spend time upside down. Between months of handstand work, and moving to face away from the wall, I finally noticed a swithc in the way I hold myself. I can finally correct my balance and often come back into my handstand rather than falling out as I used to.

I'm seven months in and just this week, for the first time, I was able to kick into handstand and stay, tho only for five seconds. I'm also pushing past 20seconds on my 100% freestanding handstand now.

Thanks for the tips, OP. I train a slow descent on my last five seconds of each hold, but you've inspired me to really start pushing into handstand, and to more fully embrace handstand push-ups.

@lyteside Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you find the tips useful. Keep training and I can't wait to see you do your first press to handstand :)

@east81 Do you mind elaborating on a frog pose? I haven't heard of this before but it looks like it was the very first step in your training.

@dawn16 I realised I had enough shoulder strength but not enough wrist mobility when I found out I can do almost 1 minute of handstand hold against wall (back to wall) but can't resist the tendency to fall forward when I did handstand kick ups. I did frog pose to test my hypothesis and found it to be true cos I can't balance a frog pose for more than 5 seconds. I did a lot of frog pose from that day onward so I could build range of motion in my wrists with the benefit of keeping my centre of gravity low.

@east81 By frog pose, do you mean something like this? Googling gives me a bunch of results.

Really thankful for you sharing this btw. I was a little frustrated with my handstand progress the past couple of weeks, being a month into learning. I'm a little relieved knowing that your progress so far seems to be in-line with mine.

@havert Yes! Precisely! And I did watched some videos from school of calisthenics (the guy in your pic). He gave some really good insights into how to incorporate frog pose into your handstand training.

And glad the timeline helped. The purpose is to put things into perspective and let people know progress is progress, however slow it is.

@jbolady It’s called crow in yoga, frog in gymnastics, but they are similar or the same pose really.

Sometimes crow is taught with knees at the triceps instead of out, but I think the function is the same.