How I went from 0 to 40 seconds Handstand Hold in 12 Months

@east81 Well that's a pretty good progress, I have been training for 1 year (No previous sport background) and I went from wall planks to 5 (s) Freestanding handstand but Im nowhere 40 (s).

@joshuawithmartin Yeah don't worry, going from 0 to press handstand w/ 40 sec hold in 12 months is way faster than normal, that's insane progress. I think I hit 15 seconds in a year or so and hit my minute after 2-3 years.

@east81 That’s an interesting idea to enter the handstand from a frog pose instead of kicking up. I’ll try that, I’m afraid that may require more shoulder strength than I have. Also, did you practice every day?

@jbaker1989 When I feel like I'm making progress I do it every day. But soon as I had a set back, I stopped for a few days or even a week. I admit I wasn't being patient... Don't be me. Train 15mins every day and try not to wear yourself out. Maximize upside down time within those 15 mins, don't just try kicking up.

@east81 Hey bro, your muscle up transformation video from a month ago really motivated me. I been training using the tips you gave me and already seeing some improvements. These write ups are really helpful and motivating, thanks for putting it out there.

I used to train for Freestanding Handstand on and off, but never really sticked to it. I think my max hold before was like 3 seconds. But right now I'm doing wall handstand push ups and not really focusing on freestanding. Did you think training for both handstand and muscle ups at the same time helped you progress faster or focusing on one thing at the time would been better?

@bittergreen I did a lot of things at the same time but I focused on Weighted pull ups, muscle ups and handstand. I do muscle ups during my decent 1 hour workout and handstand whenever I like (mostly at home when I was studying or gaming) Doing handstand pushup definitely helps but you need to do it in the chest to wall version, it will teach you how to maintain a straight body line. Remember to push through your shoulders and elevate your scapulas at the top, your hold will benefit from the elevation drills.

@east81 How was your shoulder mobility when you started? Did you do any focused stretching to improve that? I feel like it's a major obstacle for me getting my handstand because I can't get a proper stack through the shoulders.

@east81 This is awesome and inspiring. Well done for having the patience and grit to get through all of the annoying beginnings where nothing is working right. In some ways, that's the only thing that separates the people who do stuff from the people who don't. Patience and not giving up!

@east81 To me, what is most impressive is that you stuck to it and made progress. Good work, keep it up (or down?), and continue to show your progress. You never know who you might inspire to do the same.

@east81 I've never been doing any progression steps to achieve handstand or any other element (proper and correct form). I simply warm up and goof around elements for about 20 minutes until I am fully warmed up for a training :D It's pretty weird but of course inspiring that some people train step by step and some just try it for fun and works in both ways. The speed of a process does not matter, as long as you working towards your goal, that's only thing that matters! Congratz on achieving the handstand!

Steps 2-4 are the most under appreciated exercises, I'd add elevated/90 degree pike push ups to also work on your shoulders for handstand! But all are great exercises!

Just out of curiosity, what are your next goals to achieve when it comes to street workout/calisthenics/elements?

@jpoppyfalls Thanks for sharing your experience bro :)

My next goal is to do full front lever and straddle planche. After that I'll try to do cleaner handstand cleaner hspus. And after different handstand shapes (diamond, straddle) and on paralletes :)

@east81 Hey! Great video. Do you have any advice for someone stuck at being able to hold by taking feet off the wall (stomach to wall) but not being able to kick into it with proper alignment?