How to eat 190g of protein a day as a vegan on a calorie deficit?

@iowakid8401 Eat some tofu and tempeh! You can buy silken/soft tofu and add it to your shake with banana and berries or eat the tofu raw w soy sauce. Tempeh is good baked in the oven til crispy with some soy sauce both very high in protein.

@harlowraina Oh sorry I didn’t run all the numbers and everything, I just recommended things i eat for protein lol most of the time ppl think they need all this protein for good gains but it’s not true

@iowakid8401 190g protein would be 38% of your 2000 calories. The general nutritional recommendation for protein is 10-30% of kcal. However I'm not sure if this differs from a fitness standpoint. It's going to be tricky and will require planning, but I also don't think you need to be too strict about it if you find it too tricky! Here is an example of a day that I whipped up:

2088 calories, 190g protein

Breakfast: tofu scramble (1/2 block tofu, 2 c spinach, onions, 1 cup broccoli, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast) and protein shake (1 scoop protein powder, 1 banana, 1 cup soy milk)

Lunch: Tempeh BLT sandwich (2 slices whole wheat bread, 130g tempeh, tomato slices, lettuce). 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers on the side

Dinner: 2 c lentil pasta with 1/2 c tomato sauce mixed with 1 c kidney beans, 1/2 cup mushrooms, onions, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. 1 cup peas on the side.

Dessert: protein mug brownie: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1/2 banana

Also gets you pretty much all your daily vitamins and minerals lol

@tyva2002 Nice work!

I was going to say if you bump the calories up around 3k it’s easy (my diet is around 200g protein with they many calories).

But you got the protein and low cals. I think I’m going to have to steal a couple of those ideas too. ;)

@iowakid8401 1.6-2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of lean body mass (body weight minus (body weight * fat percent)) is the absolute max protein that anyone would ever need

190g of protein is way more than you need

@iowakid8401 I'm in a similar situation and my info is that a) protein is just good calories, keeps me full for longer and doesn't weigh me down like carbs do, and b) working out while losing weight is good, I won't get significant gains, but it will prevent me from losing any muscle during the process of drastic weight loss.

@mama45567 Not sure if I phrased it wrong or understand my nutrition wrong. I get plenty of carbs still. Only much less than I used to, and I feel much better.

My understanding is that the body can function well on different diets, even very low amounts of carbs. The low carb/keto people seem to be all about it.

@dawn16 Low carb will give you quick results, as your body will shift to burning fat reserves, but its not sustainable, both healthfully or mentally. As long as you aren't religious about it and do it only occasionally to have some quick results, you should be fine. Just don't look at carbs as 'bad'

@dawn16 empty carbs are different than carbs though. Processed carbs will give you energy spikes, then make you feel drained. That can be useful, but if that's a high portion of your diet can affect you negatively. But complex carbs shouldn't leave you feeling anything but good

@mama45567 I wish you were wrong.

I want to believe newbie gains and being obese would help me deliver results.

Are we supposed to eat grams of protein per pound of total body weight or per pound of lean body weight?