How to not absolutely pee myself during double unders

tobyso

I feel like my double unders have really progressed. However, anytime I get past 4 or 5 reps pee starts flowing. It’s just little drops but if the WOD is 100 double unders it really adds up. In my previous box it seems like people just accepted it. I’d rather not do that but if that’s just what it is I’d like some solidarity.
24/f no births (if that’s relevant idk)

@dodgechargerfundings To add to this, sometimes it can be hard to get a referral depending on where you live. I had to see my general practitioner and she referred me to a pelvic floor PT after we had a conversation about my incontinence. I called the PT directly earlier, but they said I needed a referral from my doctor. The hassle is worth it!

@dodgechargerfundings I second this. My wife was having similar issues. She went this route with excellent results. FWIW, one of the assistant track coaches I work with has the same issue as well. You're not alone.

@tobyso A lot of people think that because it’s common, that it’s normal. But it’s not normal. See a pelvic floor therapist. Made a world of difference for me

@tobyso Ditto the others who suggested pelvic floor therapy. Sure, there are products you can get and ways to work around it, but you're definitely better off getting to the root of the issue, especially if pregnancy/childbirth is possibly in your future.

"Common, not normal" is the refrain in our gym.

@tobyso I am an ortho PT in a pelvic floor PT office- echoing the same idea but adding… it’ll change how you move through other lifts as well- potentially noticing a great improvement in bracing / ability to move weight over all!

@tobyso Can I just say I'm glad your asked this question? I feel like I'm constantly peeing myself during workouts (37f, 1 kid) and I had no idea pelvic floor therapy was a thing. I am totally going to look into this.

Thank you!

@tobyso I'm currently seeing a pelvic floor PT with the explicit goal of no longer peeing when I workout (had a baby a little while ago - struggling with leaking during running & jumping). It's annoying and hard work and not a magic bullet, but I think it's helping. Even with professional help getting something like this under control can be super tricky and take a long time, so IMO don't waste your time trying to go it alone without specific individualized advice. For example, the big thing that you'll hear people talk about is that sometimes this problem happens because your PF is too weak, but sometimes it's because it's too tense...and sometimes it's both! The fix for each situation is different.

That said...if you want to go it alone check out the program from the Vagina Whisperer. She has a video course with guided exercises and stretches and she is a pelvic floor PT. I tried it, thought it was well done, but wasn't seen improvement fast enough to went on to actually get an in person PT.

@tobyso Others here said it, but seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist is worth its weight in gold. I had the same issue with double unders and my max lifts. In 4-5 sessions (and diligently doing my homework) I haven’t had a single leaking experience.

Check out rebuilt_movement_rehab on IG. She posted an entire series of Q&As and exercises to address the situation.

@tobyso I was JUST discussing this with a fellow CFer after 50 double unders the other day. A friend of mine had a pelvic surgery that corrected the issue. I’m done having kids so I’m going to look into it. I pee sneezing, coughing, jumping, etc. So sick of it

@tobyso Hey pelvic floor PT. If you are having problems now, once you have children it will get worse.

If you can’t do that, invest in some period parties.

@tobyso Another vote for seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist. I saw one after my first pregnancy and during and after my second. Also, be careful of going rogue and “just doing kegels” on your own - you’re likely to develop imbalances. A PT will teach you different types of kegels to really target your particular issues.

Note: there ARE pelvic floor PT’s who take insurance. Look around!

As others have said, just because this is “common” doesn’t mean it’s ok and you need to settle with it.

@onamor And this does NOT mean “just do kegals and you’re cured.” Sometimes you can be TOO tight and that’s creating an imbalance, too. You absolutely need a PFPT to help diagnose.